Great Ny/nj Loop Caches

briansnat

Ramapo Valley County Reservation

cab28d93-1ca6-4a22-b9be-7130717c67b2.jpg

Notes: Really nice 8.8 mile loop hike which allows you to bag the new caches recently put out by weathernowcast and wjgrun. Parking is at the main lot off Ramapo Valley Road (Route 202). The following are the trails which were taken: Silver Trail -> Schuber Trail (Orange) -> Red-Silver Trail -> Shore Trail (Blue) -> Cannonball Trail (Red) -> Bushwhack (PK's favorite type of trail) -> White Trail -> Hoeferlin Trail (Yellow) -> Shore Trail (Blue) -> Bushwhack -> Pipeline -> Halifax Trail (Green) -> Silver Trail. Total hike in the snow should take around 6 hours if you take your time.

THere are actually a few more caches along this route. I can think of 3 or 4 right off the bat.

Ramapo Valley County Reservation

cab28d93-1ca6-4a22-b9be-7130717c67b2.jpg

Notes: Really nice 8.8 mile loop hike which allows you to bag the new caches recently put out by weathernowcast and wjgrun. Parking is at the main lot off Ramapo Valley Road (Route 202). The following are the trails which were taken: Silver Trail -> Schuber Trail (Orange) -> Red-Silver Trail -> Shore Trail (Blue) -> Cannonball Trail (Red) -> Bushwhack (PK's favorite type of trail) -> White Trail -> Hoeferlin Trail (Yellow) -> Shore Trail (Blue) -> Bushwhack -> Pipeline -> Halifax Trail (Green) -> Silver Trail. Total hike in the snow should take around 6 hours if you take your time.

THere are actually a few more caches along this route. I can think of 3 or 4 right off the bat.

Yup, there sure are... however, already found those previously so they were not captured in this tracklog screenshot :[

As today was a bank holiday, good time to enjoy the day off at Bear Mountain :ph34r: Ended up hiking 17.3 miles over 9 hours on a nice lollipop loop with highlights including Bear Mountain Bridge, Anthony's Nose, and Bear Mountain.

fc34d27d-6f76-4347-a818-5f87ba1bfb69.jpg

There are a few other caches that can be grabbed near Doodletown if you want to forgo the Camp Smith Trail (Blue). The following was the trail order: 9W Bike Path -> Cornell Mine Trail (Blue) -> 1777E -> Appalachian Trail -> Route 202 -> Appalachian Trail -> Camp Smith Trail (Blue) -> Route 202 -> Appalachian Trail -> Unmarked Path -> Major Welch Trail (Red/White) -> Appalachian Trail -> Unmarked Path -> Appalachian Trail -> 1777E -> Cornell Mine Trail (Blue).

For President's Day ended up hiking 13.8 miles over the course of 12.5 hours with wjgrun in Abram S. Hewitt State Forest.

I feel I should mention this for those of you who don't already know George: I live with a nutbag.

Those ridges are steep and rocky and separated by a swamp. Yes, I'm the jerk who littered a ridge with no trails with caches :P, and George and Wjgrun did prove it's technically feasable.. But, I certainly wouldn't recommend doing all of those in one day! (and I certainly didn't place them all in one day!)

A more reasonable loop for a single day would be to park along Warwick turnpike near the BrianSnat cache: Lame Roadside Cache #121: Green Brook, GCZ73T

and walk Clockwise to: GCN0BD CG1P094 GC1P08Z GCTGDQ GC1P095 GC1P091 GC1P096 and GC1P098

Most of these aren't too far from a trail, and it'll still be a pretty long loop. And it's a loop, not a zigzag :)

This loop hike I think should be called "Tour de Ramapo". Nice grueling 16.1 mile hike in just under 7 hours to grab wjgrun's new caches. Will be planning on something similar but for Ringwood.

1b0e177c-534e-4e5e-bad1-33bc296151ea.jpg

Disclaimer: Would not recommend the above unless you have plenty of water, are in good shape, and somewhat insane :(

Should we start another thread for hikes under 12 miles long

That would be Sunrise Stepoff, which reminds me, anyone can put together a group hike and post it there. I do not own the thread, despite what some would have you believe. The original premise, group, cache, keep to less than 6 miles, don't make it too severe so it can be enjoyed by the broad range of cachers without becoming a death march.

Edited by Packanack

I remember when this thread was about Great Ny/Nj loop hikes, but it seems to have morphed into a thread about 'extreme' hikes. Should we start another thread for hikes under 12 miles long? :anibad:

Seems to be because George is the only one contributing to the thread anymore, and these are simply the kinds of hikes he plans. Feel free to add to it with some shorter suggestions! Pretty sure anybody who wants to is allowed to post in here :laughing:

I remember when this thread was about Great Ny/Nj loop hikes, but it seems to have morphed into a thread about 'extreme' hikes. Should we start another thread for hikes under 12 miles long? :anibad:

Everyone caches for different reasons - I myself enjoy a nice long hike to challenge myself and get my mind off from work while hiking for a goal, geocaches in this case. To each his own.

If you examine most of the tracklogs I post, it is possible to omit a few loops and thereby make the hike shorter. Also, it is possible to use cutover trails to reduce the size of the loops. While my hikes may be lengthy and not appealing to everyone, it may give a conceptual idea to how much area can be covered in a certain amount of miles. Most NJ/NY trail maps do not provide distances between points along a trail (trail miles) and as such what you think is a 5 miles hike may actually be a 9 mile hike. Just because I did it, does not mean others should. However, I expect my tracklogs could give others and idea of what is possible any they can adjust their trips accordingly.

If you want post a hike under 12 miles long, please be my guest. At least I am posting some tracklogs of what Northern NJ / Southern NY has to over for those willing to put in the miles.

While I certainly appreciate George's kind of crazy, I only manage to do those insane hikes when he continually beats me with a stick, prodding me along the whole way. (BTW, I think my knee may have finally healed, ready for the next torture, err adventure -- actually, maybe I should try a shorter hike before taking more George-abuse).

69adb3ac-f2bf-4bf3-8a53-9f9268a63588.jpg

This was a nice 7.3 mile solo hike at Ringwood that I did recently, picking up 9 caches and one DNF (BAH to micros in the woods - well, there was about 8 inches of snow on the ground).

Bill

I remember when this thread was about Great Ny/Nj loop hikes, but it seems to have morphed into a thread about 'extreme' hikes. Should we start another thread for hikes under 12 miles long? :laughing:

Seems to be because George is the only one contributing to the thread anymore, and these are simply the kinds of hikes he plans. Feel free to add to it with some shorter suggestions! Pretty sure anybody who wants to is allowed to post in here :laughing:

Long, short, they are all great additions to this thread.

We "thought" we were going to be able to play all day in one of our favorite areas, Wawayanda (not many chances these days for 100 mile cache runs), but you guys got nailed big time by the last coupla storms.

The warm day (50) softened the top and we were wadin' in snow this trip.

CJ and I spent most of our brief time up to our knees/thighs in snow. So deep/wet, the snowshoers' weren't even out.

There were a coupla trails tamped some by XC skiers (three that we noticed), after they were packed a bit by snowmobilers first.

Slow going and tiring, new knee seemed to hold up though, even with our "knees-to-chest" march. :laughing:

We'll definately head out again in the Spring and re-attempt (after I get stock in deet and permethrin.) :anitongue:

We "thought" we were going to be able to play all day in one of our favorite areas, Wawayanda (not many chances these days for 100 mile cache runs), but you guys got nailed big time by the last coupla storms.

CJ and I spent most of our brief time up to our knees/thighs in snow. So deep/wet, the snowshoers' weren't even out.

There were a coupla trails tamped some by XC skiers (three that we noticed), after they were packed a bit by snowmobilers first.

Slow going and tiring, new knee seemed to hold up though, even with our "knees-to-chest" march. ;)

We'll definately head out again in the Spring and re-attempt (after I get stock in deet and permethrin.) :D

There are those who think that Wawayanda means 'Far, far away', or even 'Is this even on the same planet?". Atually, it is from the native peoples, and appears to mean "Water on the mountain'.

Hope you solved Jockey Bear before your trek.

Slow going and tiring, new knee seemed to hold up though, even with our "knees-to-chest" march. :D

We'll definately head out again in the Spring and re-attempt (after I get stock in deet and permethrin.) :)

There are those who think that Wawayanda means 'Far, far away', or even 'Is this even on the same planet?". Atually, it is from the native peoples, and appears to mean "Water on the mountain'.

Hope you solved Jockey Bear before your trek.

Yeah, yikes. PolskiKrol and I thought we'd go for a nice hike in Ringwood yesterday. It was a gorgeous day. He probably won't post our 13mi loop since we didn't hit most of the caches we set out to (or maybe he will since he likes to brag <_<), what torture; two foot slush... at points it was up to my hips!

9d5542f5-ed25-406d-a2b5-a8789cf0de7b.jpg

Nice 6.6 mile hike along the Cooper Union (yellow) trail - hmm, "power trail"?. I found 10 caches, DNF'd 1, and placed 3 new caches. If anyone that's found GCGB3K (Governor Mtn/ Cupsaw) could check to see if the cache is still there, I'd appreciate it. It's such a great location, it should have a cache, but I fear it's missing.

Bill

Wow, last time I did that hike there was one cache along the route and that was at the overlook on Governors Mountain.

Nice 6.6 mile hike along the Cooper Union (yellow) trail - hmm, "power trail"?. I found 10 caches, DNF'd 1, and placed 3 new caches. If anyone that's found GCGB3K (Governor Mtn/ Cupsaw) could check to see if the cache is still there, I'd appreciate it. It's such a great location, it should have a cache, but I fear it's missing.

Bill

I loved that hike! I did it around this time last year, starting with Packanack's "Five Words" caches and taking the trail down along the ridge to Governor Mountain. Took a roadwalk back to the upper lot at Ringwood Manor after; I was pretty beat.

I don't know how to make those pretty maps... But I had a nice circular hike today. Probably about four miles of bushwhacking.

Parked on Blue Heron Road.

DNF on Leeeeean-to.

Finds on:

Hanging Wall

Pureview

LOG IT (removed cache per TRL's request)

Beyond the avroair

Flight of the avroair

Lions Den

Happy Meal Refugees.

Great weather in Jersey today!

947448f8-2d83-40f2-b992-8d5c170b4a77.jpg

5.9 mile bushwhack (there were woods roads around, but most of my trek seemed to be off-road) around Tranquility Ridge County Park to pick up weathernowcast's 10 (PM) cloud series caches (plus two others).

You avoided all of the caches placed my ThirstyMick, slukster, and myself to the north/west :[ Would suggest those before it gets too hot outside otherwise you may run out of water packing all of those small bottles :P

You avoided all of the caches placed my ThirstyMick, slukster, and myself to the north/west :[ Would suggest those before it gets too hot outside otherwise you may run out of water packing all of those small bottles :P

I've been trying to decide if I really want to try to get all of them over there on some big loop hike or if not, how to break it into two decent hikes. If slukster's wasn't at the bottom of a 400+ foot steep drop from "a day at the beech" (it certainly looks this way on my plot), I'd definitely make a big loop of it hitting the three caches on the nj/ny border, and down the yellow trail - back to the parking at your mystery cache coords.

Re-plotted it.. might be "only" 9 miles or so if I manage to stay on course, but I'd be doing your series in the wrong order.. Who knows with the stages of mr. snat's multi and the final to your series though.. It's on my list, just haven't had a full day for hiking in a little while.

Bill

Seeing how everyone has gone to cover, I shall pose this query: You mention a bushwhack of almost 5.9 miles, Is off trail hiking in New Jersey State Parks not illegal ? :P

And in unrelated news of hikers around the world:

http://www.gadling.com/2010/04/07/hikers-r...from-mt-doom%2F

I believe that this topic has impact in the Geocaching Community. I believe this is one of the specific reasons why Sterling Forest is loathe to permit caches.

Edited by Packanack

Harriman State Park

294a343d-f713-44f0-9681-175b7446d4d3.jpg

Notes: Parked at Elk Pen and ended up hiking 18.4 miles in just under 11 hours via the following trails: Appalachian Trail -> Arden-Surebridge -> Lichen -> Ramapo-Dunderberg -> Victory -> Unnamed Trails (Lake Sebago North/Western Shoreline) -> Triangle -> White Bar -> Island Pond Road -> Arden-Surebridge. If you are so inclined, there are 14 caches to find along this route and it is not very strenuous. On the way you pass 3 Shelters (Bald Rocks, Tom Jones, Unnamed Shelter (Route 106/White Bar)) - thus this can be turned into a 2 day weekend trip. Had lots of fun on this one.

Seeing how everyone has gone to cover, I shall pose this query: You mention a bushwhack of almost 5.9 miles, Is off trail hiking in New Jersey State Parks not illegal ? :D

If it was illegal to go off trail I'm sure most hunters will be quite surprised to learn that.

I've heard the very same thing from a highly anti geocaching member of the NYNJTC. He has stated this to me and others numerous times. He was so adamant I attempted to find the regulation. I couldn't. A park ranger I talked to said he never saw such a regulation, but didn't rule out the possibility that there was one. He told me he'd check and get back to me, but hasn't gotten around to it (It's been over 2 years so I guess it was at the bottom of his to do list).

Here is the most complete list of state park regulations that I could find and I don't see such a regulation (unless I missed it).

"I've heard the very same thing from a highly anti geocaching member of the NYNJTC"

I heard it from someone who told me that you are not permitted to leave marked trails.

Would be interesting to find out the real story?

The regulations I linked to said you can not leave a trail that crosses private property, but nothing about not leaving trails otherwise that I could find.

Catskills Adventure

This past weekend had an epic 2 day weekend adventure culminating in the logging of Aircrash 4 (GCPY3E) by GPS Guy. Not recommended for non-seasoned hikers as this covered approximately 31.2 miles in the Catskills and ungodly elevation gain. As stated by GPS Guy on the cache page, nearby 3500+ peaks are doable and would make for a great weekend. Thus, the following were the 7 Catskills 3500 Central Region peaks I was able to summit on the loop hike (which did involve lots of bushwhacking):

Fir Mnt (3620ft) - 2010-05-15 1020

Big Indian Mnt (3700ft) - 2010-05-15 1144

Eagle Mnt (3600ft) - 2010-05-15 1329

Balsam Mnt (3600ft) - 2010-05-15 1540

Balsam Lake Mnt (3723ft) - 2010-05-16 1207

Graham Mnt (3868ft) - 2010-05-16 1347

Doubletop Mnt (3869ft) - 2010-05-16 1604

b37bf4f1-4560-46a2-ad30-367b16157ac2.jpg

Looking at the tracklog, Day 1 (15.2mi) is in red and Day 2 (16.0mi) is in blue.

There was quite a bit of bushwhacking during the weekend which entailed following several river beds to gain access to the other side of the valley and subsequently a new ridge of mountains. Camped near the Shandaken Brook Lean-to in my hammock which was quite comfortable (once I put on extra socks and shirt) and relaxing (hanging about 10 feet from the therapeutic stream). In total I went through 8 liters of water and sustained only on pretzel sticks and gorp as I wanted to travel light without my camping stove. Finding Aircrash 4 was the icing on the cake following this awesome trekking adventure. Definitely one of the more challenging caches I have found (which I do appreciate).

WARNING: Do not attempt this loop hike unless you are well prepared, seasoned, and know what you are doing!

Catskills Adventure

This past weekend had an epic 2 day weekend adventure culminating in the logging of Aircrash 4 (GCPY3E) by GPS Guy. Not recommended for non-seasoned hikers as this covered approximately 31.2 miles in the Catskills and ungodly elevation gain. As stated by GPS Guy on the cache page, nearby 3500+ peaks are doable and would make for a great weekend. Thus, the following were the 7 Catskills 3500 Central Region peaks I was able to summit on the loop hike (which did involve lots of bushwhacking):

Fir Mnt (3620ft) - 2010-05-15 1020

Big Indian Mnt (3700ft) - 2010-05-15 1144

Eagle Mnt (3600ft) - 2010-05-15 1329

Balsam Mnt (3600ft) - 2010-05-15 1540

Balsam Lake Mnt (3723ft) - 2010-05-16 1207

Graham Mnt (3868ft) - 2010-05-16 1347

Doubletop Mnt (3869ft) - 2010-05-16 1604

b37bf4f1-4560-46a2-ad30-367b16157ac2.jpg

Looking at the tracklog, Day 1 (15.2mi) is in red and Day 2 (16.0mi) is in blue.

There was quite a bit of bushwhacking during the weekend which entailed following several river beds to gain access to the other side of the valley and subsequently a new ridge of mountains. Camped near the Shandaken Brook Lean-to in my hammock which was quite comfortable (once I put on extra socks and shirt) and relaxing (hanging about 10 feet from the therapeutic stream). In total I went through 8 liters of water and sustained only on pretzel sticks and gorp as I wanted to travel light without my camping stove. Finding Aircrash 4 was the icing on the cake following this awesome trekking adventure. Definitely one of the more challenging caches I have found (which I do appreciate).

WARNING: Do not attempt this loop hike unless you are well prepared, seasoned, and know what you are doing!

I did your red hike as an overnighter. I recall it being a lot of climbing for few if any views.

I am envious, I always wanted to go up one high peak, either in the Catskills or Adirondacks. I think I will do it this year---the operative word is ONE, and I will look for one that is not too difficult and has a nice view, I wll plan to do it in September. Thanks for the inspiration.

I am envious, I always wanted to go up one high peak, either in the Catskills or Adirondacks. I think I will do it this year---the operative word is ONE, and I will look for one that is not too difficult and has a nice view, I wll plan to do it in September. Thanks for the inspiration.

I would recommend Panther Mountain which is probably around 5mi round trip with lots of good views of Devils Path.

http://www.catskill-3500-club.org/catskill...er-mountain.htm

It is also in the middle of what may have been a meteorite impact crater site. Just check out wikipedia for more info. There is also an Earthcache regarding this.

I would recommend Panther Mountain which is probably around 5mi round trip with lots of good views of Devils Path.

It is also in the middle of what may have been a meteorite impact crater site. Just check out wikipedia for more info. There is also an Earthcache regarding this.

I highly recommend Indian Head. There is a nice loop hike over it using the Jimmy Dolan Notch trail and the Devils Path with a couple of outstanding views.

. It is on the rugged side but if I can do it, anybody can.

A bit easier is Kaaterskill High Peak. Fantastic view from an unmarked trail on the south face. The Aircrash 1 and Aircrash 3 virts are along the way.

Blackhead is another good one. A not too long loop hike takes you over it and back to parking.

Edited by briansnat

Well, it might be off-topic, since this is the Mid-Atlantic thread... But I would suggest my webcam cache on Mount Washington, New Hampshire. Took us two and a half days to hie there, but you could drive, or take the cog railway.

Well, it might be off-topic, since this is the Mid-Atlantic thread... But I would suggest my webcam cache on Mount Washington, New Hampshire. Took us two and a half days to hie there, but you could drive, or take the cog railway.

Two and half days from NJ or Pinkham Notch? The webcam is a great cache and have done it at least twice already :)

I highly recommend Indian Head. There is a nice loop hike over it using the Jimmy Dolan Notch trail and the Devils Path with a couple of outstanding views.

A bit easier is Kaaterskill High Peak. Fantastic view from an unmarked trail on the south face. The Aircrash 1 and Aircrash 3 virts are along the way.

Blackhead is another good one. A not too long loop hike takes you over it and back to parking.

OK, having done Kaaterskill High Peak this weekend, must say this will give you the most bang for the buck. If you can handle 10.4 miles and 2680 feet elevation gain then the following can be done:

- Kaaterskill High Peak (awesome view to the south)

- Huckleberry Point (awesome view of the Devil's Path mountain range)

- 2 Air crash sites

- 6 Geocaches

Take a look at the following tracklog:

a6f70ac5-890b-4f69-ae37-b8ae18f69673.jpg

The following is the recommended route:

- Park at the official lot off Platt Clove Road. Sign is small and wooden, missed it on the first pass down the road.

- Take the snow mobile trail up and cut towards the 1st aircrash site when you see a cairn on the left hand side of the trail. This should only be a 600 feet bushwhack or so.

- Follow the circular snow mobile trail by the 1st aircrash site clockwise and cut right to the top of High Peak when you see a really huge cairn. This is the old blue-marked Twilight Park Trail and quite easy to follow to the summit.

- Arrive at Hurricane Ledge just before the final summit push. Great spot for a snack or just taking in some water.

- At the summit there are two trails looking north. Take the one to the right first to visit the 2nd air crash site.

- Take the trail to the left and head down the northern side of the mountain to eventually meet the snow mobile trail again. Follow the trail clockwise until you get back to the 1st air crash site and bushwhack back to the trail you started the day on.

- On your way down, take the Yellow Disk trail on your left towards Huckleberry Point. The elevation gain to the point is really negligible at this point. I hear there is a good camping spot near the stream your cross between hills.

- Just retrace your steps backward on the Yellow Disk trail to return back to the snow mobile trail and parking.

I will definitely be doing this hike again with ThirstyMick as well as the Hunter Loop via Diamond Notch Falls and visiting the various lean-tos and South West Hunter (nice bonus as it has a good unmarked trail to the summit with a trail register). That area was the highlight of my Devils Path traverse.

OK, having done Kaaterskill High Peak this weekend, must say this will give you the most bang for the buck. If you can handle 10.4 miles and 2680 feet elevation gain then the following can be done:

- Kaaterskill High Peak (awesome view to the south)

- Huckleberry Point (awesome view of the Devil's Path mountain range)

- 2 Air crash sites

- 6 Geocaches

Take a look at the following tracklog:

a6f70ac5-890b-4f69-ae37-b8ae18f69673.jpg

The following is the recommended route:

- Park at the official lot off Platt Clove Road. Sign is small and wooden, missed it on the first pass down the road.

- Take the snow mobile trail up and cut towards the 1st aircrash site when you see a cairn on the left hand side of the trail. This should only be a 600 feet bushwhack or so.

- Follow the circular snow mobile trail by the 1st aircrash site clockwise and cut right to the top of High Peak when you see a really huge cairn. This is the old blue-marked Twilight Park Trail and quite easy to follow to the summit.

- Arrive at Hurricane Ledge just before the final summit push. Great spot for a snack or just taking in some water.

- At the summit there are two trails looking north. Take the one to the right first to visit the 2nd air crash site.

- Take the trail to the left and head down the northern side of the mountain to eventually meet the snow mobile trail again. Follow the trail clockwise until you get back to the 1st air crash site and bushwhack back to the trail you started the day on.

- On your way down, take the Yellow Disk trail on your left towards Huckleberry Point. The elevation gain to the point is really negligible at this point. I hear there is a good camping spot near the stream your cross between hills.

- Just retrace your steps backward on the Yellow Disk trail to return back to the snow mobile trail and parking.

I will definitely be doing this hike again with ThirstyMick as well as the Hunter Loop via Diamond Notch Falls and visiting the various lean-tos and South West Hunter (nice bonus as it has a good unmarked trail to the summit with a trail register). That area was the highlight of my Devils Path traverse.

And if you want to really experience it the Polskikrol way do it as a quickie morning warmup for a weekend backpacking trip ;) .

48ce8b68-f0ab-4ad6-9650-4a6a9df3918e.jpg

7.5 mile tracklog for the Cooper Union (yellow) Trail in Ringwood State Park.

N41 08.784 W74 14.542 - Pull-off Parking on Mill Pond (or Sloatsburg or Sterling Mine) Road. There are two pull-offs very close to each other, enough for maybe 4 or 5 cars total. I believe it is legal to park here, as it is very close to the trail head and it seems they even put a bit of asphalt down when repaving the road recently. This is right on the NY/NJ border, probably the NY side.

N41 08.745 W74 14.604 - Trail head for the Cooper Union (yellow) trail.

Owner Maintenance: 1 bear-mauled cachetainer replaced.

New Caches Hidden: 1

Found Caches Today: 0

There are now 17 caches less than 1/10 mile from the power-trail, I mean Cooper Union - most are within 100 feet.

It's about 350 feet from the parking spots and the trail head - with no shoulder, so use caution!

Bill

528a9e86-7051-4b68-ae57-519ec5bf0493.jpg

13 Miles - I started at the Route 202 Parking lot for Ramapo Valley County Reservation and took the Silver -> Schuber (Orange) -> Yellow Silver -> Yellow -> White trails to the Upper Skyline Drive trail head for the Schuber (Orange) trail. I then took the Schuber from start to finish (about 6.5 miles) back to the Route 202 Parking lot for Ramapo.

This was a nice loop hike with a ton of caches along the way - however, with today's heat I underestimated my water needs, and had some trouble with 2.2 miles remaining. With the severity of my symptoms, I was actually contemplating calling 911, however I had no service/signal where I dropped. Suffering from dehydration & heat exhaustion (possibly worse), I was forced to sit/rest for 30 minutes. Luckily I had planned my route so that the bulk of my climbing was done early in the day, and after about 30 minutes of rest I was able to drag myself down the rest of the trail without further incident.

Just a reminder - BRING PLENTY OF WATER WITH YOU! Fitting(?) that the only cache I stopped at today was my "What Err Tao Err" (Water Tower) geocache - unfortunately, no refilling from this tower.

Bill

Just a reminder ,BRING PLENTY OF WATER WITH YOU!

Hey Bill---Glad to see you survived, But here is another reminder when it is 100 degrees outside.

BRING YOURSELF TO PLENTY OF WATER. i.e. Ocean, Lake , Pool.

Q: What is heatstroke?

A: It's a life-threatening condition in which dangerously high body temperatures affect the brain, Clem says. High temperatures can cause cell damage or death in as little as 45 minutes.

Q: What are the symptoms?

A: The skin often becomes hot and flushed, according to the Merck Manual of Medical Information. Heart and breathing rates increase. Pulse is usually rapid. Blood pressure may be very high or very low. Victims may become confused and suffer headaches and nausea. Body temperature usually exceeds 104 degrees, and victims might lapse into a coma.

Q: How easy is it to spot?

A: Clem notes that some symptoms — such as impaired judgment or bizarre behavior — may be subtle. About half of heatstroke victims are sweating, although perspiration might stop as the condition advances.

Q: How is it treated?

A: Call for medical help. Cool victims immediately with a cold, wet sheet, Clem says. Heatstroke is best treated at a hospital.

Q: What are the long-term effects of heatstroke?

A: Body temperature might fluctuate abnormally for weeks, according to the Merck Manual. The brain might not fully recover, causing personality changes, clumsiness or poor coordination. Victims might be more prone to heatstroke in the future.

Q: How can it be prevented?

A: Avoid exercise in hot weather and drink plenty of fluids even after your thirst is quenched. Avoid alcohol, caffeine and high-sugar drinks, all of which may make people more dehydrated.

Q: What is heat exhaustion?

A: It's the most common heat-related illness. It's caused when the body temperature rises and victims become dehydrated.

Q: What are the symptoms?

A: Victims may be drenched in sweat, according to the Merck Manual. Body temperature may be high, but generally not above 104 degrees. They may feel faint, dizzy, weak, tired and nauseated and have a rapid heart rate and breathing but low blood pressure.

Q: How is it treated?

A: Victims should get out of the heat and drink fluids. Loosening clothing and applying ice packs or taking a cold bath or shower might help, the manual says.

Q: What are the long-term effects of heat exhaustion?

A: Victims usually recover rapidly, although untreated heat exhaustion can lead to heatstroke.

And should anyone not think that temperatures such as we are about to experience are not life threatening, you are kidding yourself. Moderation , moderation, moderation.

Edited by Packanack

Hey guys, nice posts, but like someone said early on these kinda sound on the "extreme" side. I am looking to do some hiking now that the weather is cooler and the fact that I am out of work would like to keep busy.

The extreme hikes are a little scary to me as I will be attempting on my own. That said any decent loops in NNJ and Lower Hudson Valley? That would be a 2-3 star terrain and wouldn't take all day (I do have to drive back to the city)

Thanks for the info in advance.

Palisades Interstate Park, just over the GWB, Polskikrol recently placed two caches --which should be on everyone's list , if you wish to be a Geocacher--and he promises more.

Campgaw , Mahwah, NJ --wgrun has placed several newer hides which are described by those who have done them as being classic caches. He is also sponsoring an event shortly.

Ramapo Mountain State Forrest

Ramapo County Reservation

High Mountain, Wayne NJ, Hike one marked trail each trip--Red one day, yellow, blue

weathernowcast is having an evening event on 9/22/10--same place you were on 1/2/10, except that it will be about 60 degrees warmer.

These are the close by locales for classic hides and hikes.

Hey guys, nice posts, but like someone said early on these kinda sound on the "extreme" side. I am looking to do some hiking now that the weather is cooler and the fact that I am out of work would like to keep busy.

The extreme hikes are a little scary to me as I will be attempting on my own. That said any decent loops in NNJ and Lower Hudson Valley? That would be a 2-3 star terrain and wouldn't take all day (I do have to drive back to the city)

Ramapo Valley County Reservation is at the top of my list (Parking: N 41° 04.663 W 074° 11.242). There are a ton of caches (including gerbiL - GCC8 - the oldest cache in NJ) with lots of different loop possibilities. I hike at this park all the time (living nearby helps) even though there are no caches for me to find.

If you let me know what kind of mileage you're interested in and whether you like bushwhacking and mountain climbing I would be happy to make some loop suggestions (There are *plenty* of caches very close to the trails, but if you like bushwhacking/climbing, there are also some nice caches on Matty Price Hill and Rocky Mountain).

A nice loop that would get you to gerbiL - Schuber (Orange) -> Ridge (Blue) -> Silver. Just under 4.5 miles. Caches *very* close to the trails:

A River Runs To It

Blorange

So Many Ifs

gerbiL cacHe

#10762: Ramapo Reservation cache

Stony Mountain Cache

LTF Curse 1: Ramapo

There are a bunch more that are really not far from that loop. Simplified NYNJTC Trail Map

Bill

Edited by wjgrun

Thanks for the info in advance.

There are a bunch of nice loops in Ramapo Mt State Forest and Ramapo Valley County Reservation.

The route I mentioned in post 10 is a good one. There are even more caches along it now.

Ramapo Valley County Reservation is at the top of my list (Parking: N 41° 04.663 W 074° 11.242). There are a ton of caches (including gerbiL - GCC8 - the oldest cache in NJ) with lots of different loop possibilities. I hike at this park all the time (living nearby helps) even though there are no caches for me to find.

If you let me know what kind of mileage you're interested in and whether you like bushwhacking and mountain climbing I would be happy to make some loop suggestions (There are *plenty* of caches very close to the trails, but if you like bushwhacking/climbing, there are also some nice caches on Matty Price Hill and Rocky Mountain).

A nice loop that would get you to gerbiL - Schuber (Orange) -> Ridge (Blue) -> Silver. Just under 4.5 miles. Caches *very* close to the trails:

A River Runs To It

Blorange

So Many Ifs

gerbiL cacHe

#10762: Ramapo Reservation cache

Stony Mountain Cache

LTF Curse 1: Ramapo

There are a bunch more that are really not far from that loop. Simplified NYNJTC Trail Map

Bill

Thanks, BIll. Light bushwacking is fine and no mountain climbing, I would hate to end up like that 127 Hours chap! Especially knowing how clumbsy I am! Looking at 75 mile radius of NYC and 5-10 miles (higher mileage =less steep)

Thanks to all for the posts, I will research and get on the trails!