Logging Event Caches

Camo-crazed

I was thinking about a new event cache and I was wondering if I should log a "found it" after the event?

On a somewhat related topic I was also wondering if you have a team account and a personal account, and you put a cache out under your personal account, should you log it as a "found it" on your team account?

Ehhh... I don't think so. If it's a real physical 'cache, my feeling is that if you know where it was placed (regardless of how you know; other than by searching for it) you shouldn't log a find. As for event 'caches, well like Prime said... What are you going to put in the log? "Took steak & eggs, left tip"? Just my $00.02 worth....

I was thinking about a new event cache and I was wondering if I should log a "found it" after the event?

There is no reason that you shouldn't, since it's an event. The log entries for those are now "attended" instead of "found", so if you attend, you attend. Some people don't log events at all, and that's okay, too.

By the way, this topic comes up frequently. You might do a seach on the forums to see previously expressed opinions.

On a somewhat related topic I was also wondering if you have a team account and a personal account, and you put a cache out under your personal account, should you log it  as a "found it" on your team account?

Again, it's a personal choice. I probably wouldn't unless it was going to keep appearing on my 'nearest geocaches' list and I just wanted to clear it out. But there's no harm in logging a find if you were actually there and signed the log. Some people might feel uncomfortable logging at as a find but the occasional team geocache isn't going to pad your numbers to stardom, right?

Happy geocaching,

Seth!

Last May I held an event and wanted to be able to log it with an "I Found It!" (they weren't "I Attended's" back then). I had my brother-in-law hide a cache at the event just for me, so that I would actually have something to find. To me, it seemed like a good solution.

Of course, leave it to him...it had to be the HARDEST CACHE HIDDEN AT THAT EVENT!!!! Tiny little camoed thing that blended in perfectly with the surroundings! I was searching for the better part of an hour in tall weeds, humid conditions and everyone else was listening on their FRS radios and really enjoying the experience.

I earned that "I found it!" :blink:

To thine own self be true.

Bret

It doesn't matter if the log says "attended" or "found it". It still counts as a find - and you're hosting (which is similar to hiding it). Of course you'll attend an event you're hosting. You already get credit for "hiding" (hosting) it.

If it's not about the numbers - why pad the numbers?

If it IS about the numbers - you should take a cheap "find" (attended) on a cache you "hid" (hosted).

Either way - I say no.

southdeltan

Hi,

I just hosted an event this weekend, and I both attended it and logged it as "Attended". I logged it as such because I did in fact attend the event, had a great time with everybody there, and will remember it for a long time to come.

If the "It's not about the numbers...but" crowd wishes to think less of me because of that, they are, of course, free to do so. This is a game, and there are lots of ways to play it...would I enjoy geocaching more if I didn't log my event this last weekend? Should I not log cache-hunts that were really easy to find or on flat terrain as "found"?

I would not presume to tell other to log them as "Attended", note them, or ignore them altogether because they're not an ammo-can in the woods...play the game the way you want to, the way you enjoy it.

nfa-jamie

Edited by NFA

I doubt anyone is going to attend, or host, enough events to put them at the top of the finder's list, so what difference does it make to anyone else? Fretting over this type thing is the worst waste of time I can imagine. Log it, don't log it, do whatever you like, and it's nobody's business but your own.