What do you trade?

bkaysimon

I've read several posts from seasoned Geocachers complaining about McToys and other such cheap trade items...as a new geocacher, I'm wondering what do carry to trade that you don't consider cheap junk? I'd like some ideas, as I do not want to be one of the people who others complain about for leaving "junk" behind...

This is a very good question.

Think of what you would like to find.

As for me, I like to find unusual things- commerative key rings, unusual (wierd?) toys, signature items, cool rocks, Beanies (or knock-offs thereof), unusual coins, Homies (Murasaki likes them a lot), glow-in-the-dark stuff...

Oftentimes I trade something I have taken from another cache. Most of the interesting stuff is interesting for a little while, as if to say 'Look what a neat thing I found'. Then I let it be neat for somebody else.

The real trick is to find a steady supply of neat things and not pay a king's ransom for them.

Whenever I go to Wal-mart, I'll look around for interesting things that I might like to find and if they are reasonably priced (seldom over 2 or 3 bucks), I buy them specifically for caching. Some may still say this is junk. You can't please everybody and you shouldn't try.

Generally IMHO, if someone would pay actual money for it in a store, I don't think anyone has a legitimate beef with your using it as cache trading material. That INCLUDES McToys- as long as they are new or in like-new condition.

There are a lot of kids who enjoy getting McToys- otherwise McD's would stop selling them. The complaints about McToys, provided the complaints do not refer to such in bad condition, are basically bogus IMHO and in the HO of many a child who participates in the sport.

So, I wouldn't sweat it too much as to what you trade as long as it is something you would not be ashamed to give to someone as a simple, everyday, gift.

Caint never did nothing.

GDAE, Dave

I usually trade what I've taken from other caches. But in the absence of other items, I toss in a few army men. Goes with my nym.

As far as it being junk, that's sort of subjective but I think in the big scheme of things it really OUGHT to be "junk". But... there is a difference between "crappy junk" and "cool junk". I like Mardi-gras type beads and army men. Cool to me, but still junk.

To sum up, I think you should shoot for "cool junk". icon_biggrin.gif

I just started doing this, but here is what I have done so far.

Toys- I have my kids go through their toys and bring me things they would like to trade for toys in caches. I reject the junk/broken ones as well as the big things that take up too much space. What we have is a big ziplock full of hotwheels, happy meal toys, dolls, puzzles and other stuff that they can leave behind when they take a toy out.

Other stuff- I bought a bunch of old roman coins on Ebay a couple years ago. I have started to put a couple in each cache I find. I also got a bunch of A&W tokens good for a free root beer. I drop one in every now and then as well.

I am an airline employee, so I got lots of airline logo stuff that I keep in my bag as well.

Where's George dollars are fun to leave as well.

These are not much in value, but I hope that someone will have a use for them or at least get a kick out of some of it.

My boys and I cache together, so we have different ideas of what to trade. One likes to leave beanie babies, the other likes to leave hot wheels cars. I tend to leave a combo of wheresgeorge bills along with: light sticks, tourist type Alaska keychains, magnets and patches. I also like to leave caribiners, U.S. Flag and state flag pins, some small pocket tools, travel packs of tissue. In the winter, We like to leave hand warmers. We carry a wide variety of items to leave.

Great ideas. I just ran through a bunch of my old storage boxes and took out all the little things I've collected over the years that are just collecting dust.

Found some silly things other people might find interesting.

I do agree that what people call "junk" is very subjective. But then, I'm more in this for the find, not so much what I might find in the cache. Although I guess I am rather fond of finding old/foreign coins in these things.

Signature? I don't need no stinkin signature!!!!

quote:
Originally posted by General Bracket:

I usually trade what I've taken from other caches. But in the absence of other items, I toss in a few army men. Goes with my nym.

As far as it being junk, that's sort of subjective but I think in the big scheme of things it really OUGHT to be "junk". But... there is a difference between "crappy junk" and "cool junk". I like Mardi-gras type beads and army men. Cool to me, but still junk.

To sum up, I think you should shoot for "cool junk". icon_biggrin.gif

For once, the General and I see Eye-to-Eye. Great post Gen. B!

Myself, corporate swag, (I work for a good company, so most of the swag ain't bad.) junk from other caches, and "Cool Junk." My definition of cool junk that is. If you've read my profile, you can probably guess that my definition means something....odd. We'll leave it at that.

Snicon_razz.gificon_razz.gifgans

texasgeocaching_sm.gifThe greatest labor saving invention of today is tomorrow....

Mr. Kane does a lot of foreign travel on business and brings back coins, which make a great cache item. At one point I bought a six-pack of half-pint water bottles and to leave in caches, but you have to time those right: if you place them in winter they could freeze and explode, but in summer they will get too hot and nobody will want to drink them.

Other things I've left: Mad Libs, key chains, chemical footwarmers in winter, Pez dispensers, travel-size sunscreen/bug repellent, a booklet of flower tattoos, glow sticks, playing cards, the occasional spare CD. I really like the tiny bottles of bubbles like you get at weddings, but other people think they're junk.

I am mostly about the travel bugs, so often I just swap bugs and sign the log.

A partial list of things I've left in caches:

US flags

flag pins

modeling clay

Energizer squeeze lights

stickers

bags of toy soldiers

pocket knives (um I mean tools)

water colors

mini screwdriver sets

allen wrench sets

gel pens

boxes of crayons or colored chalk

emergency rain ponchos

packs of AA batteries

collectable coins (buffalo nickels, indian head pennies, SBA or Sacagawea dollars)

Music CD's

Blank RW CD's

Cassettes (blank and recorded)

calculators

clip on safety strobes

bungee cords

LED key lights

"euro" stickers

decals

maps (hiking & road)

software

Hot Wheels and Matchbox cars

key rings

foreign money

movies on VHS & DVD

office supplies

Mylar emergency blankets

decks of cards

packs of Armor-All wipes

survival whistles

Wheresgeorge bills and stamps

"Au pays des aveugles, les borgnes sont rois"

Thank you all for the great ideas. I guess maybe I was reading too much into the "complaining about junk" threads....I thought maybe this hobby was about to get very expensive for me!

Some of the very things you've suggested I've already put in caches, so I'm content. I'm going to look for a signature item soon...

Based on an earlier post in one of these forums, I made up some small First Aid kits for my caches from Altoids tins.

I had never tried Alroids before and now I am hooked and have a dozen more tins.

I am thinking of making up some First Aid kits to be used as trade materials.

They contain band-aids, neosporin packets, wipes.

I'll just have to label them as Trade Materials............

DustyJacket

Not all those that wander are lost. But in my case... icon_biggrin.gif

quote:

I've read several posts from seasoned Geocachers complaining about McToys and other such cheap trade items..

It's not the cheap aspect that people complain about (in the list I have above, you'll be hard pressed to find an item that costs more than $3).

It's the junk that they complain about. A broken, dirty, or obviously well used toy, a rusty pocket knive with a broken blade, a opened pad of Post-Its 3/4 gone, a pair of sunglasses missing an earpiece, or lens, a dirty comb found on the ground near the cache, dead batteries, etc...

"Au pays des aveugles, les borgnes sont rois"

Look for a yellow box in the First Aid section of your grocery store for neosporin packets.

I thought people would like that better than sharing a tube with strangers.

I also found antiseptic wipes.

I'd like to find packaged tape strips, but have not found them outside of my trauma kit, which is somewhat old.

DustyJacket

quote:
Originally posted by DustyJacket:

Based on an earlier post in one of these forums, I made up some small First Aid kits for my caches from Altoids tins.

I had never tried Alroids before and now I am hooked and have a dozen more tins.

I am thinking of making up some First Aid kits to be used as trade materials.

They contain band-aids, neosporin packets, wipes.

I'll just have to label them as Trade Materials............

DustyJacket

Way cool idea!!! I'm going making some right away. Thanks

Snicon_razz.gificon_razz.gifgans

texasgeocaching_sm.gifThe greatest labor saving invention of today is tomorrow....