Can I Post A Locationless (reverse) Cache?

ka6aru (Jim)

When you tried to post one, did you read the guidelines for submitting a cache first like it tells you to?

There's some respect for ya.

:huh:

One of the Mods told me once, not to expect respect in any of the forums except for in "getting started". That seems to be the only place where people, even new folks, can ask a question without smart a$% replies.

The first few people that posted could have answered this question, easily enough. It would have taken the same amount of effort and time as the smarty pants replies.

It all comes down to manners :P

Not disrespectful at all.

If he followed the directions he would have had his answer already.

I don't know, seemed a tad condescending, and by extension, possibly disrespectful.

How about:

Ka6aru, currently reverse (locationless) caches are not being approved. You can see here (link) for a discussion of the same. Also, please note that the guidelines for submitting a cache (which are required reading for submitting a cache :huh: ) speak to the same issue.

Seems more diplomatic.

To tell you the truth, however, I'm the pot calling the kettle black. What caught my attention was the (tacit?) sanctioning by the Mod.

Well, the OP is not new to caching by any means. Sure, I COULD have answered the question, but then would he learn anything? Apparently he hasn't hid a cache in some time, and a lot has changed since then. Suggesting he read the guidelines was really MUCH more helpful then just saying "No its not allowed". Maybe if he actually reads the guidelines his next post won't be "why wasn't my virtual allowed?" or "the #$%^ approver declined my cache in a National Wildlife Refuge!".

Well, the OP is not new to caching by any means. Sure, I COULD have answered the question, but then would he learn anything? Apparently he hasn't hid a cache in some time, and a lot has changed since then. Suggesting he read the guidelines was really MUCH more helpful then just saying "No its not allowed". Maybe if he actually reads the guidelines his next post won't be "why wasn't my virtual allowed?" or "the #$%^ approver declined my cache in a National Wildlife Refuge!".

Well said.

No, the OP is not new to caching, but as you say may have been away for a while. He is certainly not a regular forum user either. I do think that your response could have been a bit more tactful tho. Having a mod chime in with the same tone does not help things. Answering the question and then recommending that they read the guidelines would have been much better. It does not seem that this person is a complainer like mention, yet- but that kind of response from members of this community may turn them into one in short order.

No, the OP is not new to caching, but as you say may have been away for a while. He is certainly not a regular forum user either. I do think that your response could have been a bit more tactful tho. Having a mod chime in with the same tone does not help things. Answering the question and then recommending that they read the guidelines would have been much better. It does not seem that this person is a complainer like mention, yet- but that kind of response from members of this community may turn them into one in short order.

Well said.

Not disrespectful at all.

If he followed the directions he would have had his answer already.

I don't know, seemed a tad condescending, and by extension, possibly disrespectful.

How about:

Ka6aru, currently reverse (locationless) caches are not being approved. You can see here (link) for a discussion of the same. Also, please note that the guidelines for submitting a cache (which are required reading for submitting a cache :huh: ) speak to the same issue.

Seems more diplomatic.

To tell you the truth, however, I'm the pot calling the kettle black. What caught my attention was the (tacit?) sanctioning by the Mod.

I agree the question could have been answered this way.

No need to jump over the guys back for asking a simple question.

Not everyone that comes to the forums is a regular and may not be aware of issues that have been ashed out over and over.

I feel some of the regular posters here do more to chase away people that may be interested in learning something and becoming a contributer.

I don't know how many times I've seen situations just like this one. Someone comes in and asks a legitimate question and someone jumps down that persons throat for simply asking a question.

His question wasn't posted as anything bad or a "Why the **** can't I post Locationless caches!!!!"

It was just a simple question that could have been answered with a nice answer.

Take a step back sometimes and remember not everyone knows what you know.

I guess I was misunderstood. I did not mean that ONLY new people should be treated with respect and good manners. I don't care if someone has been caching as long as Dave Ulmer or just 2 hours. Everyone deserves, and should expect, the same respect and good manners as anyone else.

And there are “some” forum posters that always come across rude and flip when they reply to a question. It takes the same amount of time, thought, and energy to answer the question as it does to be silly about it. In short, if you have no intention on trying to directly answer the question, why waste your time posting anything?

Now back on topic.... Oh wait… the question has been answered. g'bye.

:huh: Can I post a Locationless (Reverse) Cache?

I tried to post one but Geocaching.com doesn’t have a place for one…

Are they still aloud?

I have two ideas that have not been thought of yet…

TNX, Jim

Hey Jim (KA6ARU)!

Amazing what a simple question can stir up, huh?

I believe the question has been answered; locationless cache are not being allowed at this time.

There is a list of locationless caches here

Here is the skinny from the guidelines:

Reverse Virtual (Locationless Caches)

Locationless caches are a variation of virtual caches, but with no specific location to visit. Instead, the cache hunter is instructed to search for an object that meets certain criteria and report its coordinates. Many times the seeker is also asked to provide an original photograph of the location to provide proof of visitation.

In the future these will have their own section, but currently there is a moratorium on new locationless caches.

Ed

IBTL

Edited by The Badge & the Butterfly
We like locationless reverses, I wish there was some way the site could revive them in some limited way. We'd be willing to pay for them...They are like a scavenger hunt, items of which you keep in the back of your mind... We've found most of ours while on trips looking for traditional caches.

How are reverse virtual caches handled (or not)? Not being familiar with all the jargon, I'm refering to someone being given clues to a virtual, and solve it by returning with the coordinates and some information about the object there.

Is this close enough or the same as a locationless (reverse) cache, or do I need to start another topic, or further clarify what I'm talking about with someone who knows more about these things?

...Often times it is not the message, but the delivery.

I agree, delivery does account for a lot. It helps if everyone doesn't display xenophobia towards newbies or even old timers with a newbie type question.

For the forum curmudgeons telling a kid to look up Zenofohbeeya is just training people to be future curmudgeons. An honest question deserves an honest answer. Then if you must point to the guidelines or other useful information, do so after the answer. Or take lessons from Markwell on how to do it right. Normally we are dealing with adults, not kids. Treating people as such only breeds ill will.

Edited by Renegade Knight

OK, I think enough has been said.

If you don't have anything to add regarding the question "Can I Post A Locationless (reverse) Cache?", I would ask you not to post to this topic and let it fall down the page. I think the OP's question has been answered.

Edited by mtn-man
How are reverse virtual caches handled (or not)? Not being familiar with all the jargon, I'm refering to someone being given clues to a virtual, and solve it by returning with the coordinates and some information about the object there.

Is this close enough or the same as a locationless (reverse) cache, or do I need to start another topic, or further clarify what I'm talking about with someone who knows more about these things?

I'll respond to this one.

Locationless Caches are not the same as Virtual Caches. What you describe is a virtual cache (go to these coordinates and verify that you've been there by answering a specific question).

A Locationless Cache (Reverse Cache) is the complete reverse of caching: Here's some criteria of a location - now go out and find something that matches it, and tell me your coordinates.

A virtual cache might be set at N 46° 50.141 W 121° 43.885 to tell me what the plaque says at Camp Muir on Mt. Rainier (since it's in a National Park). You can only log a cache like that by going to that spot.

A locationless cache would be "Tell me the coordinates of plaques set in stone above 10,000 feet." The plaque at Camp Muir would qualify, so the first person visiting it would report the coordinates of N 46° 50.141 W 121° 43.885. However, there might be another plaque on Mt. McKinley that would qualify with different coordinates.

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...tionless+caches

heres my own topic I started about locationless caches it started a big argument but i think it was okay. Anyways I think the answer is because locationless caches soon got to be pretty stupid and there was no fun to them except to pick up your numbers so you can't make em and so your stuck with what you got