Multi Leg Cache

AtoZ

Thinking of making a multi leg cache but now sure how disparse you can or should make. If my imagination runs a way with me, as it tends to do, I can imagine the thing going over several miles, would be able to drive to near by trials. Most in sub rural areas. Not sure how far apart is actually practical. Any suggestions.

Cheers

Going along with Jester's comment... If you're okay with not alot of visitors, make it as long as you want it to be... But if you make it 3 miles or less, it's more likely to get done often.

There are a couple cities that have multis that go all around an area 'touring' the area.. Not sure how long they all are, but I'm thinking of a couple that I think are 3-4 miles...

My two least-often-visited caches are multi. The champion is 10+ miles with only a final ammo box, and two stops for information. Second has two boxes, about a quarter mile apart in the same park.

Personally, I ignore multis with more than 3 stops, unless they have more than one cache box. A six-stage tour of the "Wonders of Wooster," (no such cache exists), no thanks. A three-stage tour of Tiffin Muni Park, OK.

I bet you could make one that goes around the world. You could ignore the maintenance issue if you gave coordinates to a landmark like a monument with numbers on it, and said on the website what to do with said numbers. That way there's only one actual cache in a place you can maintain, and the sub-points are permanent virtual-style positions.

I have a 3 part cache with a total of 84+ miles of driving, which circles Seneca Lake. It's actually one of three caches around the lake that I'm hiding which are all "very difficult" in some way. In the description I say that it'll take a while to find it, and to do it when you have a lot of time to kill. So far it's only had 2 finders, but a couple other people are doing it in steps, as they go around the lake on normal buisiness. The only negative comment it's gotten so far is from an out of stater who couldn't find the final part. My reply to that is; don't do a cache like this when you're on vacation lol!

Actually now that I think about it, I had to redo the cache. The original had 7 parts and still circled the lake. Five people found it and not one complained/didn't like it.

I bet you could make one that goes around the world. You could ignore the maintenance issue if you gave coordinates to a landmark like a monument with numbers on it, and said on the website what to do with said numbers. That way there's only one actual cache in a place you can maintain, and the sub-points are permanent virtual-style positions.

Virtuals are still subject to the maintenance requirements, but if you're actually able to travel to the same spots in the world (I know people who could easily do this) then I think you could probably do it.

But the question is...would anyone bother to go for it?

I'm not a huge fan of multis with a whole lot of stages, but I've seen some that look pretty incredible--for example, one of these weekends I'm going to spend a day doing Edendale in the Golden Age of Silent Film as I've been promising myself I would for months...

Thinking of making a multi leg cache but now sure how disparse you can or should make. If my imagination runs a way with me, as it tends to do, I can imagine the thing going over several miles, would be able to drive to near by trials. Most in sub rural areas. Not sure how far apart is actually practical. Any suggestions.

Cheers

What do you mean "...near by trials"?

I've set up a multi which requires the seeker to travel quite a few miles and visit four different locations before they find the final stage. The requirement for travel is clearly listed on the page, though, which may account for the low number of finds it's had.

I set the multi up so that each stage ended at an ammo can with partial coords to the next stage. Two cans had to be found to find the third, etc. I noted in the cache desciption that each leg could be logged as a smiley, as long as no vital information is given away in each log. However, the cachers who have gone after it have only claimed the smiley for the final stage. (Guess it's not really about the numbers after all!)

ZachJones, I'm going to try to go after Da Rebel's Revenge (IIRC) if I can ever get down that way to pick up the first stage. Not many finders on that one!

- Mark (S-4-C)

Did one a couple years ago that was called Feel the Need for Greed and was set up as a "tour" of many of the nearby county parks. The stages progressed as the TV game show --- the $50,000 cache, the $100,000, the $250,000, $500,000, and the $1,000,000 cache.

We did it over the course of a couple weeks and I would guess the total driving distance was in excess of 40 miles. But it was a nice cache, with an interesting theme. And it took us to some very nice parks.

One thing that might have made it just a touch nicer would have been to know, before starting, that it would be quite spread out. Other than that very minor issue, it was very nice.

As was said earlier -- the more spread out you make it, the fewer visitors you will have.