Airport/airline Security

Papakas

I am liaising with my local international airport police with regard to our national cache reporting guidelines in respect of the placement of caches near airports. One of the main reasons for placing a cache near an airport is for the movement of travel bugs. During a recent demonstration using a live travel bug exchange cache near one of our major airports it was highlighted that cachers were collecting travel bugs from caches immediately prior to reporting for a flight.

I shall be meeting again with the police next week and I know that this travel bug issue will have made it way onto the agenda. I would like to go prepared with any views, advice and experiences you can offer me on this topic.

I have always wondered what to say to airport security about travel bugs in my luggage. They always ask: Are you carrying anything on the plane for someone else? Technically yes, i am (but i have never admited to it)

dave

actually noone asked YOU to carry it, you are carrying it for YOUR personal enjoyment of the game and as such it is being carried by YOU for YOU, with the minor result of somebody else getting something out of it in the form of a log online.

I currently work at DFW airport as an airline aircraft mechanic for over 7 years. When I first heard about people placing caches inside the airport, or on airport property I nearly jumped outta my skin. The same basic guidelines apply to all airports, especially those carrying passengers. If we see something suspicious or a container or bag left unattended, we are to immediately notify, the Police, and often challenge people who are acting suspicous. If we dont and we're discovered, then we could loose our airport security badge, and therefore our jobs. This is a serious issue. Yes it might be a convenient way to move TB's distances, BUT if its on airport property without prior explicit permission, its ILLEGAL. This also include the easements for the runway approaches which extend out many miles. After the events of 9-11 this is not a joking matter and they will show little leeway.

Its great that you are working with the local airport police in order to see this happen. Thats the way it should be done. However, most owners couldnt bother and it would be a way to give geocaching a bigtime blackeye by intentionally violating airport security. When discovered or caught, most people wont care one bit about an explanation of geocaching. They will simply remind you of the regulations and security measures in place that are very well public knowledge and they remind you contantly in the airports about.

In our excitement and passion for our wonderful hobby, lets not forget to use common sence and be away of the area around us and the atmosphere. Caches on or near airport property should be STRONGLY advised against. Yeah I know its convienient but lets not loose site of the big picture. If soemone wanted to get really nasty, I could see them visiting GC and ask why they condoned, and approved a cache at such a location.

MH

Edited by Mechanics Hands

Placing caches on airport property is already prohibited by the guidelines: "Caches near or under public structures deemed potential or possible targets for terrorist attacks. These include but are not limited to highway bridges, dams, government buildings and airports."

Reviewers won't knowingly post a cache on airport property, although it's possible for something to slip through. You should let geocaching.com know (contact@Groundspeak.com) if you believe a cache location may cause alarm or if it is likely to cause undue suspicion.

*+.,_,.+*'`'*+.,_ honeychile_,.+*'`'*+.,_,.+*'`

(geocaching.com forum moderator)

email: honeychile@geocachingadmin.com

Many thanks for your input MH and honeychile for your follow up. Valid points, appreciated, but already addressed in my communications with airport authorities. We are, however, in the travel bug section of the forums!

The purpose of this topic is to discuss the possible security concerns associated with carrying travel bugs through airports and onto aircraft. I look forward to viewing further replies specific to this topic.

The other three replies are going in the right direction! Many thanks, keep 'em coming! Anyone out there who can expand on considerations for whether to carry them in hand baggage, hold luggage or on the person?

TB Hotels "near" airports should probably be placed near HB (Human Bean) hotels. Apart from anything else, it's probably quicker to get the last 5 miles from the Holiday Inn to the departure terminal, than the 3/4 mile from the cute tree just outside the perimeter fence. And you're less likely to get shot :blink:

As far as the "contents" of the TB are concerned: I like to imagine that nobody would be stupid enough to take a TB attached to a sealed container marked "do not open until it arrives in <other continent>". But then I like to imagine that my kids will finish their homework on time and occasionally empty the dishwasher, and look how far that's got me.

Check out my PDX Airport Travel Bug Lounge cache. It hides in what looks at first like an empty grass field about a mile from the terminal itself... until you find the magic LOTR tree. B)

It's not on airport property, but it IS utterly convienient to folks coming to and from the airport via local commuter train.

If you can find a cool place with easy commuter access like that OFF the airport grounds, then you are ready to rock.

Another idea: The current very-cool location is not the original location. When the original location was disallowed, a cacher wrote to me and offered his assistance talking to his friend who manages the local Embassy Suites hotel. I might be able to hide it on the hotel grounds there! :o

Since I had already found the cool, new location in the meantime, I let him know that this was not necessary, but thanks anyway, it was much appreciated.

So finding a nice hotel near the airport and asking permission to hide it on the grounds there could be a good idea. Especially if they have a shuttle service! :)

Edited by Sparrowhawk
During a recent demonstration using a live travel bug exchange cache near one of our major airports it was highlighted that cachers were collecting travel bugs from caches immediately prior to reporting for a flight.

I shall be meeting again with the police next week and I know that this travel bug issue will have made it way onto the agenda. I would like to go prepared with any views, advice and experiences you can offer me on this topic.

Hi,

I'm confused about the mention that the TBs were retrieved just prior to the cachers reporting to their flights. Is there a concern about security? Since caches should not be on airport property, then a cacher picking up a TB should be treated like any other item that gets carried on or checked onto a flight. The Tb goes through the same screening process as any other item- whether it is screened before or after it is picked up from a cache.

Last time I flew, I had five TBs with me as I went through security (along with a mini disk player, digital camera, gpsr, and a couple of other things in a carry on bag). The only thing security was concerned (curious) about was a TB that was a metal keychain shaped like the state of Indiana. That was pulled out of the bag. The two security people looked at it and laughed, then passed it back. I think the shape was of interest to the screener at the scanner.

If there is some concern that the TBs are not in the control of the cacher that picks them up prior to going through security, then I am still confused. Any item you pick up on the way to the airport is not in your control prior to reporting for a flight- magazine, paper, new electronic device, etc.

Great question, how did the meetings with airport officials go? Im thinking of my local airport, and I can't imagine any useful conversation resulting from that, so for what you are doing and accomplishing good on you.

We have in Toronto a great location for a TB Inn. (Not the Hilton TB Inn)

Great for accessing from about 4 or 5 of the airport hotels. Maybe I can look into an Inn for the other hotel clusters......

Milo Bloom

Edited by MiloBloom

I posted a comment about lost travel bugs HERE but didn't see this more appropriate thread before I did.

How likley is it for TSA to loose items such as travel bugs?

Can items be taken from checked bags without notifying the bag owners? I would think that if TSA found something "interresting" they would also confiscate the human for investigation.

--N1NUG

I have to say, this not only seems like a non-issue, but a monumeal waste of time for the airport security to even have this as an agenda item at any meeting. ^_^

What is the difference between a beanie baby attached to a TB tag or me picking up a beanie baby for my kid?

I am in NH now and brought several TB's with adn am returning to Chicago with several new ones. Had no problems getting here and anticipate none going home as I have done this several times.

I really don't mean to come across insulting, however I would rather believe they are spending time looking at real, potential threats, not an item that would be otherwise classified as a benign keepsake.

Edited by baloo&bd