Cnn To Air Geocaching Story

sept1c_tank

I haven’t seen anything. I did see a little blurb around 2:30 PM Saturday saying something about geocaching and that the story was to follow. I was in another room when I heard the word “geocaching,” and rushed to the tube in time to see a close up of an ammo box and then a GPSr. The reporter was saying something about the lower cost of equipment and the increasing popularity of geocaching.

Searching the CNN website, I found some links from very old stories (2001) and this interesting advertising link on the same page: G.P.S. The Movie

"The movie is based on the newly popular GPS treasure hunting. The movie is a suspense/thriller/horror film. Join our mailing list for updates. The contest will integrate many different ideas including but not limited to, GPS (Global Positioning Systems), compass, maps, coding, puzzles, trivia, paintball guns, and more to help you obtain the ultimate treasure in the ultimate gps scavenger, treasure hunt adventure game. This contest, and the movie has no affiliation with any other related site such as Geocaching.com, Scavengerhunt.com, Realburiedtreasure.com, etc."

But no new news. Hopefully somebody saw the news item. :laughing:

:lol:

Found it, Not a bad presentation, lasted about 3-5 minutes, forget to time it. They showed a cache page that had been placed by mtn-man and the puppymonster. Didn't show enough of the page to see which one. I thought it was well done.

Cache Well

Edit to add name of the hider with mtn-man.

Edited by LordSaw

The rest of the show was good too; I watched the whole thing. The had an interesting segment about using GPS to fight forest fires. The geocaching piece was quite accurate and probably have been nearly the same with almost any geocacher out there.

Edit: Question answered by post above!

Edited by Enspyer
They ended up going to both caches actually.  The only filmed the 3rd Anniversary Cache though.  I was at a CITO Event and a wedding today so I will have to try to catch it Sunday.

the cacher mentions a small pocket knife being in the cache. :o

;)

I needed to go by 33 1/3 anyway. I guess I get to check both. Thanks Uper! :lol:

Was at the same CITO/GGA Meeting event and missed this segment as well. I'll probably also miss today's. Hope someone in the area can record it so I can see it sometime (hint) :lol:

.... and I was glad mtn man said 3rd Anniversary was the 50 cal shown cause I know 33 1/3 is a heckofalot bigger than that --- you can fit a kid in that container, lol!

Hey mtn man, you can get another smilie when you go check on it. My NCAA cache isn't too far from 33 1/3 :o

Hi, it was a very fun cache and they edited the piece very well. I spoke with them about the GGA and cito, but they didn't mention either in the show. All in all it was a very pleasant experience, and I got a free GPSR out of it from Magellan. (An explorist 200, alas no data or power cable available so I can't really reccomend it. But it makes a good backup GPSR to my Garmin e-trex.)

Chose a Mtn-Man cache for the area (silver comet)and I had a TB to drop in the neighborhood.

Emilymaus napped through the actual cache find, and as for muggles, the editing does not give away the cache location.

All in all a very pleasant experience.

Happy trails all!

Rixart

Nicely done. One of my favorite parts was the log of mine they showed...

July 27 by mtn-man (799 found)

ACCCKKKKKK!!!!

Thanks for the note.

I saw that and laughed! I was sure that your note was probably in response to someone saying "hey, guess what, I just saw this cache on TV!" or something like that. Am I right? ;) I tried to look up which note it was but I couldn't find it.

Nice clip.

I just saw it too on CNN Headline News. It hit the record button on my TiVo so my wife could see it. It runs 2 minutes, 38 seconds.

Correspondent Daniel Sieberg, CNN.com's Technology Editor, goes on a geocache hunt with Rick Clawson and Rick's daughter, Emily, with Emily in a stroller. Rick is using Magellen's Explorist GPS. The narration has references to geocaching.com and mentions prizes being sponsored by Magellen and Jeep. Sieberg and Clawson find an ammo box cache and look through it's contents which include a Jeep Travel Bug.

Sieberg has an article on Geocaching on CNN.com dated Feb. 1, 2001, in which he talks to Jeremy Irish and also includes a picture of Jeremy. There's a talking head in the CNN Headline News piece who is not identified, but based on the picture in the online article was probably Jeremy also.

Nicely done.  One of my favorite parts was the log of mine they showed...

July 27 by mtn-man (799 found)

ACCCKKKKKK!!!!

Thanks for the note.

I saw that and laughed! I was sure that your note was probably in response to someone saying "hey, guess what, I just saw this cache on TV!" or something like that. Am I right? :P I tried to look up which note it was but I couldn't find it.

Nice clip.

Nope. :)

It was a log in response to someone saying that construction was going on close to a cache of mine (neither of which was featured in the story). The cache appears to be fine so far though. You can see that the note was back in July of course. It would appear that they were surfing through my hidden caches. Parts of three different cache pages were shown in the story.

FYI... The Log