Mobil Phone Download???

I just need a little help. A few months ago I downloaded that program to my phone, The one that shows you all neaby caches when you enter you current co ords, Ive been using this daily and its great, im now a paper free cacher.

The last couple of days the program has not been working, so I was going to redownload it to see if that helps, 1 problem I cant remember where I got the instructions from, Can someone post a link to the page which tells you how to download it!

manyt thanks

It's possible that the problems currently being experienced on the G:UK site have caused the failure. I would wait to see if the problem resolves it'self once G:UK is up and running again.

[EDIT]

Just tried a down load to my 3510i (yes... it used to work with that model) and it failed so I suspect the problem is at the G:UK end, not your phone.

Edited by Pharisee
Just tried a down load to my 3510i (yes... it used to work with that model) and it failed so I suspect the problem is at the G:UK end, not your phone.

Have just found out that the Trigpoint data base is back up and running so I've tried to download the nearest 10 caches to my current location......

Yep.... it's all working again on my 3510i

Am I just a poor confused femail? or do we have two topics containing similar threads, I have just put a question on the other topic Mobile Midlet, now Im not sure whether it should have been this one. I have tried the www.geocacheuk.com/midlet one on my nokia 3510i and just keep getting a message "File Format Unknown?"

I would be grateful for help pleeeeeese.

Joan

B)

Edited by Cave Troll & Joan

Yep, we do sem to have two threads active on this subject at the moment :-)

I suspect things are in a state of flux right now and that the service may only be available sparodically at the mo.

Probably best to wait until The Cat/Teasel announce that things are completely back to normal with the stats/trigpointing server.

Once it's back up, then we can start to debug any remaing problems better.

- Neil.

Hmmm, I've just tried accessing mobile.guk2.com through my browser, I get a 'Under construction' Icon.... Very strange, and defiantly the reason it's not working.

Try entering this link instead.... Unfortunately, this will take time to enter just using your phone keypad!!

stats.guk2.com/caches/mobile_midlet.jad

I'm sure the folks at GUK will fix this when they get around to it....,

Cheers,

Tony.

Edited by westonwanderers
Try entering this link instead.... Unfortunately, this will take time to enter just using your phone keypad!!

stats.guk2.com/caches/mobile_midlet.jad

I tried this and I just get "page not found". I didn't know if you had to include "http://" so I tried it with and without :unsure:

I can access this address on my PC and also download to the PC the .jar file, so I would assume that the site is doing all the right stuff and it is down to how I have my phone configured. I can access WAP pages with my phone ok.

Any further thoughts?

Edited by dogastus
http://www.geocaching.com/wap looks really useful, but has anyone worked out the correct format for the coordinates?. Whatever I try it just sends back the form again.

Do you figure the format out after?

Also just found this for mobile logging...

http://wap.geocaching.com/

Looks like the format for the search at http://www.geocaching.com/wap is thus

<snip I got it wrong, see other post>

And who runs the logging portal http://wap.geocaching.com/ ? is it official, would not like to thing that it was possible that a 3rd party could log users login credentials.

Edited by stonefisk

Looks like the format for the search at http://www.geocaching.com/wap is thus

for the co-ords N 51° 20.100 W 002° 13.360

it would be formated this way

Latitude ( 51.20100)

Longitude ( -002.13360)

opps, close but wrong !

for the co-ords N 51° 20.100 W 002° 13.360

convert to the format DEG.DDDDD which makes

Latitude ( 51.33500)

Longitude ( -002.22267)

Using - (minus) for West and South coordinates

Edited by stonefisk

Phew! that all looks complicated...

...I'm glad my Vista C will do all that stuff automatically. I just wack in umpteen million caches from GSAK in seconds via USB2 then it displays the nearest one to your present position and, when you mark that one as found, brings up the next nearest.

Nice 'n easy and no connection charges!

...or am I missing something?

Phew! that all looks complicated...

...I'm glad my Vista C will do all that stuff automatically. I just wack in umpteen million caches from GSAK in seconds via USB2 then it displays the nearest one to your present position and, when you mark that one as found, brings up the next nearest.

Nice 'n easy and no connection charges!

...or am I missing something?

I didn't know you could load the full cache description onto the Vista C as well as the umpteen million caches coordinates.

The benefit is for unplanned cache trips. Enter your location, voila a list of caches and access to the full description. And possibility to log those FTF's on the spot.

At the moment my provider is not charging for GPRS usage at all, so I am just taken advantage of that.