New Cache Notification

Two Geeks and a GPS

Create a PQ for all the caches that haven't been found yet in your area,and bookmark that. It's the first page I check whenever I return to my computer.

In Firebird, I acually installed a pop-up alert which tells me when something gets added to that list, or removed from it.

Create a PQ for all the caches that haven't been found yet in your area,and bookmark that. It's the first page I check whenever I return to my computer.

In Firebird, I acually installed a pop-up alert which tells me when something gets added to that list, or removed from it.

Thanks for the suggestiion. Setting up a PQ is certainly a work-around, but it's still not the same as recieving an email within several minutes of a cache being approved.

I would have hoped someone from GC would have replied with a comment on the progress of this feature.

Thanks for the suggestiion. Setting up a PQ is certainly a work-around, but it's still not the same as recieving an email within several minutes of a cache being approved.

I would have hoped someone from GC would have replied with a comment on the progress of this feature.

Mozilla Firebird opens up my PQ window as soon as a new cache is listed. E-mail notification would be different, but not better.

Mozilla Firebird opens up my PQ window as soon as a new cache is listed. E-mail notification would be different, but not better.

Since I get my e-mail on my phone while I'm caching, I'd say that getting it via e-mail is far, far superior to having a web browser pop up a window while I'm 30 miles from my web browser. :ph34r: Or do you have firebird running on your phone? :D

--Marky

OK, so I don't suppose you could elaborate a bit on just how one sets up a "pop-up alert in Firebird for new caches, you know, for us non- computer types :laughing:

OK, so I don't suppose you could elaborate a bit on just how one sets up a "pop-up alert in Firebird for new caches, you know, for us non- computer types :laughing:

You're wrong, I actually could!

- You create a pocket query for all caches in your area which you don't own and haven't been found yet

- You click on preview

- You create a bookmark for that page

- You right-click on that bookmark, and then left-click on properties

- Under 'Schedule', you enter the values appropriate for your degree of FTF addiction

- Under 'Notify', you choose the types of alert you want.

I'm not familiar with Mozilla Firebird. What is it?

Mozilla is an alternative web browser. You download it and replace IE or Netscape with it.

I'm not familiar with Mozilla Firebird. What is it?

Sorry, I meant Mozilla Firefox. It's a web-browser.

OK, so I don't suppose you could elaborate a bit on just how one sets up a "pop-up alert in Firebird for new caches, you know, for us non- computer types :D

- You create a pocket query for all caches in your area which you don't own and haven't been found yet

- You click on preview

- Under 'Schedule', you enter the values appropriate for your degree of FTF addiction

That sounds cool, but still doesn't answer the question of how this would help me while I'm out caching. Is one of the types of alerts to send an e-mail?

Also, I couldn't figure out what you were refering to when you said "You're wrong". There wasn't any statement in what you quoted that said anything about you being wrong.

:D

--Marky

OK, so I don't suppose you could elaborate a bit on just how one sets up a "pop-up alert in Firebird for new caches, you know, for us non- computer types :D

- You click on preview

That sounds cool, but still doesn't answer the question of how this would help me while I'm out caching. Is one of the types of alerts to send an e-mail?

Also, I couldn't figure out what you were refering to when you said "You're wrong". There wasn't any statement in what you quoted that said anything about you being wrong.

:D

--Marky

He said: "I don't suppose you could etc."

I told him he was wrong, and did etc. :D

- You click on preview

I just discovered the same functionality in Netscape 7.1 :o

Unfortunately sending an EMail isn't one of the alert options B)

He said: "I don't suppose you could etc."

I told him he was wrong, and did etc. B)

"I don't suppose you could" roughly translates to "do you think you could". It isn't a supposition that you couldn't do said task. That's why it seemed out of place when you responded in the way you did. :o

--Marky

Sorry to derail this thread by taking back to the original topic. Can anyone (Jeremy?) from GC give us some sort of rough idea as to when the automated New Cache Notification feature might be deployed?

I am aware that there are all sorts of alternative methods, some kludgier than others, to manually collect this data but they are all simply workarounds to the issue of no longer having an automated, real-time process available to us. Skydiver’s system worked extremely well and, while I understand that perhaps the system he was using to compile that data might have had to be “broken” to enable GC to create their own process, it would have been nice if some level of compatibility could have been maintained until such time as the GC solution was ready to deploy.

Bump. Any updates on this feature? It's been listed on the Member Features Page for some time now. Just wondering if it is still in the works or has been abandoned.

* Immediate new cache notification - When a new cache becomes available in your area, you will be immediately notified by email. You will be able to choose how far you want to be from a cache to be notified it is available.

It's still "in the works." I'm hoping the wording was specific enough to indicate that they have not been implemented (yet)

The wording was quite specific. No confusion there. Hence the query for an update, which you (sort of) just provided.