Europe Gps Gets Go Ahead

kbootb

Have a look whose in one of the consortium, iNavsat consortium comprises Thales, EADS and Inmarsat. If this one wins, some of the Americans will be throwing a tantrum ;).

For those who don't ever pop into the main forums, I'm reffering to Thales who are a French company, who manufacture Maggelan GPSr's. Think Iraq.

Dave

Edited by Mancunian Pyrocacher
If Galileo is actually launched will current GPS units be able to use the signals

Yes the two systems are compatable

Why are the Americans apparently so upset by the Galileo project?

Because they wont have control off it, hence the aggrement to switch of the signal any any area were there is military action involving the other. Also Galileo will have services for sale, on top of the free basic signal. And finally the Chinese are getting involved, as the tests on the Yang See river showed.

Will it actually go ahead?

Yes, because of the above, and also the initial spending on it is being sorted for allocation.

Dave

Excellent news, kbootb!

There had been some very serious 'differences' between the Italians and the Germans, but fortunately they did the adult thing of keeping lines of communication open and they have now reconciled their differences and restored their previously healthy working relationship.

Don't worry about the 2008 completion date. We'll be able to use the system long before then, just as some of us were using NavStar GPS for 10 years before it was finally commissioned and certified.

Abolition of Selective Availability reduced the error by about two-thirds. WAAS/EGNOS has further reduced the error by about the same proportion. Galileo will reduce the error by about two-thirds again.

Probably the biggest improvement will be in urban areas, as the number satellites increases from a couple of dozen to five dozen.

The Murricanes are miffed about Galileo for several reasons. It will break Uncle Sam's mononpoly on SatNav (Russia's Glonass is now a shadow of its former self and is fading). There had been some discussions in the Pentagon about starting to charge civilian users for the service, but with Galileo online that will become completely impractical.

GPS is used for several things other than navigation. Its extremely precise time signals are used for all sorts of applications, from synchronising alternating current phases in power distribution grids to synchronising frequencies in cellular telecoms. With the world becoming more and more dependent on the service for such basics of 21st century life as electricity and telecomms, the US military has enormous potential power. Europe's civilian Galileo takes that power away from the Murricane military at a stroke. Hence they're a bit miffed.

Just as Airbus Industrie broke Boeing's global monopoly over large airliners, so too Galileo breaks the Pentagon's monopoly over SatNav.

Cheers, The Forester

my gps runs slower with WAAS enabled.

Does your WAAS-enabled GPS run slower than you can walk?

We already established I was driving my car, firing on all cylinders ;-)

If you need WAAS for geocaching (even though probably less than 1% of caches were placed by a cacher using WAAS corrected coordinates) then you really aren't looking hard enough. Waiting for those map redraws while its turned on is a PITA, especially when you are approaching the junction and need to know which lane to get in now, not in 30 seconds time...

Waiting for those map redraws while its turned on is a PITA, especially when you are approaching the junction and need to know which lane to get in now, not in 30 seconds time...

That sounds like a mapping software issue, not one of processing the satnav data into a useable fix.

My Magellan has no problem producing a fresh fix every second -- with or without WAAS.

The issue of whether the increase in accuracy from 3 metres to under 2 metres is perhaps moot because the resolution of the DD.MM.MMM format which we use in geocaching is coarser than the accuracy which Galileo will give us.

The major advantage to us geocachers will be in the greatly increased number of available sateliites which will be a boon in built-up or very craggy areas.

That sounds like a mapping software issue, not one of processing the satnav data into a useable fix.

My Magellan has no problem producing a fresh fix every second -- with or without WAAS.

Processing the correctional data obviously uses cpu time which could otherwise be used for map redraws, and for me it's not worth it just to gain a little more accuracy. Not that my Garmin takes any notice of the EGNOS birds at the moment anyway!

More satellites is always good, getting a fix in London can be a nightmare...

getting a fix in London can be a nightmare...

I know exactly what you mean.

Yesterday I did a cache trail (a multi) along the main thoroughfare of the old part of Edinburgh. I walked about half a mile without getting a single good fix. In the end, I went to the public library and plotted the final fix on a very large scale map to see where I should be going.

Having a constellation of 60 sats will make such treks a lot easier to navigate with our GPSrs.

Cheers, The Forester