Aol 9

I have just recently loaded AOL 9 onto my computer. Since doing this I have been having problems submitting TB & cache logs, changes to pocket queries & cache page descriptions.

If I open it up in Explorer it loads perfectly. The problem being that the change/ submit icon clicks but nothing happens.

The problem doesn't always happen, but it is starting to get annoying.

Does anyone else have the same type of problem and if so are they using AOL 9?

Hrrumph.

AOL - AOL 7 experience - loaded onto the family PC, which the wife also worked at. Everything crashed and during the process erased everything in the whole world.

Result - I'm in the doghouse. I buy her a new PC. I spend £200 having an IT boffin reterieve evrything that disappeared.

Obviously all my fault.

AOL don't feature in our house anymore!! :blink:

Just make sure you clean out all the Internet rubbish from your PC regularly. Someone we know complained that things were slow and he couldn't access pages on the web... and his Temp Internet folder had about 10,000 files in it. There are zillions of downloadable programmes to clean-up for you. We run ours several times daily and have no problems with AOL9 such as those you describe. Also run progs to clean out spyware bugs - Spybot or Ad-Aware are good.

I probably agree that AOL is a nightmare, but it is far too much trouble changing my email address, as the amount of people and sites that I would have to inform would take days to sort out.

I think I will take the advice and start browsing with IE

Thanks so far to everyone that has commented.

I'll still keep this open as there may still be someone with more advice out there.

Hi Haggis Hunter, I had exactly the same problem you are having with AOL9, couldn't log anything, TBs, caches etc. :D

If I opened IE directly no problem. :lol:

Like the advice already been given I got rid of AOL, as I don't have Broadband access, have to use dial-up and everything has speeded up. Only connect at about 40k, but it is a lot quicker without AOL :lol:

Nick

We're amazed at the adverse comments about AOL! We have been with AOL since it first started and, sure - like every other piece of software - there have been occasional problems. We've probably rung their tech support, or spoken with them on-line, a handful of times and problems have always been sorted painlessly. AOL is not susceptible to the dreadful problems Outlook-whatever-it's-called causes and our 1mb broadband wireless connection is quite superb with 4 PCs running simultaneously. AOL is also available when we travel abroad, and we've emailed back home from the jungles of Costa Rica, the Australian outback, remote parts of New Zealand, all over the USA and many other places.

We're VERY glad to fly the flag for AOL.

Five reasons you should be wary of AOL -

1) They wrap your communications in their own protocol which means thing are a lot slower per connection speed with them than with another ISP.

2) You tend to get far more spam as spammers know that that is where the largest user base is and 'guess' AOL email addresses more than they will with other ISPs.

3) In AOLs 'attempts' to fight spam, they will reject valid email on your behalf. For example, I run my own mail server and I cannot send to any AOL user as they have blocked my mail server. This is not because I have an insecure server or because I send spam ( both of those reasons do not apply in my case anyway ) but because my perfectly legitimate server is on a dynamic address. Big crime isn't it? By doing this they are contravening internet rules, but they do not care. Secondly, if these forums ( Groundspeak ) were to notify forum members by email of new messages to threads that they had subscribed to and traffic reached a certain level, AOL would very soon block all email from grounspeak to all AOL users as they would consider Groundspeak to be spamming! They have done this to my certain knowledge to another forum to which I subscribe. In that case they refused to discuss the matter with the forum owner and the forums then had to tell all it's registered users to update their profile with a different ( non AOL ) address.

4) In June this year it was revealed that an AOL employee had sold the AOL user database to spammers. Do they really deserve your money if they do not have sufficient safeguards to prevent this? http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/06/24/aol_spam_insider/

5) You will be looked down upon by spotty geeks who'll refer to you as an AOL LUser :huh:

OK.. we accept what Roberts-tribe has said - we've read it all on various forums anyway over the years. All we are saying is that AOL has provided US with a damned good service for many years and we are satisfied. We don't sit here measuring the speed of the connection to decimal places and 99% of the spam goes into the dedicated spam folder where it can be deleted with one click. Both of us run Yahoo groups on subjects not related to GC and experience very few problems.

Guess no ISP is perfect - we know someone in the networking line who works from home and depends on his connection. It's with BT and he never stops complaining!

Thank goodness geocaching is "passive"!