Trekking Poles?

ngr00

Can someone recommend a trekking pole? I use hiking sticks on occasion- the normal wood ones but I've seen some of the new trekking poles that can collapse down to 24 inches which makes it really convenient to stick in your pack if you need to scramble down some rocks. Anyone here use them and can recommend a good one?

Thanks,

ngr00

Well, if you're also going to use it for hiking, then I hear the Leki poles are the best, albeit expensive. Some come with a compass in the handle.

However, like Mountainmudbug said, you can usually find some cheap ones at a sporting goods store...they're great in maintaining balance without getting your feet wet when stone hopping a creek. They're great for knocking down spider webs in the summer time. They're great for ushering that snake off the path. They're great for impromptu fencing matches (which you wouldn't do with the Leki's!) I never collapse mine and stick it in the pack because it's usually muddy, but I can easily attach it to the back of my pack. Also, the cheap ones we have can be really hard to loosen up sometimes.

I have a nice wooden (maple) staff that I made for myself, and this past July, on a 3 day backpacking trip with my boy scout troop, I found a Tubbs snowshoeing pole wedged under a rock at the bottom of a good sized stream. Being the cheap yankee I am, I brought it home and cleaned it up, and I now have a trekking pole.

Back on topic- I've used both trekking poles and wooden hiking staffs (staves?) and I personally prefer the feel of a good wooden hiking staff... you can generally use it under more strenuous conditions, and you can put weight on it at funky angles without it breaking. If you've gotta go up/down a steep, rocky slope, either a.) throw it up/down or b.) lash it to the side of your pack

Oh, and trekking poles are no match for a good wooden staff in an impromptu fencing match!

edit: changed a) and :blink: to a.) and b.) so the b doesn't become a smiley

Happy caching

Jeff

Edited by uber_bike_geek

Trekking Poles are something that there are huge debates over. I own them and love them. Trekking poles take stress off your knees when hiking by transferring weight to them instead of your knees. I personally own a set of Leki's. They come with a lifetime warrenty, and Leki has been know to replace poles that have failed for any reason. I once read a story where someone bent one while taking a fall and Leki replaced it for free. I would highly recommend a positive angle on the handle. My wrists don't hurt after a long day using them because of this positive angle. Plus this helps you with a more fluid motion when hiking with them. Also, a cork handle feels good all day even if you are sweating. The cheaper foam handles get a little nasty feeling in my opinion. Anti-Shock is another feature that I highly recommend. Most trekking poles have interchangable baskets for use in winter activities. If you are a true follower of the LNT ethics then you will want to buy a rubber tip to go over the carbide tip that they come with. Tips on the Leki's are very easy to change if you break one. I never have and I am a little abusive to my poles. Now I don't fence with them. I've used carbon fiber poles and really didn't like them. I thought they where a little too light and didn't give me enough control of them when hiking. My recommendation is to find someone with a set and borrow them and try them out. You also might be able to test drive or rent a set from your local outfitter.

Hi

I have just completed testing of the MSR OverLand Carbon for BackpackGearTest.org and they are very nice indeed, but expensive. You can read Test Reports and Owner Reviews on various poles at http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Tr...%20Poles/Poles/ and the reports on the MSR ones at http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Tr...rLand%20Carbon/.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Andrew

A two pole convert

DeskJocky has provided you with a lot of good advice. I would like to add that the locking mechanisms can and do fail on many poles. I have not tested any poles in about 3 years since I got my Black Diamond Ascent Trekking Poles I have two friends that had Leki and (another brand) that had the twist locks and I have seen them fail when they were needed most. Another problem with twist locks they had was, to make sure they were tight (to prevent slipping) the poles were almost impossible to loosen. Also be mindful if you are using them in sandy conditions. The sand can get between the locking mechanism and the pole and result in a collapse of the pole.

There is more information on trekking poles on Backpacker.com

I bought my wife and sister some inexpensive poles from Sportsmans Guide they are twist lock so I set them at the right height and locked them down securely but where I can still loosen them(neither of them can loosen them) and they have not collapsed under my tested weight or when Fairy Flirt jumped a creek, stumbled and rammed a pole into the bank. <_<

Edited by GEO.JOE

The best we've found are retired ski poles. Not as exotic as a mesquite limb, but hundreds (thousands?) are available in thrift shops in ski country. They sell for about $1.

Sharpen the tip, so it's also a snake stick, then carry it with the leather thong on your wrist. It's great!

Leave the rubber web on the bottom to trap the snake if you miss stabbing him.

The best we've found are retired ski poles. Not as exotic as a mesquite limb, but hundreds (thousands?) are available in thrift shops in ski country. They sell for about $1.

Sharpen the tip, so it's also a snake stick, then carry it with the leather thong on your wrist. It's great!

Leave the rubber web on the bottom to trap the snake if you miss stabbing him.

Ski Poles are an option. An option that I do not like. Ski poles do not collapse like trekking poles to. This is a very nice feature. You can collapse them and put them on your pack and you don't have to worry about catching trees and bushes when going bushwhacking. The ski poles that I have tried, are heavier then the trekiing poles that I havbe used.

I won't comment on the merits of snake rangling with them. I'm sure it has been talked about before...

I use a TRACX pole which breaks into three pieces and is some what adjustable. I have trakking poles but have only used them for backpacking. Get one of the canes which I like a lot lost mine it goes down to about 12" or so. But then again I am use to using an ice axe. Go to WWW.SIERRATRADINGPOST.COM as they ahve really good deals. I am just a very satisifed customer.

cheers

Why do trekking poles sale in pairs? And do those of you that have/use trekking poles actually use them one in each hand just like ski poles?

Hi

I don't think all poles are sold in pairs. Prior to getting my MSR Carbon Overlands, I used Black Diamond Contours. I brought them as single poles and used them as single poles. Just that when I got involved in testing the MSR poles I went to two poles for the test and I am now hooked.

In terms of using them, Pete's Poles Page is a great resource. You can find it at http://www.personal.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/poles.htm

Regards

Andrew

To get the best use out of trekking poles, it is bested to use them both at the same time. Do I use them both? No, it is kind of hard to hold a GPSr and use both trekking poles. I am trying to force myself to use them both, but old habbits die hard.

Shane, came up with a handsfree approach .... it is in one of his reports on the SporTrak at http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Na...itial%20Report/. Just scroll down to the bottom for the story and photos.

Regards

Andrew

Why do trekking poles sale in pairs? And do those of you that have/use trekking poles actually use them one in each hand just like ski poles?

Yes. I started using one, kind of like a hiking staff, but a few winters ago I took to using two when walking in the snow and when the summer came the habit stuck.

It's a lot easier on the knees that way and especially useful for walking down steep hills.

Edited by briansnat