Which Gps?

Bliz

I am new to geocaching and would like to get into it. I need a GPS. I am willing to spend a couple of hundred for a good gps and would like opinions on what I should get. I have been reading about the Garmin Rino 130. Is this one of the best? Any Garmin users out there willing to give opinions? Pro-garmin or anti garmin? I am just looking for some good advice and guidance.

Thanks.

Rino is nice if friends, or family also have one. Otherwise some of the features are useless. If you would like a compact, full featured, mapping GPS at a good price, the eTrex Legend is a good choice. If you are a "money is no object" type, the 60CS is a getting rave reviews.

If you like the size of the eTrex line, but want more memory and an electronic compass, consider the Vista.

Now I'm sure a post will follow that will put down the Garmin's antenna and tell you Magellan has much better reception. Don't pay attention to them. I have a Vista and have been using it under heavy tree cover for 2 summers without a problem and when geocaching alongside Magellan users sometimes had reception when they didn't and vice-versa.

Edited by briansnat

My friend uses a Rino, and it is really nice. My first GPS was a Garmin eTrex. THe one we have now is a Magellen Meridian. It is great for maps, and you can get a great deal on eBay on these. You can get the eTrex for about $80.00 and the Meridian for about $130.00. Remember that for maps, you need to purchace sometimes expensive software.

My first GPS was a Garmin Legend and it was GREAT! I got mine for about $190.00 but I think they are cheaper now.

I recently upgraded to a Garmin 60cs just because I wanted the color display and auto-routing functions. I got my 60cs for $419.00.

Both units let you upload extra maps using the Mapsource line of software. The software isn't cheap but it is very nice and worth it, in my opinion. The base maps are good as well but adding the extra maps gives you more information.

Both of the Garmins I have owned were/are great and I've never had any trouble with either one.

I have never used a Mag so I know nothing about them. Sorry! :rolleyes:

Garmin also has excellent customer service!

I'm using a Garmin eTrex Legend and really like it.

There is a $30 mail in rebate on the Legend and Vista.

I like the size of the eTrex.

It would be nice to have the compass on the Vista, but I could not get myself to spend the extra $ for it.

Being my first GPS I new the Legend would do what I wanted.

At this point in time I'm very happy with my eTrex Legend.

I know you said money isn't a major concern, but all those lurkers that may be considering...

We have an eTrex venture. It is a little more accurate than the yellow eTrex (although some of the yellow users will say they can find the cache fine), it doesn't have the fancy maps or the fancy compass, but it does have a basic version of each. (I tend to like to have a really big paper map staring me in the face anyway) I can still download plenty of waypoints and find all the caches I want.

One other point, much cheaper than the "fancies"

I'm new to geocaching myself, but work for an expedition company, we run trips into the northern Sahara, so I have been using GPS units since 1993.

Magellan went through a shoddy phase in around 1995 and although all the reports I get know say they are much improved, we converted to Garmin back then and as I have enough software to sink a small boat I think I will be staying with them.

We specify (or suggest) a lot of units for our first time customers and at the moment the Etrex legend takes a lot of beating. why?

It has all the basic features you will want

it has computer compatibilty

it has on board maps and a reasonable internal memory

it offers good battery life, and has a car lead available

factory refurb units can be had for under $150

the bottom line is you will get to know how to use it, probably pick up some map software cheap, learn that, and will only need to upgrade when you want more memory or a bigger or colour display.

The Rhino 120 is very cool, its basically the Legend with a FRS radio attatched, if you know other people with them it will be great, but otherwise you are paying extra for the radio that you may seldom use, and frs radios alone are pretty cheap, although you wont get the position sending then.

hope that helps

John

I just wanted to thank all of you for your help and opinions. Well, I went ahead and ordered the Garmin 60C today. After doing additional research on the web and realizing the FRS is much better if done separately I opted for the 60C. I know it is a little much for a first GPS but I hope it will last me many years down the road ;)

Any help with the 60C would be appreciated.

I just wanted to thank all of you for your help and opinions. Well, I went ahead and ordered the Garmin 60C today. After doing additional research on the web and realizing the FRS is much better if done separately I opted for the 60C. I know it is a little much for a first GPS but I hope it will last me many years down the road :lol:

Any help with the 60C would be appreciated.

You won't be dissatisfied. :lol:

Now all you need to do is throw down another hundred bucks on MapSource, so you can take advantage of the autorouting capabilities.