Does Anyone Out There Use Gpxsonar?

The_Crane

Me too - exactly the same setup as the Molinnis Crew. Saves a lot of paper and the only snag is that you don't have any photo spoilers but then how many of us do print them off before going out?

Combined with Memory Map to see where nearby caches are and the best order to approach them and a Vista for the final approach it makes a powerful tool.

Yea I use it loads but not Memory Map I use and easier Navigation software called Navio and I use TomTom to see where they all are just asking as it never gets a mention.

As for the spolier if you open them online before you go out you can hold them in the iPAQs memory of if your like me when you realy need them just download them in the field

Graham

Edited by The_Cranes

Not seen the 'memory map' that people mentioned in other posts.  Can anyone provide a link please?

MemoryMap as requested :mad:

Thanks for all that posted the link.

It's my birthday in a few days and I was already looking at this mapping product from Fugawi Fugawi OS maps Has anybody seen it/used it? It does look fairly similar to Memory Map but cheaper.

I've never seen anyone here mention the Fugawi, but many have come up with MM. Was this an informed choice? i.e. is there something that MM does that the Fugawi doesn't?

I dont think that MM can be used on palm based pda devices, where fugawi can, but from what I have heard MM has more usefull features. I cannot back this up with hard facts it is only what I have thought from reading some posts about the 2 products, I have never seen fugawi in action. I am delighted with my memory map though and think it is my most usefull peice of software.

OK

Now as I asked about the GPXSonar I'll ask this you all say you should use MM. Can anybody tell me why you all feel this piece of software is worth the price. I hardly use a map when caching but do always carry a paper one when walking but again don't look at it much just like to know its there. So why do you all use MM what do you use it for?

Graham

I'll ask this you all say you should use MM. Can anybody tell me why you all feel this piece of software is worth the price. I hardly use a map when caching but do always carry a paper one when walking but again don't look at it much just like to know its there. So why do you all use MM what do you use it for?

I use it to make sure I know where the footpaths start, check the terrain, find out about any exclusion areas, you know... the usual stuff.

The reason I don't buy paper maps any more? Size, tears, rain, number of maps needed for the areas I go to. I'm also a techno-nerd :mad::P.

Before I went to the digital maps, I tried caching without a paper map sometimes and spent more time trying to find the access path to the cache than finding the cache itself.

Have you ever tried folding paper maps on a windy day?!

Hence the PDA version is a lot better, you can plot caches on it, see where the paths are, hooked up to a GPS, it can tell you exactly where you are in seconds. With multi`s you can plot a position on it, and see where the nearest path is, without sending you over the muddiest part of the field.

Also we use it for cache placing, look at the map and see where would be a likely spot to place a cache, quick look at the aerial maps to see if its suitable.

Well thats what we use it for anyway.... :mad::P

Pengy

Thanks

I guess I can see the use for the paths for multi in field. I can and occasionaly do scan maps into the Navigation software I use but that is rare. To be fair most of the multi's we've done the routes are fairly clear based on the direction of the next cache.

OK one last question on it whats the navigation goto screens like on the new version the last time I looked at it I didnt like much. I do like a compass style go to function thoug I guess I could get used to others. The simple software I use is Navio

http://www.tinystocks.com/gps.html

I might take another look at MM as so many people use it.

And yea I have folded many a map on a windy day and wet ones too. :mad:

Graham

<<So why do you all use MM what do you use it for? >>

We travel around the UK in pursuit of our hobbies geocaching and birding and over the years we have amassed a good number of OS Landranger maps but these seem to be more expensive every time we buy one. If you use LR maps, then MM is much cheaper than buying all the paper maps. For example, one segment of the UK we have on MM cost us £39.95. To buy all the paper maps would cost over £100. The whole of the UK can be obtained from MM for about £220. To do that with Landranger maps would cost nearly £1000.

Our ageing eyes also appreciate the "blown up" picture which MM can provides by zooming in. Prior to using MM I always used to scan appropriate parts of LR maps and print them at doube size. That is no longer necessary.

Lastly, there are various ways to have the caches marked on MM maps and by clicking the icon one can get all the info one needs to "do" the cache.

the pain is that you cant use Tom Tom and Memory map at the same time as they both use the same com port

Franson Gpsgate Here will let you share your gps com port with several applications at the same time.

The cost is $29 which is about £17.

You can also get a 14day free trial.

It works well for me.

Edited by Lennie's Keepers