Loosy Cache Replacement

AtoZ

Just got back from dropping off some TB in one cache and then showing the wife the other one cloose by. The first one was a five gallon bucket hidden for kids to find and the FTF on it put it back with the lid not even on. I pulled it out of hinding and the lid fell off. The second cache hidden well was bearly covered, and it is very well concelled. What do you do just go in with life or send folks a note saying be more careful next time pleases.

Cheers

In the logs, I would mention the state that the caches were found in. If it was the same cacher that found them before you did, it might serve as a subtle signal that they should take more care in replacing the caches, or a somewhat-less-subtle signal to the rest of the caching community that they might need to keep an eye on the caches that this person finds. If they make a habit of leaving lids ajar and the like, then someone might drop a hint that they should take a bit more care with these things, for the sake of the caches and out of respect for their fellow cachers.

or a somewhat-less-subtle signal to the rest of the caching community that they might need to keep an eye on the caches that this person finds.

I've done this. After my home town was "pillaged" I made a point of stopping by several caches that were easy and quick to get to when I was in the area and sure enough nearly every one was exposed. I never did contacted the person, as I suspect they wont be back again. I guess when you've found over six thousand caches you don't have time to cover them up properly.

I've done this. After my home town was "pillaged" I made a point of stopping by several caches that were easy and quick to get to when I was in the area and sure enough nearly every one was exposed. I never did contacted the person, as I suspect they wont be back again. I guess when you've found over six thousand caches you don't have time to cover them up properly.

I too have had the experience of following-up a "great name in caching," only to find that they repeatedly failed in citizenship.

Ya know, I doubt the OP inteded thisi to be a 'let's bash CCCooper/BruceS/Team Alamo thread. It sounded like a pretty innocent question to me, but I guess the vultures are hungry for deceased equine again. <_<

I had 10 of my caches 'pillaged' (oh the humanity) two weeks ago. They were all left the way I saw them when I had the courtesy to check on them before they were sought. However, the terrain around several of them looked quite different from when I hid them. I guess some local elephants had also been looking to find them. :blink:

As a rule of thumb I replace and cover a cache like it is one that I own. Being "Last to Find" is *not* an honor.

I always replace it EXACTLY HOW I FOUND IT. Each person hides things differently. If it seems like it should have been different, then i'll email the owner and say something like

...hey, I found your 'xyz cache' on the ground under a log, but after reading some old log entries, they elude to it being tied to some tree limb. Just thought I'd let you know how I found it and rehid it.

I try to clean up and rehide a cache so that it is not so obvious if I find it in the open. Many caches lately have been full of dirt and leaves but closed. Odd!

I generally send a note to the owner telling of the condition - usually full of junk too when in that state. I don't carry a lot of swag so I can't fully rehab a cache but I have at times. Put out a lot of pens - even accidentally (HA!).

It amazes me to find a cache that was obviously meant to be IN some kind of 'hole' but I find it sticking out. Are others trying to help us 'find' it? Or are they just lazy and in a hurry (to find the next one?)?

Ya know, I doubt the OP inteded thisi to be a 'let's bash CCCooper/BruceS/Team Alamo thread. It sounded like a pretty innocent question to me, but I guess the vultures are hungry for deceased equine again. <_<

And at the same time, you're the only person who named their names... :blink:

And at the same time, you're the only person who named their names... :blink:

On the other hand, it is a pretty exclusive club, I think Wimsey was being kind by including Bruce and Alamo, since it was pretty clear who they were talking about with the 6K thing and all. Just for the record, having hunted with CCCooperAgency many times, I have never seen them not take the time to hide the cache back exactly like they found it.

But as mt little brother is so fond of saying, "You've got players and player hater's, a man with no game can't stand those who do." There will always be those who cannot imagine that others are able to achieve what they cannot. these will also be the first to claim that they would not want to achieve whatever it is in the first place for whatever reason. Generally they fall back on it not being an achievement, or it not being "pure", whatever that means.

To keep on topic, I check my hides regularly and often find them in the wrong place, some stuff migrates as far as twenty feet. I think the real problem is that people do not look at how a cache is placed before they pick it up. They just grab and after they sign they say, "Now how was this in there. I make a point of looking closelybefore I pick it up and then not moving once I pick up the cache. I see so many people take the cache over to a log or a bench to sit down and look through it, then they are not quite sure which hole/tree/lightpole, etc. it was hidden in, so they place it in the one that seems most logical to them. The key is to take your time and be responsible even when you are knocking down big numbers.

Not everyone logs their finds. Some think it is just a way to get free stuff.

I found a cache, T/N L/fishings lures SL/ and replaced it better then I found

it because heavy rain had washed away some of the cover. The next cacher posting was unkind in comments about it being left uncovered so it looked like I did it. The fishing lures I left there were never logged as being taken so I went back and sure enough they were gone.

The point of this story??? The logs don't tell it all so posting to the site may

make someone look bad that did nothing wrong. I would just e-mail the owner

and let them adjust the hide the way they want it. Some want it hard to find

and some don't. Also, Many children are involved and not cautious about lids.

And at the same time, you're the only person who named their names... :o

varsgeld writes:

I guess when you've found over six thousand caches you don't have time to cover them up properly

I only named names of those cachers who fit Varsgeld's description. If yours was omitted I humbly apologize. :blink:

On the other hand, it is a pretty exclusive club, I think Wimsey was being kind by including Bruce and Alamo, since it was pretty clear who they were talking about with the 6K thing and all. Just for the record, having hunted with CCCooperAgency many times, I have never seen them not take the time to hide the cache back exactly like they found it.

The only thing making this club exclusive is the time and energy committment necessary to get to 6K finds. No other barriers exist. :D

Other than that I'll echo everything MB posted. (except I have only had the chance to hunt with them once).

Bottom line-if you find a cache in a compromising situation then hide it the way you think it was. No one that I know just leaves caches sitting out in the open where nonplayers can find them. Finding hidden containers is what this IS all about. Oh yea, and having FUN. :D

For the record, I do not know who this is. My comments did not specify anyone.

I agree with Wimsey wholeheartedly, the only thing that makes it exclusive is desire and committment. I looked at Varsgeld's post and it was obvious who they were talking about, CCC is the only cacher I know of who has crossed the 6K mark. That is why I said that Wimsey was being generous Bruce and Alamo are both hanging right around 5K if I remember correctly. In my experience, humble as it may be, the high numbers cachers do a better job than alot of people when it comes to cache stewardship and citizenship. For the most part, they have several hidden themselves and know how frustrating it is as a cache owner to have someone not take the time to rehide well. Part of the problem is that you have heard of them and their names stick with you. Three cachers may have visited in the same week, but you have never heard of the other two so you don't remember them, but you see that CCC was there so it must have been her that left your cache uncovered. I notice that no one is getting their kicks picking on SBUX today, if CCC was there you can nearly count on the fact that SBUX was with her. The fact is alot of people can't stand "power-cachers" for whatever reason, so whenever they find an opportunity to blast them or slander them they jump on it. It sure would be nice if these forums were a place where you could discuss any topic related to geocaching without it turning into a mudfest.

It amazes me to find a cache that was obviously meant to be IN some kind of 'hole' but I find it sticking out. Are others trying to help us 'find' it? Or are they just lazy and in a hurry (to find the next one?)?

As I posted to a similar thread on the 'Getting Started' forum:

One of my caches ( Bushwacking With the Beave ) was found out in the open twice. The third time, I contacted the last finder and was assured that he placed it back where it belonged, under the root bole of a live tree. When I went to check on it, it was apparent that a good sized mammal (perhaps a groundhog, or one of the resident beavers) had decided to move in to that hole, and he kept evicting the cache container. The cache was relocated above ground.

I've seen this happen on another cache, where an animal (squirrel, perhaps?) kept ejecting the micro cache from a knot hole in a tree. The point is: it's not always a thoughtless human inconveniencing the cachers.

<_< I am shocked . . . I have cached directly behind CCCooper, etal (grand people I HAVE met) and found that the caches were left in grand (if not better) condition than they were placed . . . this, when time constraints (an event) would have dictated a slovenly handling. Let's keep the joy in Geocaching!