Mag Lite Conversions

I bought an LED one from Hong Kong on eBay for 1p. I've not been given it yet (it's a present), but it should be fine. I've also got a AA Maglite which is not too hot to be honest in my opinion, even on Duracells. I may give the Maglite LED conversion a go (£18 from the states is a starting price so far).

I wouldn't convert my maglite, LED torches are good, I use one at work all the time, but I don't think they perform brilliantly in very dark situations. The beam is very scattered and they don't seem to lend themselves to cache hunting so well.

As for battery life, I've got a 6D cell maglite and in 3 years I've only ever gone through about 4 sets of batteries, it's really not an issue. Plus if you were to come across any unruly muggles it would make a great weapon ;-)

This is what I use when out and about at night. I also carry a mag too. You can also get a laser flare that attaches to the back of a mini mag, although it can still be used standalone. They are quite handy (and pricey), but you can signal a rescue party or aircraft 20 miles away. I got the one up from the mag version.

:P Drool, Hmmmm gadgets.

I'm not sure if the LED conversion is focusable (spelling?) and here in N Ireland Halfords are selling Maglights up to 3D cells for under £20, price reduction on all models.

Maglights are still my favourite. Key ring LEDs are fine. Battery management is the main point. I have seen a 6 cell maglight ruined when leakproof batteries weren't and the torch had been neglected for some time.

Shouts to wife, stage left Darling, could I add one more thing to Santa's list?

031fd1bd-60e9-4ce1-8ea8-eb77862fa8da.jpg

I bought this 1,000,000 candlepower beast at Homebase for £10. It's a lot lighter than their 2 and 3 million cp models and I don't suppose I'll ever miss those extra ANSI lumens. You can see it also has a smaller light built in which is perfect for navigating paths and woodlands to save the big lamp for 'serious hunting'. It has a rechargeable battery inside and was supplied with both a 240v adaptor/charger and a 12v cigar-lighter lead, which is inside it. So I can recharge it between caches if it's starting to look low. If it runs out of juice for the main lamp there's still 1/2 life left in the small one before it goes dim.

I also carry a tough waterproof torch (£3? from Tesco) when I expect to be in more hazard-riddled situations. Or underwater. :P

I'd have a small LED torch as a back-up, but thus far I've not been let down by the gear I have and my attitude can be summed up in those famous words; If it aint broke, don't fix it.

SP

This is what I use when out and about at night. I also carry a mag too. You can also get a laser flare that attaches to the back of a mini mag, although it can still be used standalone. They are quite handy (and pricey), but you can signal a rescue party or aircraft 20 miles away. I got the one up from the mag version.

Isn't shining a laser at an aircraft supposed to be a bad thing?

Also, I'm not sure if a super-narrow beamed light is what you need if you're trying to catch the attention of someone 20 miles away. What are the chances you'll get the beam to pass across their pupil? You can't hold it perfectly still, so unless you're very lucky they'd only see a flash anyway...

If I was on the high seas or in the mountains I think I'd be happier with my own big torch, or perhaps a distress flare or two? Perhaps a pro would comment on the search and rescue / safety credentials of laser-pen devices.

SP

Edited by Simply Paul

Isn't shining a laser at an aircraft supposed to be a bad thing?

Also, I'm not sure if a super-narrow beamed light is what you need if you're trying to catch the attention of someone 20 miles away. What are the chances you'll get the beam to pass across their pupil? You can't hold it perfectly still, so unless you're very lucky they'd only see a flash anyway...

If I was on the high seas or in the mountains I think I'd be happier with my own big torch, or perhaps a distress flare or two? Perhaps a pro would comment on the search and rescue / safety credentials of laser-pen devices.

SP

Maybe you should read how you use the device first

I just have (the info is tucked away on a side page rather than 'out front') and anyone who knows how lasers work will spot several errors in the FAQ section of the product description. It's shocking how some manufactures 'ignore' basic physics and the inverse-square law when describing the capabilities of their product. I still doubt its worth as an emergency signalling device and would again welcome the thoughts of anyone with air-sea-rescue or mountain-rescue experience.

SP

I just have (the info is tucked away on a side page rather than 'out front') and anyone who knows how lasers work will spot several errors in the FAQ section of the product description. It's shocking how some manufactures 'ignore' basic physics and the inverse-square law when describing the capabilities of their product. I still doubt its worth as an emergency signalling device and would again welcome the thoughts of anyone with air-sea-rescue or mountain-rescue experience.

SP

I know one of our MR guys has one...i also still carry two hand flares anyway

Most Search and Rescue helicopters now use night vision goggles to detect missing persons at night. They can spot cigarette ends (which of course none of us use!) from several miles. A 10 mega squillion candle power torch will probably blind them from a great distance!!

If alerting one of these SAR helicopters, do not shine the light at them directly.... or else.