Large Display

I've got a friend whose eyesight, while not being horrible, doesn't let him read the small print on the GPS. This is primarily on the map screen and I know you can zoom. But I was wondering if any manufactur out there is making large display GPSr. I'm talking on the order of 5"x7" or larger. I might be to the point of suggesting a tablet PC with a GPSr PC Card except that it's going to be mounted on a motorcycle. Brand isn't important so even commercial units might be acceptable.

Thanks

Tim

My multi-purpose GPS that I run is a Garmin 176C. I use it for everything from in the car to hiking, geocaching, backpacking, etc. It is a rather large unit (almost twice the size of a Garmin 76) but it does sport a 3"x3" color screen. On some of the screens, I can increase the size of the text/numbers. I also fiddle with the backlighting and contrast to optimum viewing. While this does suck up a lot of electricity, I have a hard-wire tapped into my trucks wiring harness to provide its energy so I don't mind using the backlighting.

I say check out this unit first. Also some other marine-grade GPS units have big displays. For the most part, the 176 is big enough to see the screen but small enough to use for hiking (but just barely).

Max T.

What im thinking, is there should be a clip-on lens for the Meridian, so that the Display can appear larger. The Meridian's Large low resolution screen may be perfect for poor eyesight. The Vista is the worst, I cant read that anymore with my glasses on anymore.

Could somebody make a clip-on lens for Meridians?

Edited by GOT GPS?

How about a Pocket PC with autonavigation program like Mapopolis. The screen is much larger than a typical handheld GPS. Plus Mapopolis give instruction in very large type. PLus the also give the turn info in voice so he can plug earphone into the PPC jack. A god handlebar/shock mounting arrangement comes from RAM Mounts.

In the field, most GPS have pretty big compasses roses on the navigation page so he can switch to that after he parks.

Alan

I've got a friend whose eyesight, while not being horrible, doesn't let him read the small print on the GPS. <SNIP> I might be to the point of suggesting a tablet PC with a GPSr PC Card except that it's going to be mounted on a motorcycle.

Am I the only one worried that the guy can't read the display on a GPS but he still drives? :lol:

Anyway, one of the reasons I've stayed with the Garmin 76 line is it has one the largest displays out of the handheld units, and you can customize most of the screens to display larger fonts.

I have the StreetPilot III and the text is bigger there. It's made to be a navigation unit but I can stick 6 AA's in it for short excursions away from the vehicle (6 batteries last about 2 hours). The III has been discontinued, but the SP2620 is its' successor.

http://www.garmin.com/products/sp2620/

The Garmin 276c might be a good choice.

http://www.garmin.com/products/gpsmap276c/

-E

I've got a friend whose eyesight, while not being horrible, doesn't let him read the small print on the GPS.  This is primarily on the map screen and I know you can zoom.  But I was wondering if any manufactur out there is making large display GPSr.  I'm talking on the order of 5"x7" or larger.  I might be to the point of suggesting a tablet PC with a GPSr PC Card except that it's going to be mounted on a motorcycle.  Brand isn't important so even commercial units might be acceptable.

Thanks

Tim

Garmin makes some units with some rather large screens, mainly in the GPS line designed for Marine use. They are also very expensive.

For example the GPS Map 3010C has a 10.4"-diagonal, color TFT, full VGA, sunlight-readable display. That seems a bit large for use on a motorcycle but there are some smaller units. (It also lists for just under $4000)

How about something like the Garmin 276C.

it's not 5x7, that would be pretty large, 4" is close and it's around $800 :lol:

Edited by Right Wing Wacko
<snip> Am I the only one worried that the guy can't read the display on a GPS but he still drives? <_< <snip>

Truly tasteless and disrespectful, especially coming from someone that is very fast to quote/refer to the guidelines and corrects other people. Yes, I see the smiley face, and it was probably meant as a joke, but not one in good taste. IMHO

From the Groundspeak Forum Guidelines

Respect: Respect the guidelines for forum usage, and site usage. Respect Groundspeak, its employees, volunteers, yourself, fellow community members, and guests on these boards. Whether a community member has one post or 5,000 posts, they deserve the same respect.
<snip> Am I the only one worried that the guy can't read the display on a GPS but he still drives? :P <snip>

Truly tasteless and disrespectful, especially coming from someone that is very fast to quote/refer to the guidelines and corrects other people. Yes, I see the smiley face, and it was probably meant as a joke, but not one in good taste. IMHO

I thought it was pretty freakin' funny myself :lol:

...Just my 2¢

Apparently, the person in question (vision impaired motorcycle driver) is neither a fellow community member or guest on these boards. So technically, I don't see that Mopar's done anything wrong. <_<

Respect: Respect the guidelines for forum usage, and site usage. Respect Groundspeak, its employees, volunteers, yourself, fellow community members, and guests on these boards. Whether a community member has one post or 5,000 posts, they deserve the same respect.
Edited by Neo_Geo
I've got a friend whose eyesight, while not being horrible, doesn't let him read the small print on the GPS. <SNIP>  I might be to the point of suggesting a tablet PC with a GPSr PC Card except that it's going to be mounted on a motorcycle.

Am I the only one worried that the guy can't read the display on a GPS but he still drives? :lol:

Anyway, one of the reasons I've stayed with the Garmin 76 line is it has one the largest displays out of the handheld units, and you can customize most of the screens to display larger fonts.

No. I thought of that too and was going to comment like you did. But then I read the topic starter's first sentence. It appears the guy is farsighted so he wouldn't have trouble driving a motorcycle even if he does have trouble reading small print.

And I don't think it was in bad taste asking about it because if the guy couldn' see long distance, he shouldn't be driving. Fortunately that doesn't appear to be the case.

For him or us. <_<

<snip> Am I the only one worried that the guy can't read the display on a GPS but he still drives? :P <snip>

I thought it was pretty freakin' funny myself :lol:

...Just my 2¢

Apparently, the person in question (vision impaired motorcycle driver) is neither a fellow community member or guest on these boards. So technically, I don't see that Mopar's done anything wrong. <_<

We have no idea who the "guests" are on the boards.

Hmmm, so if I am doing 80mph in a marked 55mph zone, but a police officer does not see me… I am not breaking the law?

Back to being silly. What I do find humor in, and is kind of scary, is brail on drive-up ATM machines. This does worry me a bit.

Back on topic. Has anyone tried on of the game boy screen magnifiers?

Back to being silly. What I do find humor in, and is kind of scary, is brail on drive-up ATM machines. This does worry me a bit.

Back on topic. Has anyone tried on of the game boy screen magnifiers?

While it was intended to partially be funny, there was certainly no disrespect intended. Just concern for everyone's safety.

The same concern that caused us to take away my grandfather's car in his late 80's when he started to regularly "forget" to close his door before driving off, and "forget" to put his car in park before he got out.

The same concern as when an old room-mate of mine I also carpooled to work with confided in me that his vision was so poor he had to follow the tail lights of the car in front of him at night. Told him if he didn't get his eyes checked, I would make sure to tell a local police officer friend of ours about it.

The braille drive-up ATM's also worry me in a silly sort of way. So do people that call Automatic Teller Machines "ATM Machines". :rolleyes:

I've got a friend whose eyesight, while not being horrible, doesn't let him read the small print on the GPS.

I've resorted to a $12 pair of reading glasses that rest on my nose to read my unit. During the day, I just suffer through holding it at arm's length because of the sunglasses. I have a pair of dedicated bifocals for work that are tuned to about 12" from my nose and the tops at computer screen distance. These don't work for caching because I need about 18" and infinity. (and ground level.)

Distance sight is still fine at better than 20/20 in both eyes. It's just getting harder and harder to focus up close. :rolleyes:

If he's having problems with up close, I'd recommend seeing an eye doctor. That way he can read his gauges, too!