Would This Be Cool Or Lame?

drag-racer

You maybe could tell from my username that I'm into Drag Racing. I thought it would be cool to buy some little dragster toys and start placing those into caches we find. We've looked at several x-mart stores but can't really find what I'm looking for. Everything I find is way too expensive, or just plain garbage. I don't want to leave "trash" in any cache so I'll just go with what I have for now.

I was just now thinking about maybe building some small wooden dragster toys. Something simple that I could build for a couple of bucks each maybe. Cut out a simple one piece body, sand it down, paint it, add some fat tires on the back and skinny tires on the front....sounds about right. :ph34r: Think this sounds like a good idea or should I just wait until I can find "store bought" dragsters?

[edit] JUST FOUND THESE.......The one in the back is similar to what I had in mind. All I'd need to buy would be the wheels so it wouldn't take much to build them...other than a little time on my part.

Edited by drag-racer

After looking at your link, it became apparent that the tires, and the little person in the car can be bought at any good craft store (Hobby Lobby, Michaels) in multiple quantity bags at a reasonable price. That would only leave the car body and the axles to worry about, and if you bought one from the link for a pattern you would have it made in no time.

Sounds like you are on your way to building a "Signature" item!

One that is like your calling card. Good Luck, and the kids will love it  :unsure:

Exactly!...that's what I was going for. I have to admit....it was actually my wife's idea. :ph34r: But I like it.

I'll try making one or two and see how big of a pain it's gonna be. Don't want to spend all week building one little car....LOL.

I'll post a pic for your approval before I actually leave one. :blink::blink:

Edited by drag-racer
I wood call that a COOL! idea

Good One! I get it...

<back on topic>I'd rather have something like that as a trade/sig item than something that wasn't custom... it shows a lot of time & effort and therefore makes it more "valuable" in my opinion.

Edited by Zoptrop

No real plans to be anywhere near Utah soon....sorry. :P

Thanks for all the words of approval. I'll hit a few crafts stores and see what I can come up with for wheels. I think I can easily cut the bodies out of junk I have around here already. Be cool if I could burn my sig into the bottoms somehow. Will probably just use a sticker or maybe just a permanent marker(Sharpie).

Like I said, I'll post a pis for your approval before I actually leave any. So stay tuned. :P

Great idea. You might want to number them and track their travels. If you didn't want to go the wood-kit route maybe you could make them out of old spark plugs ( I know drag racers have plenty of these) and some old nuts or washers. A little spray paint and you can letter them as you please.

got a boy scout office anywhere near you? if you do, you can stock up on those pinewood derby cars... they're about $3.50 each, i think. you can make each one unique against the last one.

I believe Michaels (the craft store) sells derby cars. Not sure on the price. With the derby cars, you can paint it as much or as little as you want.