Crazy Multi: Do I Log A Dnf?

amytincan

Several multis around here (Seattle) aren't meant to be finished in one visit, or are at least complicated enough that they are rarely completed so quick. Therefore, it is common to post notes about one's progress, but not post a DNF until a failed end-search. I personally wouldn't post a DNF until I was looking for the final, nor would I post a Find at each waypoint (which is far worse since it would give you multiple cache credits). Then again, check if there are special instructions included on the cache page itself that might void my comments... It is also good to know how secretive you should be about the information you divulge. This might even include being vague about how many waypoints there are, types of containers or hiding method. These types of caches are almost always full of great stories in the notes. The “Found” logs are usually relatively boring, since the finders are completely wiped out by that point!

One exception might be a destination cache. If I know I’m only going to try once for a multi (perhaps far from home), and I lose my way at one of the waypoints and it is never found, I’ll post a DNF. That lets people know that I came and looked, and that part of the search proved more difficult. Future cachers can keep that in mind. I will also have a record that I searched for this cache in the past and if I decide to come back, I’ll know where I failed.

When I begin a multi but don't finish it--because of logistics, I typically will log a note stating my progress and intention to finish later. Such as:

"Found the first two stages of this multi, figured out the coordinates for the last part. I'll going out tomorrow to find it." = note

If I stop my hunt because I couldn't find one of the legs, or couldn't figure out part of the multi, I log a DNF regardless of whether I intend to go back. As in:

"I found the first stage of this multi, and I got the coordinates for part two but when I went to look, there were too many muggles to get near the cache site. I'll have to try again later." = DNF

Jamie

amytincan: Here's the simple rule I follow "Not signing log = DNF". It doesn't matter the reason, I still log it as a DNF. Just be clear when loggin the DNF why you're logging it. A DNF due to darkness is one thing but a DNF due to missing stage is another.

Also, a DNF is not a sign that you did anything wrong. I've seen posts from people who get the impression that logging a DNF admits defeat, they're not worth, blah, blah, blah. There's no shame in a DNF. Log them with pride! :lol:

Zack

I never log a DNF unless I've really looked in every hole and under every stone I can see at the coordinates. It happens quite often that I go out for a quick cache hunt, lift a few stones, then stop because I'm bored or because it's getting dark or because I'm hungry or some other reason, and then come back a few days/weeks later and continue. Unless I have something interesting to say I usually don't even log a note until I've either found the cache or given up completely.

Edited by larsl
amytincan: Here's the simple rule I follow "Not signing log = DNF". It doesn't matter the reason, I still log it as a DNF. Just be clear when loggin the DNF why you're logging it. A DNF due to darkness is one thing but a DNF due to missing stage is another.

Also, a DNF is not a sign that you did anything wrong. I've seen posts from people who get the impression that logging a DNF admits defeat, they're not worth, blah, blah, blah. There's no shame in a DNF. Log them with pride! ;)

Zack

well, I guess I wasn't sure to log it because it was a 5 stage multi, which I hadn't planned on searching for all 5 legs in one day. I emailed the owner, but haven't heard from him yet.

Actually, I would say if you did some of the stages and not all, then log a note, say you've done stages 1-3 or whatever...

Now, if you did the first four of a five stage and the reason you didn't do stage five is it's missing, it's a DNF, if you didn't do stage five because you ran out of daylight or were already planning to make it a multi day trip, then it's a note.

well, I guess I wasn't sure to log it because it was a 5 stage multi, which I hadn't planned on searching for all 5 legs in one day. I emailed the owner, but haven't heard from him yet.

I still think I would log it as a DNF - just state that you found x out of 5 stages, called the hunt off due to darkness, but hey, different strokes for different folks.

Zack

There are no specific rules -- do what ever feels right.

My approach to this is as follows, in case you are interested:

1) found some stages but ran out of time -- no posting

2) could not find some intermediate stages or final stages -- DNF

3) came back a 2nd time and had success -- post a find log, but leave DNF post

Sometimes I have posted a note when I'm working on a difficult multi that clearly is going to take more than one attempt, just to let the owner know that someone is attempting his/her cache. Cache owners particularly like this when you have a good story to tell about the adventure.

The way I deal with logs is pretty simple:

Multis where I found some parts but didn't look for them all - typically no log at all.

Multis where I realised I'd got one part wrong so couldn't get the right coordinates - note.

If I can't get to a cache because of external factors (such as a park being closed) - no log unless opening times are surprising (like a park being closed on a sunny Saturday lunchtime) in which case I'd post a log.

If I can't find a cache but only spent a few minutes looking for it - no log at all.

If I can't find a cache after spending a reasonable amount of time searching - DNF log.

If something mentioned is clearly missing (such as when the cache sheet saying "the cache is under the bench", and all the benches in the vicinity have recently been removed) - DNF with explanation.

This is just the way I do things. Personally I think life is too short to worry too much about doing it the "right" way, since everyone will have their own view of what the "right" way is.

UPDATE, the first stage has been muggled. I found where it is supposed to have been. Hooray! Now I know its not a DNF or is it.

As far as I understand it, even with conformation that the cache is gone, it was still a DNF for you. Whether or not you choose to log it that way is up to you, but I'd log it as a DNF so that others that look at the cache page know what has happened. Or, if you really don't like to see the frowny face, at least log it as a note. Of course, don't put too much info on the details of the hide, that'd make it too easy for future hunters ;)

I used to hate logging DNFs, felt it was a wound to my pride. Then I realized that if everyone thought this way no one would ever know if a cache had been muggled. Looking back on it, some of my more memorable (and funny) logs have been DNFs.

Just my two cents.

Shannon

VegasCacheHounds