Garmin 60cs Or Magellan Meridian Color?

The color screen does not make it easier to navigate, it just make it more expensive to navigate. I looked at the 60c, I am not impressed with it.

You are in complete denial :laughing:

have to agree with vw_ev, it is one of these religious disputes.

is the thread with postings re auto routing in the 60c

I should have made that more clear I guess

I red that thread, there is nothing new in the fact that some roads are missing.

I guess you missed this posting

gessner17 Posted: Jul 6 2004, 07:43 AM

Geocacher

Garmin told me that Metroguide + Autoroute + 60C= big mess. They said the auto route algorithms are not right for the reciever and will not work right. I tried it, it works sometimes but is not reliable. Personally, unless you really need auto route, or are in a large city, I still use my roads and rec, just has so much more detail. As far as loading them all, you shoudl be able too, just go into the map setup and manually tell it which one to use. Good luck

This post has been edited by gessner17 on Jul 6 2004, 07:46 AM

I red that thread, there is nothing new in the fact that some roads are missing.

Geocacher

Garmin told me that Metroguide + Autoroute + 60C= big mess. They said the auto route algorithms are not right for the reciever and will not work right. I tried it, it works sometimes but is not reliable. Personally, unless you really need auto route, or are in a large city, I still use my roads and rec, just has so much more detail. As far as loading them all, you shoudl be able too, just go into the map setup and manually tell it which one to use. Good luck

I have not missed anything.

MetroGuide USA is not in the list for using with 60C/CS.

Someone may not be happy with that but 60C/CS are autorouting.

MetroGuide USA on the other hands is not.

I have had my 60cs since they first shipped. Can say that the turn by turn symbols overlayed on the main map view are the only way I would go. As to the color, can only ditto the positive remarks I have read alreadfy. Bottom line, I recommend the 60cs to all my friends. The Geocache function is especially important to me.

SergeantMajor

food for thought

I do not see any advantage to a color screen over a monochrome screen for geocaching.

Does the color screen make the GPS more accurate, No.

Does the color screen make it it easier to navigate, No

Does the color screen make it easier to see the arrow in the compass screen, No

Will you find more caches will a color screen, No

Does the color screen add to the price, Yes

Does it look cool, Yes

If you want to spend money on the cool factor it makes sense, but it's not going to work any better than a monochrome screen.

I find that the colour screen makes it much easier to navigate. I went from a GPSMAP 76 to the 60CS. Having a colour map just makes sense. Most paper street maps are colour as well. It makes it easier to distinguish features if they are also separated by colour.

-Scott

The color screen does not make it easier to navigate, it just make it more expensive to navigate. I looked at the 60c, I am not impressed with it.

Come on now... I know where you're coming from here, but what you said is completely ignorant.

From an objective standpoint, the 60cs is about the best well rounded GPS for the money at this point. It does have one of the best displays on the market and the unit gets about 30 hours of use on 2 AA batteries! No other GPS comes close...

You have to be a little impressed with it. You must, I order you! :laughing:

With tons of glare from indirect light, I have to keep my backlight on all the time in my car. The one thing though is that any GPS in a car on a very bright sunny day can be hard to read, when the sun don't shine on the GPS's Display.

Out of curiosity, have you tried polarized sun glasses? I really haven't had problems with glare so far with it sitting on my dash. At least with mine they're fine until you start rotating the display horizontally.

Yes I have, I own two pair of Maui Jim sunglasses. I was wearing them when I looked at the 60C screen, like I said, I am not impressed with a color screen for geocaching. It is a waste of money.

How is a color screen going to make it easier to find a cache.

:(:laughing::blink::(:(:(

Hi Ho, Hi Ho go ahead and blow your Doe

Edited by JohnnyVegas
Yes I have, I own two pair of Maui Jim sunglasses. I was wearing them when I looked at the 60C screen, like I said, I am not impressed with a color screen for geocaching. It is a waste of money.

Are You and GOT GPS? the same person ?

As for the question which was asked to GOT GPS? I agree with him that one have to use backlight all time while in a car, screen is too dark when it is not directly lit.

Amount of light reflected from interior of the car divided by factor 2 atleast (polarization) is much smaller then outside which is directly lit.

Polarizing glasses could make outside 2 times dimmer, that is all.

Edited by vr12
How is a color screen going to make it easier to find a geocahe?

I have found around 450 with a monochome screen.

It is easier to read:

Water is blue

Park is green

sand is yellow

track is red.

street is black.

In your case - everything is gray.

Geocacher

I have not missed anything.

MetroGuide USA is not in the list for using with 60C/CS.

Someone may not be happy with that but 60C/CS are autorouting.

MetroGuide USA on the other hands is not.

So, here Garmin puts out a new GPS that will not work with it's top end software. Now how stupid is that??

So, here Garmin puts out a new GPS that will not work with it's top end software. Now how stupid is that??

There are not much sense in MG on 60C/CS.

MG is not top end anymore it is history, I don't think will be new version of MG.

Edited by vr12
How is a color screen going to make it easier to find a geocahe?

I have found around 450 with a monochome screen.

It is easier to read:

Water is blue

Park is green

sand is yellow

track is red.

street is black.

In your case - everything is gray.

I have never had a problem with the grey screen for geocaching, so why change?

A color screen does not make it easier to find a cache!!!!!!!!!!!!

Using your logic, a geocache could only be found with a color screen.

Just how many caches have you found by the way?

and how many did you find with a monochrome screen ?

how many did you find with the color screen?

You profile shows no finds. My guess is you work for Garmin.

i've been trying to stay out of this but...

fyi - directroute does not contain full detail for canada - far from it.

metroguide canada v4 on the other hand does have every little town and city on it and yes it autoroutes on all garmin autorouting units.

i have had both the mericolor and the 60 series outside in front of customers... EVERY ONE of them (and there have been many) has indicated that there is NO COMPARISON between the displays... the 60 is VASTLY BETTER.

i appreciate that a monochrome screen does just as much as a color screen in terms of presenting information - but hey i could say that about a black and white tv too now couldn't i?

i do prefer to watch a color tv but maybe that's just me...

and there is absolutely no doubt that having a color map allows the brain to more quickly differentiate between roads, rivers, topo lines, parks, etc...

i'm not slamming magellan here because they do make great products. the 60 is on the other hand, simply "state of the art" or the nearest thing to it right now. yes it could have an sd slot. sure floating would also be nice too. but as far as the package and how it exists today there's nothing that can touch it in magellan's lineup.

as magellan releases new products that will potentially change - that's the nature of technology. people here are so focused on "geocaching" that that's all they think matters - but the reality is more like there are a great number of people that frequent this site not only for geocaching but also for information about gps's in general...

i :P my 60cs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by Vlad

There are not much sense in MG on 60C/CS.

MG is not top end anymore it is history, I don't think will be new version of MG.

regardless, it's a bunch of BS for garmin to put out a new GPS that will not take advantage of all their software. Garmin just wants to require their customers to spend more money on their software. No, cann't use metro guide ($116.65) gota use city select $139.00,

Need a chip for you street pilot, it is only $106.00 for 128mb

Gee that is more than twice what I paid for my 256mb SD card.

Edited by JohnnyVegas

metroguide canada v4 on the other hand does have every little town and city on it and yes it autoroutes on all garmin autorouting units.

i have had both the mericolor and the 60 series outside in front of customers... EVERY ONE of them (and there have been many) has indicated that there is NO COMPARISON between the displays... the 60 is VASTLY BETTER.

i appreciate that a monochrome screen does just as much as a color screen in terms of presenting information - but hey i could say that about a black and white tv too now couldn't i?

and there is absolutely no doubt that having a color map allows the brain to more quickly differentiate between roads, rivers, topo lines, parks, etc...

i'm not slamming magellan here because they do make great products. the 60 is on the other hand, simply "state of the art" or the nearest thing to it right now. yes it could have an sd slot. sure floating would also be nice too. but as far as the package and how it exists today there's nothing that can touch it in magellan's lineup.

as magellan releases new products that will potentially change - that's the nature of technology. people here are so focused on "geocaching" that that's all they think matters - but the reality is more like there are a great number of people that frequent this site not only for geocaching but also for information about gps's in general...

i :P my 60cs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am not trying to say Garmin makes a bad product, but for "Geocaching" color does not give you much. I use the compass screen 90% of the time when I am looking for a cache. I don't care what color the compass is, you are going to find the cache.

One thing I do not like about Garmin is there bussines practices.

Different cables for each series, this is BS, they could have used the same cable for all the products, but then they cannot sell as much to their dealers.

Still no units that will take an SD card, more BS

Lets not forget the first rinos with the radios that had crapy audio and there answere was, oh well. We cannot do anything about it.

Then the geko with no PC hookup (I see Magellan did the same stupid thing with the explorist)

Lets not forget the first street pilots in which you had purchase a pre programed chip for $100.00 to $150.00 per city area

Then the e-map, not even waterproof

This is the one tht really ticks me off. Posting new products 3 to 6 months ahead of release, this makes it hard to sell current products. Then try to advertise below MAP to get rid of the old stock before you get new stock and all of sudden your not a dealer.

Then they don't protect their brick and mortor dealers when internet shops sell below MAP on their web sites.

Sometimes I think Garmin is all about screwing the dealers.

Of course I may be ordering for a new outdoors shop by the fall, will I stock Garmin, sure will. It all about the money. but the first thing I am going to show is Magellan.

garmin doesn't make things easy for it's dealers sometimes - yes i'll give you that. it's difficult to figure out what products/quantities to stock when they're introducing new products well in advance. 3 to 6 months ahead of release isn't that bad if you compare them to the computer software industry - microsoft often talks about new operating systems and applications for well over a year before the products actually ship. i know this is quite common across many industries but yes, i agree, it does make it difficult for the dealer.

on the other hand it does give the customer the ability to make a more informed decision. when someone buys a gps and makes that decision with the understanding of what an upcoming model might provide i think they feel more comfortable in their purchase decision. no more wondering about "should i have waited?" "i wonder what garmin will release next?" "i hope they're not going to release something new next week after i just spent all this money..."

anyway - the original poster wanted to know which color unit to buy. i think the 60cs (or 76cs) would be a great choice!

p.s. the serial/power cables used by the 60cs and 76cs are exactly the same as used by the gps ii, iii, iii plus, v, 72, 76 family, gps 40/45, gps 12xl, gps pilot, streetpilot, streetpilot color, streetpilot iii, 176 series and several others... so yes not all of garmin's gps's use the same cables - but a great number of them do.

Of course I may be ordering for a new outdoors shop by the fall, will I stock Garmin, sure will. It all about the money. but the first thing I am going to show is Magellan.

I like you.

As for your color argument, you're right color and grayscale units function the same. If you were color blind there would be no difference between the two.

However your simplification suggests that there is no use for maps either. Coordinates and a compass screen are all anyone needs. Which is true to a point. However aesthetic features are useful too.

Seeing TOPO in color made me toss my Platinum, and I don't regret it in any way.

I like you.

As for your color argument, you're right color and grayscale units function the same. If you were color blind there would be no difference between the two.

However your simplification suggests that there is no use for maps either. Coordinates and a compass screen are all anyone needs. Which is true to a point. However aesthetic features are useful too.

Seeing TOPO in color made me toss my Platinum, and I don't regret it in any way.

I never said maps were not important, but thet are not required. I started with and e-treks (Yellow) Now I use a Maridian gold with direct route, I use direct route to get to the general cache area, with the compass screen. then I leave the Meridain on may dash and use a sport track map to locate the cache, with the compass screen, with point to point direction. If it's an urban cache (Which is all I can do for a while) then I switch the auto route off and use point to point for the last few hundred feet.

It is kind of funny how where debating whether a model that basically came out 3 years ago (as the gold) is better than another companies newest and greatest model.

With that said, I do think the Garmin 60's screen is better than the meridians’ color screen. And it probably handles autoroutes better than the Magellan units (have to keep in mind the current models that auto route where never designed too).

I personally have my doubts about a color screen on a unit that will be used outside most of the time. I have found in the past with other transflective screens that they do a pretty good job in direct sunlight and in areas when you can have the backlight on, but they get harder to see when the light source is not directly on the screen.

Wyatt W.

its late, I am tired, and I forgot what my point was.

Edited by phantom4099

i have had both the mericolor and the 60 series outside in front of customers...  EVERY ONE of them (and there have been many) has indicated that there is NO COMPARISON between the displays...  the 60 is VASTLY BETTER.

i'm not slamming magellan here because they do make great products.  the 60 is on the other hand, simply "state of the art" or the nearest thing to it right now.  yes it could have an sd slot.  sure floating would also be nice too.  but as far as the package and how it exists today there's nothing that can touch it in magellan's lineup.

as magellan releases new products that will potentially change - that's the nature of technology.  people here are so focused on "geocaching" that that's all they think matters - but the reality is more like there are a great number of people that frequent this site not only for geocaching but also for information about gps's in general...

:P my 60cs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am not trying to say Garmin makes a bad product, but for "Geocaching" color does not give you much. I use the compass screen 90% of the time when I am looking for a cache. I don't care what color the compass is, you are going to find the cache.

One thing I do not like about Garmin is there bussines practices.

Different cables for each series, this is BS, they could have used the same cable for all the products, but then they cannot sell as much to their dealers.

Still no units that will take an SD card, more BS

Lets not forget the first rinos with the radios that had crapy audio and there answere was, oh well. We cannot do anything about it.

Then the geko with no PC hookup (I see Magellan did the same stupid thing with the explorist)

Lets not forget the first street pilots in which you had purchase a pre programed chip for $100.00 to $150.00 per city area

Then the e-map, not even waterproof

This is the one tht really ticks me off. Posting new products 3 to 6 months ahead of release, this makes it hard to sell current products. Then try to advertise below MAP to get rid of the old stock before you get new stock and all of sudden your not a dealer.

Then they don't protect their brick and mortor dealers when internet shops sell below MAP on their web sites.

Sometimes I think Garmin is all about screwing the dealers.

I think its worth pointing out, but maybe I'm wrong. The 60CS comes with the PC cable.. so why even argue that point in this thread? Just curious.. :P

I have never had a problem with the grey screen for geocaching, so why change?

Because Evolution gave You color vision, that is why.

You never answered my question

How caches have found?

How many were with a color screen?

How many with a monochrome screen?

if you are not a geocacher, you have know idea what is required for geocaching

How caches have found?

I never said I am geocacher.

And I never suggested 60C/CS for geocaching (other people did)

But if you insist - one cache with Vista, another one with 60CS :P

For geocahing you need $100 unit, right ? but original poster had more money than that and wanted mapping unit with color, you can blame him for wasting money but he already decided to waste them. Question is how to waste it - MeriColor or 60CS ? I think 60CS much lesser waste of money than MeriColor.

Edited by vr12

Different cables for each series, this is BS,  they could have used the same cable for all the products, but then they cannot sell as much to their dealers.

I think its worth pointing out, but maybe I'm wrong. The 60CS comes with the PC cable.. so why even argue that point in this thread? Just curious.. :P

Yes 60CS includes standard USB cable which you can buy at any store.

Vista (and I think all eTrex series) includes proprietary serial cable in the package.

car adaptor is not included, because it is included in car kits.

The real BS is not having USB interface in >$200 units in 2004,

in fact it was BS in 2001 when I bought Vista.

Edited by vr12

GPS units that I had, that were a problem:

Magellan 4000XL 12 ch (bad Case Design)

Magellan ColorTrak (2 units with a very very bad case design)

Garmin eXtrex Vista - Numerous Problems with it including sensitivity

GPS V (2 of them) - Slow, Sluggish, numerous problems with loose batteries.

Meridian Color - Could not even see the screen at all in sunny weather, with full backlight ON.

GPS map76S - Eats batteries too quickly when compass is ON, but it's the best mapper ive ever had, even better than the 60C, because it's 180x240 and NO stupid menu bar to waste space on the MAP Screen.

Magellans Tracklogging is very poor for my use (I like the Garmin's segmenting of their Tracklogs as the Reciever is Turned ON and OFF, and poor Trip Info Screen(Lacking). On all of the Magellans ive had the Tracklogging was poor even at AUTO Detailed.

I avoided the 60CS, because of the numerous problems it had with sensors at first, also because, with my experience the 76S of mine can kill a fresh set of batteries in a couple hours if i leave the compass ON

The 60C was my best Choice because of my bad eyes, and i can see the difference between Roads, rivers, and trackloggs on it's color screeen, also the 60C is one of the best units out there with long battery life.

Except for poor Tracklogging and lacking certain Trip info, the Meridian Platinum was the very best Geocaching Machine ive ever had. I had to use Stop Watch on my Wrist watch to keep track of elasped time, when i ran with the platinum. The Platinum had alot of good features, that i miss.

I use a GPS more as a TAPE RECORDER than to FIND things, or AutoRoute. I like to collect the best possible tracklogging, and also Detailed Trip info like Trip Time, Trip ODOM, Ave Speed, Stopped Time, etc.

This is my Experience, I will try not to say things just to bash a Brand, since ive had problems on both sides of the fence.

Edited by GOT GPS?

Does one NEED a color screen for geocaching? Of course not. Does that mean the color screen is a bad idea? Of course not. It all depends on the person, and whether they want to spend the extra money on it.

Personally, for me, where I feel my primary use for the thing is going to be in car navigation, I liked the color screen. Personally, I haven't had a problem with glare in the car, nor have I had a problem with not enough light in the car (except when getting towards twilight).

Now, that said, I would have to say the color screen on the 60c(s) is by far the best color lcd screen I've seen when it comes to dealing with daylight.

This argument that's started is just plain silly. Naturally, people will have preferences between garmin and magellan, but ultimately, the best choice is to go to the store, hold the thing in your hand, and get an idea of whether you think it'll work for you. That's what I did when I was debating between the 60cs and the 76cs. And lo and behold, I was able to make a decision. Heck, maybe you'll be able to get a store where they'll at least let you take it out in the sunlight to get a good look at it.

GPS map76S - Eats batteries too quickly when compass is ON, but it's the best mapper ive ever had, even better than the 60C, because it's 180x240 and NO stupid menu bar to waste space on the MAP Screen.

I believe sooner or later we will get rid of that menu bar :P

I never said maps were not important, but thet are not required. I started with and e-treks (Yellow) Now I use a Maridian gold with direct route, I use direct route to get to the general cache area, with the compass screen. then I leave the Meridain on may dash and use a sport track map to locate the cache, with the compass screen, with point to point direction. If it's an urban cache (Which is all I can do for a while) then I switch the auto route off and use point to point for the last few hundred feet.

I appreciate your opinion. I understand your expectations.

I enjoy the differences that color offers me. I don't think that the 60c/s has the versatility that the Meridian has. Therefor I can't justify wasting my money on a lesser GPSr, just for a prettier screen. By lesser I mean a device that does not meet my expectations.

Coulda Hads:

Sportrack Color with 128 meg memory.

Meridian's with 180x 240 screen, also with larger fonts if you need it.

Also Larger Tracklog memory that has the option of segmenting when you turn it ON and OFF, and not one long messy tracklogg between geocaches when it is turned off. The Tracklog issue alone is what turned me away.

Map60C/CS/76C/CS - A memory Card slot(At least a sony memory stick).

Also a larger screen on the 76C/CS with at least a 180x240.

Stick-ON lenses for GPS units to magnify the screen for people like me.

More truth in advertising where they really are waterproof, even after a year of use. That Waterproof thing only applies to a GPS fresh out of the BOX from the factory. An accidental dunking can kill any GPS of any brand, when it hits the water.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The worst junky GPS units still do satisfy some people out there that dont need a fancy unit. I had a GPS 315 that was actually a pretty good GPS, and I had learned some things on it that i didn't on the really High Tech ones of mine.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We could get Garmin to come out with something like this:

sony_microvaults.gif

It is a mini USB drive, and it could load in maps to your Garmin in a flash, while on the road. Also I would like to be able to save and load tracklogs and waypoints from/to the USB drive.

Edited by GOT GPS?

Well I got my 60CS early... and I already found something I don't like about it. It has to do with cables... why can't the stupid USB cable be used to output NEMA data? Seems pretty dumb not to be able to output data on the USB interface! Looks like I will end up having to buy another freaking cable.. how stupid. :(

Well I got my 60CS early... and I already found something I don't like about it. It has to do with cables... why can't the stupid USB cable be used to output NEMA data? Seems pretty dumb not to be able to output data on the USB interface! Looks like I will end up having to buy another freaking cable.. how stupid. :(

Would this be ironic?

With all the raving about the stupid screen, nobody mentioned the little quarks. The only thing you can really do with the USB is load maps, and waypoints with Mapsource.

To connect to other devices and to many different programs, you have to buy the serial cable. :wacko:

Yea, I gotcha. I went ahead and bought the cable from my favorite Garmin cable retailer (rnrplace). $16.49, not expensive.. but a hassle. Great cables though (in reference to the cables rnrplace sells).  :(

You need to have a better attitude.... You just spent $400+ on something and you sound like you hate it! You are just kicking yourself in the butt here... The 60c/cs is a great gps, you just have to get out and use the dadgum thing! Stop looking for something to pick apart and get outside! :wacko:

Stop listening to leatherman and johnny too... They have always hated Garmin GPS's and for no particular reason. Ignore what they say and you'll be good.

Edited by vw_ev

I really don't care what everyone has to say about color GPS I own both the MeriColor and the Garmin map60CS. I've used both extensively both Geocaching and professionally and the Garmin display and ease of use wins hands down. Now on to the argument about Color or Monochrome as far as cost I've got a whole pile of money to spent on what I consider one of the cheapest hobbys that I've done in years. It's much easier to look at a color screen for long periods than a monochrome Sooo... for me I'll stick with a color Garmin 60CS!!!!!!!! :(

Yea, I gotcha. I went ahead and bought the cable from my favorite Garmin cable retailer (rnrplace). $16.49, not expensive.. but a hassle. Great cables though (in reference to the cables rnrplace sells).  :D

You need to have a better attitude.... You just spent $400+ on something and you sound like you hate it! You are just kicking yourself in the butt here... The 60c/cs is a great gps, you just have to get out and use the dadgum thing! Stop looking for something to pick apart and get outside! :(

Stop listening to leatherman and johnny too... They have always hated Garmin GPS's and for no particular reason. Ignore what they say and you'll be good.

Once again, I gotcha. Don't think for a minute I don't see that johnny and leather hate Garmin for no reason and alot of what they have to say is mute. I knew that a long time ago. :wacko: Also, I don't have a bad attitude, per-say... I just have one of "gee, I just spent $400, there has got to be something bad with this purchase or it would have been too easy." I haven't gotten the chance to go out geocaching with it yet, but I definitely like it. :(

How caches have found?

I never said I am geocacher.

And I never suggested 60C/CS for geocaching (other people did)

But if you insist - one cache with Vista, another one with 60CS :(

For geocahing you need $100 unit, right ? but original poster had more money than that and wanted mapping unit with color, you can blame him for wasting money but he already decided to waste them. Question is how to waste it - MeriColor or 60CS ? I think 60CS much lesser waste of money than MeriColor.

Then you agree that a color screen is a waste of money for geocaching, which is what I have been saying. Save the money and get some good titanium hiking stiks, or software, or a day pack or anything that you can use for geocaching.

Well I got my 60CS early... and I already found something I don't like about it. It has to do with cables... why can't the stupid USB cable be used to output NEMA data? Seems pretty dumb not to be able to output data on the USB interface! Looks like I will end up having to buy another freaking cable.. how stupid.  :(

Do you suggest an USB option such that 60CS will look like like some kind of serial port over USB ? NMEA is serial interface.

It might not be possible, What is possible is provide drivers which emulate serial port over USB.

Edited by vr12

Then you agree that a color screen is a waste of money for geocaching, which is what I have been saying. Save the money and get some good titanium hiking stiks, or software, or a day pack or anything that you can use for geocaching.

It all depends on whether or not you use car for geocaching:

Color screen in a car is not a waste of money.

It greatly increase visibility consequently reduce time you spend staring into GPS and not on the road, autorouting audiosignals also helps keep your eyes on the road. Does MeriColor have audiosignals ? I hope it does, because it is natural to have audiosignals in autorouting units.

Edited by vr12
Well I got my 60CS early... and I already found something I don't like about it. It has to do with cables... why can't the stupid USB cable be used to output NEMA data? Seems pretty dumb not to be able to output data on the USB interface! Looks like I will end up having to buy another freaking cable.. how stupid.  :D

Do you suggest an USB option such that 60CS will look like like some kind of serial port over USB ? NMEA is serial interface.

It might not be possible, What is possible is provide drivers which emulate serial port over USB.

I already have said software.. the problem is that Garmin locks the USB port to the "Garmin" format. Oh well.. :D

One thing no one has mentioned (that I saw anyway) is that the 60CS will do routing with their base map and topo software. Meridians will only route with the DirectRoute software.

I use my GPSr for caching as well as traveling. The screen is great in the car...and when hunting a cache. Does the color "help" me find a cache? No. But then again I guess I could be a Neanderthal and walk barefoot to a cache instead of wearing shoes since the shoes don't help me find a cache either.

But, everything else being said. Use whatever friggin' GPS you want to. I just happen to use my 60CS much more than my MeriPlat. Why? Because I enjoy it more! :D

Sindigo

I already have said software.. the problem is that Garmin locks the USB port to the "Garmin" format. Oh well.. :D

What I meant that the problem you have is not 60CS or Garmin Problem, it is the problem of software on your notebook or desktop.

There is no such things as format in USB.

Well, you can make the unit behave as different USB devices

but it is not natural way to do things on USB port.

Idea is to connect it and leave all the problems to the driver.

As I said it might not be possible to "fix" it by changing Firmware.

I don't really see the need for this anyway.

Edited by vr12

What I meant that the problem you have is not 60CS or Garmin Problem, it is the problem of software on your notebook or desktop.

I don't think your understanding me.. I already have software to make a USB port (that is streaming NEMA data) appear as a COM (serial) port. So if Garmin were to allow the USB port to output NEMA sentences I would have no need to buy, yet another, GPSr cable. Hopefully I was clearer that time. :D

That being said, I already bought the proper cable and its on its way. So far my only gripes with the 60CS are:

1) USB is stuck in Garmin formart

2) After spending $400+ I still have to buy decent maps (~$100).

I have another thing I'm kinda miffed about, but I'm not sure if its really a gripe. I wish that hints from GPX files (if the hint is even stored in it) could be displayed in the 60CS as a "hint" as well. :D

Edited by pcmike
One thing no one has mentioned (that I saw anyway) is that the 60CS will do routing with their base map and topo software. Meridians will only route with the DirectRoute software.

Well, 60C/CS has to autoroute base map because unit allows noncontigous maps :D

I don't think your understanding me.. I already have software to make a USB port (that is streaming NEMA data) appear as a COM (serial) port. So if Garmin were to allow the USB port to output NEMA sentences I would have no need to buy, yet another, GPSr cable. Hopefully I was clearer that time. :D

That being said, I already bought the proper cable and its on its way. So far my only gripes with the 60CS are:

1) USB is stuck in Garmin formart

2) After spending $400+ I still have to buy decent maps (~$100).

OK, Do you get any data flow of any data format from this USB_to_serial conversion ?

The whole Idea of USB was to replace serial port :D

I am affraid that I still don't understand you.

PS: what is NEMA anyway ? First I thought You misprinted NMEA, but you did it twice.

Edited by vr12