Map send direct route

Ca and Nv......72,910Kb

Az.................13,820Kb

Fl..................50,294Kb

Just on a whim I checked buy.com

Sandisk 256mb SD cards are $38.19

Sandisk 128mb SD cards are $23.28

Sandisk 64mb SD cards are $16.45

Other brands are slightly cheaper or more expensive.

I see no point in getting two separate cards. Go with the biggest one you are willing to afford.

Jamie

Just on a whim I checked buy.com

Sandisk 256mb SD cards are $38.19

Sandisk 128mb SD cards are $23.28

Sandisk 64mb SD cards are $16.45

Other brands are slightly cheaper or more expensive.

I see no point in getting two separate cards. Go with the biggest one you are willing to afford.

Jamie

I agree with going with the biggest one you are willing to buy. It makes it simpler to just have one card for everything. Dell had a sale awhile back on SanDisk 1 Gig sd cards for $70.00. They may still have it going on. If you do search their site, make sure to look under home and home office. I found out they have different pricing for home users and business users--even for the same product.

My geocaching partner and myself both bought one for our Dell PDA's from them. I have every Mapopolis state map east of the Miss. loaded with room to spare on this card.

LSUFan

just a note, but sandisk cards are known to be one of the slowest SD cards around. i know at least in a PDA, using a sandisk SD card means slow reads, searches, program launches, etc. not sure how it works with a GPS but figured it'd be worth mentioning if someone wants to do a test (ie searching for an address and calculating a route in DirectRoute, etc.)

just a note, but sandisk cards are known to be one of the slowest SD cards around.

Is there a report of this available somewhere?

I use Sandisk in my GPS and camera... I'm not sure why. Somebody recommended them long ago and I've stuck with them, having no problems.

If new information was available, I might reconsider my brand loyalty.

Jamie

just a note, but sandisk cards are known to be one of the slowest SD cards around.  (ie searching for an address and calculating a route in DirectRoute, etc.)

I use Sandisk cards in my Meridian Gold, Digital camera, MP3 player and in my pocket PC and I have never had a problem with the speed of these cards. I have heared this once before but I have never seen any real proof of it anywhere, it could be this is another internet base urban myth.

Edit: Just to add, onebrow is asking about memory req. for loading maps on an SD card, the questions was not "Which SD card is the best"

Edited by JohnnyVegas
just a note, but sandisk cards are known to be one of the slowest SD cards around. i know at least in a PDA, using a sandisk SD card means slow reads, searches, program launches, etc. not sure how it works with a GPS but figured it'd be worth mentioning if someone wants to do a test (ie searching for an address and calculating a route in DirectRoute, etc.)

It's the difference between milliseconds. If that little bit of time really counts, you're already in trouble.

It depends on the software

Map send TOPO

Ca and Nv. ... 61,537Kb

Az................. 19,742Kb

Fl.................. 23,482Kb

Map Streets and destinations

Ca and Nv......52,883Kb

Az..................15,571Kb

Fl...................27,080Kb

Map send direct route

Ca and Nv......72,910Kb

Az.................13,820Kb

Fl..................50,294Kb

Im not that literate in MB, Gig, etc. So my next question is what would be the best size card for my needs assuming I get the Mapsend Topo or the Directroute.

Using simplified addition with Johnny's numbers:

Mapsend Topo ~ 94mb

Mapsend S&T ~ 95mb

Mapsend DirectRouts ~ 137mb

So the 128 card would just about cover all of it. You'd have to trim some edges with DR. Or you can splurge for the 256mb card and not have to worry. Ever.

Jamie

Using simplified addition with Johnny's numbers:

Mapsend Topo ~ 94mb

Mapsend S&T ~ 95mb

Mapsend DirectRouts ~ 137mb

So the 128 card would just about cover all of it. You'd have to trim some edges with DR. Or you can splurge for the 256mb card and not have to worry. Ever.

Jamie

A 1 gig card is equal to (4) four 256 Mb cards , (8) 128 Mb cards or (16) 64 mbs, etc.

I have a Meridian Color and just bought a 256MB SD card for $25. There was also a $15 rebate so my net cost is $9.99. I am waiting for the 512 MB cards to drop to $30 and will get one of them. I have seen them at $35 after a rebate. Forgot to mention that I got this deal at Fry's. Same as Outpost.com online.

B)

Edited by doubledipper
I have a Meridian Color and just bought a 256MB SD card for $25. There was also a $15 rebate so my net cost is $9.99. I am waiting for the 512 MB cards to drop to $30 and will get one of them. I have seen them at $35 after a rebate. Forgot to mention that I got this deal at Fry's. Same as Outpost.com online.

:cool:

Doubledipper can you provide the link for that 256 Card?

Doubledipper can you provide the link for that 256 Card?

I am afraid that this was a retail sale that was in last Saturdays Seattle Times newspaper. I apologize that post about them being Outpost.com confused anyone about the deal also being online. I never bothered to look online, I just went to the store on Sunday and picked one up. However, I do see similare deals deals online sometimes for a similar brand with the same net price after a rebate. I believe the sale ended Monday.

just a note, but sandisk cards are known to be one of the slowest SD cards around. [...]

It's the difference between milliseconds. If that little bit of time really counts, you're already in trouble.

We ought to point out that the new fast or "highspeed" cards are significantly faster, and a bit more expensive, than the traditional SDs. The difference I've seen on camera's, pda's and card readers is the about 1.6mb/s compared to 9.5mb/s on read and writes which is a HUGE difference when throwing digital media files (photo's, video, music) or digital topo/maps through the system.

My feeling is that if you're dealing with large files (and assuming your device can take advantage of the speed improvements) you'll regret not getting a fast card for the extra $25.

SimpleTech, among others, are reliable producers of fast SD cards. There are some websites which have done research on the differences betwen manufacturers and indeed they can be noticable.

-t-

I have two of the 128 mb SD cards from Walmart (Impact brand). I am using the first one in my Lowrance Ifinder as a detailed map card. I tried to use the 2nd Impact card to upgrade my firmware version, but the Ifinder would not recognize the card. I loaded the firmware upgrade onto an older 32mb Sandisk card at the suggestion of Lowrance tech support and it worked fine. As a side note, I put the unrecognized 128mb Impact card in my digital camera and it works fine.