N-o-r-m-ing A Topic

I recently NORMed a topic. It was Abject Silliness. I couldn't resist. :(

But it got me thinking:

I was part of the original private topic, Cheers, where NORM became a common forum term. It refers to the poster who bumps the thread every 50th post to a new page.

It pops up every now and then in threads other than the 621 page monstrosity known as AS.

I'm sure, in an interesting thread, most readers will read the entire list of posts. But where do you draw the limit? If you didn't get in on a topic while it's still on the first page, let's say maybe it's on the third page, or the 5th, do you go back and read the entire topic?

Or maybe you read the first few posts on the first page and then skip to your response? Let's say a topic is ongoing, maybe even sticky, and it has 8 or 9 pages or more. Where do you jump in?

Do you just go back to the most recent NORM? How much does NORMing a topic actually effect it? :huh::huh:

Careful Tank! There are those that might think you're leaking a little AS into the rest of the Site.

Norms don't affect me although I got a kick out of the few I've had. They are handy for spotting a particular page when I'm searching around for past comments.

I'm sure, in an interesting thread, most readers will read the entire list of posts.  But where do you draw the limit?  If you didn't get in on a topic while it's still on the first page, let's say maybe it's on the third page, or the 5th, do you go back and read the entire topic?

Or maybe you read the first few posts on the first page and then skip to your response?  Let's say a topic is ongoing, maybe even sticky, and it has 8 or 9 pages or more.  Where do you jump in?

I'm not sure, but it's apparently a number greater than 621.

Admittedly, I did only read about 175 pages of A.S. before I jumped in (the first 100 and the last 75 at the time), but I've since gone back and filled in the gaps.

For more reasonably-sized threads, I typically do read the entire thing before posting - there's usually a pretty good chance that anything I have to add or ask has either already been said or answered in the previous pages.

Just from observation, it's usually pretty clear that many (most?) people do not bother to read all the way back to the beginning, or even more than a page or two back. Many of the ongoing threads here, and indeed on just about any discussion board, end up revisiting the same posts over and over again because people won't read anything more than what's on the first and last page or two.

:huh: I've found that my posts are usually the "definitive" answer to most topics. As such, it's usually not necessary to read anything other than the original post no matter how many thousands of others have added their two cents worth. (That's ego with a capital E!)

Actually, I usually browse through a page or two to catch the drift of the discussion, and then plunge in. Based on the good-natured abuse that flows freely around here, it doesn't seem to have been much of a problem.

If it's a subject that I find interesting enough to post in, I will read the whole history of the thread before making some inane drivel post in an attempt to derail it. :huh:

The thing I find most abysmally annoying is people who parrot what has already been said. Example from this thread:

From Torry:

Careful Tank! There are those that might think you're leaking a little AS into the rest of the Site.

Norms don't affect me although I got a kick out of the few I've had. They are handy for spotting a particular page when I'm searching around for past comments.

Parrot poster:

I agree, there are those that might think you're leaking a little AS into the rest of the site. I'm not affected by Norms, and I find them handy for finding a particular page when looking for past comments.

From Seamus:

Just from observation, it's usually pretty clear that many (most?) people do not bother to read all the way back to the beginning, or even more than a page or two back. Many of the ongoing threads here, and indeed on just about any discussion board, end up revisiting the same posts over and over again because people won't read anything more than what's on the first and last page or two.

Parrot poster:

I think it's pretty clear that a lot of people don't read all of the threads, and some of them only read a page or two back. Then you end up revisiting the same posts repeatedly because they've only read the first and last few pages.

======================

This happens in every thread. Those who do that and don't add anything new to the thread appear to me to be the ones who simply like to see themselves type and are upping their post counts. There's a bit of a difference if someone asks for a consensus on a topic, but when that's not the case, parrotting back the same thing the previous posters have said is very, very annoying, and I will tend to skip those pages and threads, thereby depriving the entire community of my rapier wit and unmatched knowledge of all things related to geocaching.

If it's a subject that I find interesting enough to post in, I will read the whole history of the thread before making some inane drivel post in an attempt to derail it. :huh:

The thing I find most abysmally annoying is people who parrot what has already been said.

ROFLMAO!!!

You would have a hard time finding a thread you haven't posted to! :huh:

El Diablo

The thing I find most abysmally annoying is people who parrot what has already been said. 

ROFLMAO!!!

You would have a hard time finding a thread you haven't posted to! :(

El Diablo

Not true! I haven't yet posted in any of the foreign language threads! :huh: It's only a matter of time, though.... :(

I am going to give that classic lawyer answer: It depends.

I am online enough that I often see and read all of the topics. But sometimes I hit one late and regardless of responses, reply without reading it all. I usually go back later and read it though. Other times, I feel the need to read everything first. It really depends on the nature of the topic there. Yet other times, I read it all, respond, and then the topic goes on and on and on into dead horse land. In re-checking something like that, I often skim it and perhaps reply to something, although more often than not, if it is going on forever and getting repetetive, I just quit reading it. There are also topics that I decide to stay out of and just plain don't read after the first few posts. This is particularly true if the posts are starting to annoy me. A recent example is a thread containing people's frustrations (can't remember the name, something like "why are you frustrated?"). I found that I didn't feel like reading angst, some of which I disagreed with or felt was trivial, so I quit reading it.

Abject Silliness is something else. I often can't keep up with that and read a page here and there. I would guess I catch about 1 in 6 pages of that! :huh:

I usually respond to the first post or maybe the first counterpost.  After that I tend to stay out of threads unless there is a good debate going on.

I disagree. The evidence I plan to submit will rebuke that statement in it's entirety!

Ok...your turn.

AS doesn't count. Every time I check the last few posts it's a new topic. Usually three new ones all at once.

Okay, I'll bite- what is Norming a thread?

I don't read the AS thread, it just seems so silly.

In the original "Cheers" thread, a private, by invitation only topic, everyone assumed the name of a character from the TV series of the same name. Except Norm was special. To claim the name Norm, you had to time your posts correctly and be the 50th poster (or multiples of 50).

Every 50 responses, the topic becomes a new page. The person who claims the top spot on the page is the interim "Norm." It's all kind of silly, and has nothing to do, really with this topic.

What I'm really looking at here is the function of a new page in a multi-page topic.

From the point of view of a topic starter, I think many topics loose a little steam right after they are "NORMed." A topic may have a real strong flow in the first page and just sort of fizzle shortly into the next page.

I expect this has something to do with the break in the stream of idea exchanges. I suspect that if someone were to post a lame remark, or an earth shattering idea as a "Norm," the thread may respectively suddenly die or go wild.

I would guess that this is because most people will only scroll back to the most recent "Norm." :huh::(:huh:

So, what's a WOODY ??  (I figure it has to revolve around Norm, somehow!)

the last post of a page, or an uncomfortable seat. :lol:

Or a great type of roller coaster.

I actually think that Norming in most topics, at least for me will cause me to be less likely to post in that particular thread due to the high possibility that someone has already posted similar views.