A Day In The Life

You know this has been bugging me for a while, and I figured today was the best of any day to post it...

Okay, so when I posted my first cache, I was amazed at how much different the cache page looked through the eyes of the owner of the cache.

And so I have a few questions:

1. What do cache pages look like to approvers?

2. What exactly is the process involved in approving a cache?

3. Are any approvers willing to post a screenshot or two of what exactly it looks like and explain the process?

I know this is something really only approvers can answer but I figured I wasn't the only person who ever wondered what the cache approver area of gc.com looked like...

I don't have the time or inclination to go into too much detail about how the review process works, computer-wise, but I am happy to describe the thought process involved in reviewing a cache submission. Basically what we are doing is checking to see that the cache meets all of the listing requirements. So we check for compliance with each of them:

1. Search for the nearest caches to see if there is a proximity problem.

2. Look at the owner's information to see if the cache was placed on vacation or beyond their maintainable distance, etc.

3. Look at the cache description to make sure there are no prohibited items in the cache, and that the text does not contain commercial or other solicitations, doesn't promote an agenda, is family-friendly, etc..

4. Is the rating plausible - if a boat is needed, the cache should be a terrain 5.

5. Open one or more mapping and/or aerial photo tools to check the location: are there railroad tracks nearby? Airports, government buildings, etc.? Is it placed in a park with a published permit policy, and if so, does the cache page mention the permit has been obtained? Is the cache in an off-limits area, like a national park? Does the location on the map match up with the written description (we catch mis-typed coordinates this way - some, but not all of the time).

6. If it's a multicache or puzzle, check out all the coordinates for the other stages in the same manner.

7. If it's a special cache type (virtual, webcam, event, etc.), check whether the cache complies with the rules for that cache type.

There are other steps that may be involved, depending on the details of the particular cache submission.

The more of these questions that can be answered in a "note to reviewer," the faster the review goes. An ideal "note to reviewer" might say:

"Hi, this cache is in Washington State Park, and I obtained the required permit from Ranger Jane Jones last week. I know the map will show railroad tracks, but they have long since been removed and it is now a bicycle trail. The nearby xyz cache is only 500 feet away, but it is on the opposite side of the river that the trail runs along, and the bridge is more than a mile down the trail."

A day in the life? I dont remember if cache owners can see what time their cache gets approved. I tend to do a lot of them at 3am.

Sorry cant show you the TOP SECRET photos of the approvers version of your page. But it look REALLY cool

Edited by CO Admin

Sorry cant show you the TOP SECRET photos of the approvers version of your page. But it look REALLY cool

that tears i. i want to be an approver. can i be an approver? huh? huh? huh?

how about now?

please?

now?

ok, just show me the secret page.

now?

ok, just show me the secret page.

On a serious note, anything of that nature would have to be shown to you by Jeremy or Hydee. It isn't that big a deal anyway. It is basically just the cache page. The 5 closes caches are listed on the page though, which is nice.

We are not building guided missles here. :rolleyes:

Okay, here's another question for the kind approvers who have answered here already.

Do you guys have any special tricks or tools that you have that we don't?

Any really cool perks?

I would have to say the huge bonus checks are nice perks.

For the most part the tools are the same as what everyone else has. For example you can look at the cache listings and see how far apart they are from each other. We use that with the new caches to make sure they fit the distance of .1 of a mile guideline. Pretty basic stuff.

Okay, here's another question for the kind approvers who have answered here already.

Any really cool perks?

I would have to say the huge bonus checks are nice perks.

For the most part the tools are the same as what everyone else has. For example you can look at the cache listings and see how far apart they are from each other. We use that with the new caches to make sure they fit the distance of .1 of a mile guideline. Pretty basic stuff.

Ok, well apparently that was already mentioned.

Umm, did I mention the pay?

The best perk is that we all love what we do and love being a part of geocaching any which way possible.

Yes, a few things that make our work proceed more efficiently. Jeremy was kind enough to redesign the review section of the website last fall, as part of the overall site recoding project.

Also it is no secret that reviewers can see archived and unapproved caches when we run searches of any type on the website (although our pocket queries are the same as everyone else's). We need this ability in order to see if there have been any "problem caches" in the area of a cache we are reviewing. If the park manager confiscated a cache .1 miles away from the new one I'm looking at, I want to know that.

Finally, the reviewers have their own private forum where we discuss issues and specific caches, so that we can do our best to all be on the same page.

Any really cool perks?

We joke a lot about getting bribes by PayPal, etc., but I will give you a serious answer:

1. Volunteer reviewers who use separate accounts for their reviewer duties and their regular geocaching activities gain access to an additional set of pocket queries. These separate accounts need to be premium accounts because we need to be able to review members-only caches. I try not to abuse the privilege by only running PQ's under my Keystone account if the PQ relates to my reviewer duties (for example, showing me all caches that are temporarily disabled in State X). Besides, those PQ's won't distinguish between caches I've found or not found using my player account.

2. Volunteer reviewers are often asked to beta-test new site features before they are released live on the site. We also have a bit more access to Jeremy et al. for suggestions on corrections and improvements.

3. Recently a lot of us have been receiving quite a few yellow jeeps in the mail.

4. Hydee sent out Christmas packages to the reviewers with a nice assortment of Groundspeak merchandise. Volunteers have a Groundspeak t-shirt and a fleece pullover that you may see us wearing at events, but which aren't available in the Groundspeak store.

5. Getting to talk to :rolleyes: Hydee :P is the best perk of all.

There's no money in it. We do it because we want to give back to the game and the website.

Yes, a few things that make our work proceed more efficiently. Jeremy was kind enough to redesign the review section of the website last fall, as part of the overall site recoding project.

Also it is no secret that reviewers can see archived and unapproved caches when we run searches of any type on the website (although our pocket queries are the same as everyone else's). We need this ability in order to see if there have been any "problem caches" in the area of a cache we are reviewing. If the park manager confiscated a cache .1 miles away from the new one I'm looking at, I want to know that.

Finally, the reviewers have their own private forum where we discuss issues and specific caches, so that we can do our best to all be on the same page.

Any really cool perks?

We joke a lot about getting bribes by PayPal, etc., but I will give you a serious answer:

1. Volunteer reviewers who use separate accounts for their reviewer duties and their regular geocaching activities gain access to an additional set of pocket queries. These separate accounts need to be premium accounts because we need to be able to review members-only caches. I try not to abuse the privilege by only running PQ's under my Keystone account if the PQ relates to my reviewer duties (for example, showing me all caches that are temporarily disabled in State X). Besides, those PQ's won't distinguish between caches I've found or not found using my player account.

2. Volunteer reviewers are often asked to beta-test new site features before they are released live on the site. We also have a bit more access to Jeremy et al. for suggestions on corrections and improvements.

3. Recently a lot of us have been receiving quite a few yellow jeeps in the mail.

4. Hydee sent out Christmas packages to the reviewers with a nice assortment of Groundspeak merchandise. Volunteers have a Groundspeak t-shirt and a fleece pullover that you may see us wearing at events, but which aren't available in the Groundspeak store.

There's no money in it. We do it because we want to give back to the game and the website.

Slick delete/edit... :) (one of the other perks, huh?)

Edited by Stunod

Weird, I just couldn't quote for a second there. :)

So anyway, KA you mentioned a private forum, how come I haven't been given permission to get in there?

Special Groundspeak-wear, can you post pictures?

I'm going to investigate the above but can agree with you about the Hydee part. :D:D

Yes, the ability to delete and edit stupid chicken postings is definitely a perk. And one which I intend to continue abusing. :rolleyes:

But that's in your capacity as forum moderator, not in your capacity as cache approver.

Am I correct in making a separation between those two duties? Are all approvers also moderators, and vice versa?

There are several cache reviewers who are NOT forum moderators. (i.e., the really smart cache reviewers.) And some of us are busier moderators than others (i.e., the particularly unfortunate ones who moderate the General Geocaching Topics forum).

You can see who is a forum moderator by looking at each forum on the index page, or by clicking on the link for "The Moderating Team" at the bottom of that main page.

Yes, they are entirely separate roles. And you can be a forum moderator without being a cache reviewer.

Yes, the ability to delete and edit stupid chicken postings is definitely a perk.  And one which I intend to continue abusing.  :rolleyes:

But that's in your capacity as forum moderator, not in your capacity as cache approver.

Am I correct in making a separation between those two duties? Are all approvers also moderators, and vice versa?

They are separate as some approvers didn't want mod duties and for good reason.

All moderators are approvers, well it started out that way but I think it has changed a bit but could be wrong. Its hard to keep track.

The reason for that is because Groundspeak wanted people they could trust and they already trusted us as approvers so it made it an easy decision.

On most routine cache approvals, how much time do you spend on each cache?

Stu who? :rolleyes:

Depends on the area as some require a permit which usually takes more time but other than that it can be rather quick. Seconds.

I read the forums today, oh boy

About a lucky man who found the cache

And though the news was rather sad

Well I just had to laugh and

I saw the photograph

He took his pic out in a car

He didn’t notice webcam was offline

A crowd of muggles stood and stared

They’d seen his GPS before,

Nobody was really sure if he was from The Powers That Be.

I saw a log today oh, boy

The English cachers had just won FTF

A crowd of muggles turned away

So I just had a chance

To sign the logbook,

[to GPSr:] I’d love to turn you on...

Who's the forum moderator for the supper secret Approver Forum? Do approvers get banned for crumby postings?

I run the show there and keep everyone in line. As far as the bannings, yep, we like to practice banning each other from the forums.

Heh, you want to talk about warn meters. :rolleyes:

Who's the forum moderator for the supper secret Approver Forum? Do approvers get banned for crumby postings?

I run the show there and keep everyone in line. As far as the bannings, yep, we like to practice banning each other from the forums.

Heh, you want to talk about warn meters. :)

Talk about the inmate running the asylum! :rolleyes::P

Actually, the top frogs are Hydee and Jeremy of course. Trust me, there are people there with warning levels over 50%.

Barking Jeep Boy wrote:

On most routine cache approvals, how much time do you spend on each cache?

It is very hard to quote an average. For example, volunteers who cover states with lots of overlapping permit systems, lots of territory where caches are prohibited, etc., need to proceed far more deliberately. Once I see that the cache is in a rural area anyplace in Ohio, Pennsylvania or West Virginia, I need to satisfy myself that the particular spot is not within a state forest, state nature preserve, state park, national wildlife refuge, etc. etc.

An example of a quick review: Owner of 35 other caches and a good reputation for responsible cache hides places a new cache in a city park where I know that a blanket permission has been granted. Cache is a single-stage ammo can using a fluffy bunny theme. There are no other caches within 2 miles, the cache is 5 miles from the owner's house, there's no railroad tracks on the map, etc. etc.

Reviewing and listing that cache takes me about as much time as it did to type this post, or for you to post 8 times in Abject Silliness. :rolleyes:

But then, there are the multicaches along the railroad tracks right near the state forest boundary. They can take an hour or more, counting all the e-mails back and forth.

Edited by Keystone Approver
It is basically just the cache page. The 5 closes caches are listed on the page though, which is nice.

oh, i WISH i could do that! it would be ever so nice...

i would do ANYTHING to see the closest caches to ANY CACHE I WANTED without clicking another button.

oh, please make me an approver. please? please? i have too much time on my hands. in another week or so nobody will complain to me or about me on a daily basis and i'll really miss that.

and i could sure use that bonus check.

It is basically just the cache page.  The 5 closes caches are listed on the page though, which is nice. 

oh, i WISH i could do that! it would be ever so nice...

i would do ANYTHING to see the closest caches to ANY CACHE I WANTED without clicking another button.

oh, please make me an approver. please? please? i have too much time on my hands. in another week or so nobody will complain to me or about me on a daily basis and i'll really miss that.

and i could sure use that bonus check.

What has not been mentioned is that your bonus check gets split between you and the person who recommends you for the job and Hydee. It not a bad pyramid in the long run.

Most approvers come from local organizations. Since there really isn't one up in your area and you have lots of free time, maybe its time to help organize one?

Just an idea. :rolleyes:

Most approvers come from local organizations. Since there really isn't one up in your area and you have lots of free time, maybe its time to help organize one?

Just an idea. :rolleyes:

I'd be happy to help you get started with that. I started the Colorado Group. Its pretty easy to get going.

Edited by CO Admin
oh, please make me an approver. please? please? i have too much time on my hands.

When i first started geocaching, I asked about what it took to become an approver. Had I even the subtlest hint of the work involved, I would have never asked! I thought it would be good to give back or get further involved in the hobby, but man... these people really put in above and beyond. Especially for all teh crap they get.

Now, though, when people ask to become an approver, their motives are questioned... :rolleyes:

Now, though, when people ask to become an approver, their motives are questioned...

did you guys forget to turn your irony detectors on?

there's a good thread somewhere about how to pronounce "ammo can"...

Irony tends to be lost on our favorite Purple Pony. Amway boy just wants you in his downline.

Now, though, when people ask to become an approver, their motives are questioned...

did you guys forget to turn your irony detectors on?

there's a good thread somewhere about how to pronounce "ammo can"...

Irony tends to be lost on our favorite Purple Pony. Amway boy just wants you in his downline.

Hey, Irony or not. Id help him start a group. If I dont offer no one knows. Id rather miss the point and offer to help then not offer. :rolleyes::P:)

So there!! Now Im going back to playing with all these cool Yellow jeeps I have

Mods have to deal with crap like this:

This topic has nothing to do with geocaching...

To which I almost started another topic that would of went like this:

Topics that have nothing to do with geocaching.

"When we post a topic that we think will get locked do we leave it open so an approver can lock it later? Per this topic?

Alas I self moderate every now and then. Ok maybe I don't but I didn't start another topic on the topic of non topics.

A Day in the Life?

Woke up, fell out of bed,

Dragged a comb across my head

Found my way downstairs and drank a cup,

And looking up I noticed I was late.

Found my coat and grabbed my hat

Made the bus in seconds flat

Found my way upstairs and had a smoke,

Somebody spoke and I went into a dream

Regarding the forum moderator thing, I'm very happy just reviewing caches. Moderating these forums just doesn't appeal to me. <_<

Since mtn-man explained how he approves caches Ill tell you how I do mine

I print out all the caches for a state that need to be reviewed.

I go outside and draw a 6 foot circle on the ground.

I put a 12 foot ladder near the circle.

From 12 feet up over the center of the circle I drop all the cache printouts.

Any cache that lands in the circle gets approved.

Any that miss the circle gets archived.

those on the line get an e-mail for more information

Edited by CO Admin
Since mtn-man explained how he approves caches Ill tell you how I do mine

I print out all the caches for a state that need to be reviewed.

I go outside and draw a 6 foot circle on the ground.

I put a 12 foot ladder near the circle.

From 12 feet up over the center of the circle I drop all the cache printouts.

Any cache that lands in the circle gets approved.

Any that miss the circle gets archived.

those on the line get an e-mail for more information

So, the denser I make my cache page, the more likely it will be to get approved? Easy enough! Can I send nickles and quarters to tape to it, too?

and i appreciate your taking the time to answer seriously, irony aside. it just doesn't do any good at all to mix smarty-pants-ness and gratitude in the same post. it confuses people.

I was actually serious too flask. We have some information on our web site if it will help. Starting a group is really fun actually. You get to meet so many nice people at events and such. GA Geocachers are a very tight group. It is a blast.

http://www.ggaonline.org/clubdocs.html

Read the essay on Group Dynamics, especially the points at the bottom. It is a great article that one of our members pointed out a long time ago.