Email On Geocaching.com?

Know Future

This has probably come up before, but would it be possible for geocaching.com to host an email server? I think it would be great to have know_future@geocaching.com for an email address to use for geocaching-related correspondence. I'm sure it's technically possible. Is it feasible? Is anyone else interested in this? Comments?

While I'm sure it could be feasible I'd certainly hope it didn't become automatic.

All it would take is a spammer to spider the members list and have everyone's email address and it would be hard to stop it without changing handles.

Plus, even if it didn't become automatic I'd think Jeremy wouldn't want the hassle of having to deal with spammers trying to connect directly to the server trying to get an acknowledgement that a certain email address exists.

While it would be nice, I don't think it likely to happen.

Now HERE'S an idea.

If I want to send an e-mail to Stunod, wouldn't it be cool if all I had to do was send it do stunod@geocaching.com? Or better yet - what if there was some type of form I could fill out that would e-mail the cacher and forward it to their own account.

The only thing that might be better is if I got a copy of that e-mail sent to me...

Sorry for being harsh. :P

Jeremy has already said no...

Geocaching.com E-mail Address for Supporters

Now HERE'S an idea.

If I want to send an e-mail to Stunod,...

Why don't you just talk to me face to face like a man?? :P:)

(Like maybe next Saturday?)

I agree with everyone against this idea. The harvesting of screen names from the forums, cache listings and logs would be a spammer's dream.

The only thing that might be better is if I got a copy of that e-mail sent to me...

Why clog up your inbox with copies of mail you send when you could just check your sent folder?

Why clog up your sent folder with copies of every single little email if you can check "email myself a copy" for just the emails you really want a copy of?

Why clog up your inbox with copies of mail you send when you could just check your sent folder?

Well if you send mail through the site there is no sent Folder and you need the copy

I took the conversation to mean email being sent through an email program off-site, since the poster wanted to send email to stunod@geocaching.com, which isn't supported on the site.

Why clog up your sent folder with copies of every single little email if you can check "email myself a copy" for just the emails you really want a copy of?

That's silly. So now you would have a copy in your sent folder and in your inbox. Are you posting just to hear yourself talk?

he is talking like I was of using the site e-mail I believe

Site email does not allow username@geocaching.com type emailing. Site email is sent to the username and then forwarded to a off-site email address, except for perhaps the case of Jeremy and some other geocaching.com employees/admins.

If I want to send an e-mail to Stunod, wouldn't it be cool if all I had to do was send it do stunod@geocaching.com?

Gosh - nobody can tell when I'm being silly.

The first line that Cachew Nut quoted was only mildly silly. The rest of my post was an effort to show that e-mailing can already be done from the site without having to provide an e-mail address and service. There's a form that can keep e-mail addresses from being harvested for spammers, yet provide an e-mail system for people to contact other cachers if they know their name.

Jeremy's already answered this question, so it sounds like all of this discussion is moot anyway.

(sigh)

That's the last time I try sarcasm in the forums. It just never seems to work.

If I had a priority list, this would be way below site upgrades, bringing locationless caches back and working out a solution for virtual caches. It is a non-issue, and reviewers don't even get to have a personal address (EX. mtn-man@geocaching.combaby).

I'm not worried about it personally nor do I want this site becoming an email server. I would rather it focus on being a geocaching site.

The first line that Cachew Nut quoted was only mildly silly.

Why would it be silly? That's exactly what actually happened last time you asked for this.

All I'm saying is that if this new mail system ever happens, I don't want to send an email to markwell@geocaching.com and then get spammed with a carbon copy to myself, that I didn't ask for.

The last time you asked for this, the change was made and we all had to spam ourselves for over half a year until Elias finally added a checkbox to disable this "feature" (which, by the way, is defaulted to the wrong setting, IMO) :laughing:

Edit:typo

Edited by cachew nut