A Hole In The Ground

Imajika

I know we are not supposed to dig in the ground to hide a cache but what about a pre-existing hole? If you were walking in a park and found a hole that served no purpose and was not an animal dwelling, would it be okay to hide a cache there?

My team has a cache idea but we wanted to get the opinions of other cachers on this one. The cacher would not have to dig for the cache and we wouldn't dig anything up to hide it.

You wouldn't have to reach into 'god knows what' or be terrified that something down there was going to bite you. It would be safe for everyone. No further damage would be done to the hole because the cache just lifts out of the hole. The cache IS NOT buried!

The cache itself is in two parts. There is a plastic tube that acts as a liner and protects the surrounding dirt, the actual cache is inside the liner tube and just lifts out of the tube.

Does anyone know of any other caches like this? Or are they never approved? Should we just give up on this idea?

Thanks for any opinions!

Yes, our cache would be flush with the ground (I hope if it gets approved, no locals are reading this!) :blink:

I think a lot of people here know what kind of hide we are thinking about. I just didn't want to say exactly what it was because we want it to be a surprise! :lol:

I'll send anyone a PM explaining exactly what it is if they promise not to tell and they don't plan on looking for it when/if it gets approved. :lol:

Edited by Imajika

I have one that is inside a structure made of concrete but it has a dirt floor. There was a low spot where you climb in and some one had put a leftover blob of concrete there to fill the hole and make it easier to get in and out. I just placed an ammo can in the depression and replaced the concrete on top of it.Now when a cacher enters they will step on the caches hiding spot!

We're kinda local, but don't get down to Denver a lot. There's a cache up here in Greeley that is similar - placed into the ground, but not completely below ground. The lid to the container actually has pieces of bark and dirt glued on top of it - pre-attached camo! It was a fun hunt, and easy to rehide!

~Jared