Salamander (or Is It A Newt?)

BeachBuddies

I always enjoy the threads with pictures of snakes and such... here's another one.  We found this guy (and lots more like him) at a puzzle cache today.  He'd make a good tie-clip, but I left him with his friends  :P  I didn't realize these guys were active this late in the season.

<picture>

That looks like a "red eft", the pre-adult stage of the red-spotted newt.

Edited by RichardMoore
Found this guy next to a cache a few weeks ago

Wow, your camera's a lot better than mine.. what kind do you have? Is it a digital?

yer out of focus Beach -

probably tried to get too close - on digitals this can be hard to determine if you don't have a real viewfinder (or at least it is for me).

a little more light would have helped also. some of the graininess (look at the newt) is likely due to lack of light. do you have a flash? most digitals are really hard to focus in low light situations also. You can't focus what you can't see. And the camera can't either (auto focus).

good photos do not always have to do with expansive high end cameras. My first camera was a 640x480 camera that wrote the image on a floppy (Sony Mavica). I took thousands of great photos with that camera.

good photos usually can be had with getting used to using the camera and practice. learning the little tricks and troubles with a camera goes a long way to good photos. All cameras are different, work different, and have their own little querks.

The brown spotted guy looks very much like the brown spotted salamander which we kept for a season when my children were small. He ate mostly earthworms and did well in the aquarium with pebbles, a grassy area, and a small pond.

The OP, is not familiar to me, but I believe that many newts have some sort of "fringe ears" on the sides of their head, and that one doesn't appear to have that.

Googled "newt" and found that newt and salamander are often used interchangably, as soft-bodied amphibians.

Edited by Robespierre

Nice picture. My camera is a pretty cheap digital. I can't control the focus at all, other than to switch between close-up and everything-else mode.

But, it was cloudy that day, the flash didn't go off for some reason (I don't seem to have control over that either), and it's tough to take a picture of your own chest hehe (that's my excuse anyway) :P

Here is a picture of a little orange friend I ran across while caching. He/She actually helped me find the cache. His/her bright orange color caught my eye, and then my eyes were drawn up slightly to find the hiding place of the cache. He/she was very calm, and allowed me to take several pictures.

cabb5d0f-1a3a-46a4-9929-7ade452eca21.jpg

I'm guessing this guy is a newt...rough skinned newt subspecies. These guys will live in the water most of the time, but will migrate out to mate. Note the bright coloration...it' svery poisonous! If you touch one of these guys you need to wash your hands before eating anything.

The chemical is extremely toxic and only a small amount is needed to kill. Great shot by the way...very pretty amphibian!

Here is a picture of a little orange friend I ran across while caching. He/She actually helped me find the cache. His/her bright orange color caught my eye, and then my eyes were drawn up slightly to find the hiding place of the cache. He/she was very calm, and allowed me to take several pictures.

<picture>

That looks like a "red eft", the pre-adult stage of the red-spotted newt.

The same thing as the OP, but a better picture. :P