Can't Edit Logs At Website

Hynr

I don't think this was the issue. I created a log and right away noticed that I forgot to drop a TB. The edit button was greyed out. I have done this at times before and I never had any problems.

Just now I noticed that it is now fixed and I can edit my logs again. Thanks.

I would say that being able to edit a log is a feature that should not disappear. I have created logs where I inadvertently said things I should not have said (or just included embarassing typos). It seems that I have always been able to edit these even weeks after the log was created. Maybe I don't understand the techincal issue here.

One issue that may be a concern are cachers who like to change log types, DNF-found or note-found etc. A bigger issue may be cachers who want to upload a picture and have to wait to get film developed. Maybe the same time frame as used for posts in the forums may be good. The delete/new log thing is always an option of course in all these cases....

Edited by Corp Of Discovery
I'd prefer to able to edit my logs, too.

Hate those typos!!  :D

Its not only the typos.

A few hours ago somebody posted a potential spoiler while logging another cache of us. He was unable to remove that one unless writing a complete new log and deleting the old one. Does this make any sense??? :(

Regards,

Roger

I implemented some code last night and it was something I had added as a possible feature. It actually wasn't meant to go into production yet.

I do see merit in restricting logs from being edited after a certain timeframe, but I'll hold off for now.

There's a cacher locally who invariably writes the wrong log for the wrong cache and usually has to re-do it. Also, I can think of at least one instance where our friendly neighborhood approver, *gln, put the wrong log on a couple of caches that were in need of repair and were about to be disabled. I showed him the error of his ways, and he is now in humble admiration of my attention to detail. :(

I switched it back for now.

All of the issues listed above could involve the deletion and reposting of a log entry. The large issue here is continuity of log entries. The log should be a time-specific log, not something that can be changed at will, like changing a DNF to a find. If you didn't find it one day and found it the next day, that's two visits and two logs.

I understand the spellcheck, etc, but not the issue about having to re-enter it if after x number of days you want to make a change.

All of the issues listed above could involve the deletion and reposting of a log entry. The large issue here is continuity of log entries. The log should be a time-specific log, not something that can be changed at will, like changing a DNF to a find. If you didn't find it one day and found it the next day, that's two visits and two logs.

I understand the spellcheck, etc, but not the issue about having to re-enter it if after x number of days you want to make a change.

Gotta agree on that. I guess in a way it forces those with DNF's to keep their DNF and write a new log for their find. But, I don't think it will change the cacher's minds that never log a DNF and only wait till they have a find. May even get some folks that used to log DNF's to quit doing it, too. Either way, it doesn't have any profound effect on me, as I always spell perfectly, always log DNF's, and never make any mistakes on the cache log I'm entering! :(

Perhaps it could be set up similar to the cache page? The content of the log could still be edited, but not the type?

A bigger issue may be cachers who want to upload a picture and have to wait to get film developed. Maybe the same time frame as used for posts in the forums may be good. The delete/new log thing is always an option of course in all these cases....

Good point.

I agree there should be a "lock" on editing logs, but maybe after about a week.

A bigger issue may be cachers who want to upload a picture and have to wait to get film developed. Maybe the same time frame as used for posts in the forums may be good. The delete/new log thing is always an option of course in all these cases....

Good point.

I agree there should be a "lock" on editing logs, but maybe after about a week.

But "upload images" is a seperate link from the "edit", was it locked out too?

You could continue to upload images after the time has elapse. You just couldn't change the text.

Personally, I believe you should only have a day at most to change your text. If you have to drop off a travel bug, use a note.

Instead of restricting edits, I may just send additional log notifications if you change your log after a certain amount of time, so the owner is aware of the change.

You could continue to upload images after the time has elapse. You just couldn't change the text.

Personally, I believe you should only have a day at most to change your text. If you have to drop off a travel bug, use a note.

Instead of restricting edits, I may just send additional log notifications if you change your log after a certain amount of time, so the owner is aware of the change.

I like this idea. I think that as owners we should be able to know when someone changes their log. That would also cut down on the worry that people change notes/dnfs to finds.

I don’t think 24 hours is long enough. Many times the edit of a log is in response to the cache owner providing some feedback. You do have to give time for this; it may take the owner a day or two to get back to the person who wrote the log entry and it may take that person a little time to make a change.

I recently posted a log that the cache owner was upset with. He did not want to delete it but he was unhappy with what I said. We were able to resolve our differences by having me change my log. It took a few days to get that resolved.

I would say that giving us a week to edit a log would cover all instances that I am aware of.

I personally thought 2hrs was fine. If there really is a need to edit it after that, how hard is it to copy and paste your old log to a new one, make the edits, and delete the old one?

I think I see where Jeremy is going with this. Right now the cache owner gets a copy of the original submitted email. Not the edits. It's possible right now for someone to edit a log days, weeks, even years later, after it's scrolled off the page and not likely to be seen by the cache owner. The edit could be a spoiler, or it could be something offensive. Perhaps someone has an issue with the hider, and goes and back-edits all his logs on the hider's other caches to something offensive or posts a spoiler just to be mean. Or say someone geocides and decides to change all their logs the F.U. or something?

I respect that a person "owns" their log on my cache, but it's also part of my caches history. I would hate for someone to rewrite that history 2yrs later when they can't get a cache approved and quit.

I would be fine with a 24 - 48hr range, especially if you lose the "edited by" line for that duration. I don't know why, but I hate that. (I hate it in the forums worse, where you get the "edited by" line 10 seconds later.)

--Marky

Edited by Marky

I may be misunderstanding things here, but it seems to me that the primary motivation for making the logs uneditable is so that the cache owner receives notifications on late edits. It may be that the best solution for this is to have the cache owner emailed any time a "late edit" takes place on a log. Currently, "late edits" have a line of text automatically added to the log indicating when the edit takes place. It may be that the best solution would be to also have any such late edits automatically mailed to the cache owner.

This would address the issues of spoilers being added / removed, inappropriate langugae being added to log, and changing DNFs to Finds without the cache owner being aware of it. I think the main issue is one of notification of changes, rather than prohibition of changes. If there is a mistake or error in a log, I see no reason to prohibit the mistake/error from being fixed later. Sometimes it takes days or weeks to find the error in the log, particularly if the cache owner is on vacation.

(One would not want *all* edits mailed to the cache owner, as that could result in a lot of emails to cache owners for all of the little "typo fixes" made when logs are first written.)

--ken