Just A Thought

zoltig

I have noticed that more than a few times our beloved fellow cachers that have passed away, are fondly remembered in the forums. I am not trying to divert that, but I was wondering if an "In Memoriam" thread could be pinned so people will be able to eulogize their friends. Post pics and links and send their thoughts along to the families and it wont get lost through forum time.

We are, after all a community. Believe it or not.

Three cachers that I know of come to mind. Maybe the first link in the threads would go right to their profile.

This is only a thought.

"In Memoriam" thread

Ham radio operators have something similar called "Silent Key". I was thinking that geocachers could come up with an appropriate title. Geocaching is a much younger organization, and as such, is a long way off from filling up such a thread. We've had many "geocides", but that's a totally different matter. :lol:

Thankfully it doesn't happen too often so the forum pages aren't exactly filled with them. I think each person would deserve a thread of his, or her own in their regional forum, unless it was someone who was widely known , in which case this forum would be appropriate.

I'm not trying to start an argument; I understand your reasoning behind this thought.

But, I very seldom frequent my regional forum, and thereby am not limited to only feeling a sense of comraderie to cachers in this geographical region. This is a global community . Its not proximity to people that gives a sense of connection for me, its the mutual love of the outdoors and this hobby that makes me feel a kinship with those who call themselves cachers.

Even though I may have never met you, if I know you are a cacher, I feel regret over your mis-fortunes, joy over your achievements, and honored to be associated in a menial way with you through this hobby. Hence, the loss of a cacher causes me to stop and reflect on whats important, and pay a silent homage.

Whether the suggestion to have a pinned thread is honored or not, please don't make people feel they can only find a sympathetic heart in those who live near them. This hobby spans the globe, let our support do the same.

Perhaps a pinned thread with only one post per deceased cacher, and a seperate thread, not pinned, for the community's tributes to that cacher? They are forever (in relative terms) mourned via the one post on the pinned thread, and we still get to express ourselves.

Arizona lost a cacher too recently.

Edited by Tsegi Mike and Desert Viking