Trail Mapping

IMLost

Does anyone have any experience with mapping trails using their GPS? PSUPaul and I are working on a project to create maps for a county park. Supposedly there is 20 miles of trails in the park but no maps. We have access to Mapsend and National Geographics mapping software. Is there anything which is better suited to creating the maps we need? Personally I prefer to use open source software but would consider other programs. If you have done a project like this your advice would be greatly appreciated.

I've been working on a similar project except on private land. I am currently using USA Photo Maps for the work but the problem is that all of the tracks are one color. I don't like this but I am working with it for right now. I have Mapsource Topo and it allows easy manipulation of the tracks but the maps suck.

Here is what I did:

First, I went out and gathered data. I rode all of the sections of trails so that I would have tracks (ATVs make short work of it). When I would come to one section, I would turn off the GPS so it would start a new track. I would then turn it on (note the time!) and ride the section. Then I would save the track. This way I have a track for each specific trail.

After I had gathered my data, I put them onto mapsource and edited them. A few times I had to stop or had to backtrack so it left a lot of un-needed points on the track. Since Mapsource offers quick and easy editing of tracks, I used this program to get rid of these cluttering points. This made the tracks look MUCH cleaner. The GPS once randomly put a point about 500 feet off to one side. Why? I don't know but I was able to delete this one and improve the track.

Finally, I would put the tracks onto USA Photo Maps. Then I take a screen shot and go into the photo-editing program "Paint!" and adjust the size of the map, add text numbers, etc. By doing this, you turn the map into a "picture" which can be used by all computers.

I am sure there is a better way of doing this, but I am poor so I don't have access to better programs. I am sure there is a better way to do all of this but this (kinda) works.

Just so you know, here is what a map from National Geographic Topo! would look like. The detail seems to be a little bit on the lacking side, but it does compensate with coordinates, scale, and degree of declination already on the map. To add to that, it appears as though the map is ready to be printed on 8.5X11" paper which is convienent.

Hope this helps some!

Max T.

I have done a fair amount of map creation for mountain biking (creating maps to accompany ride descriptions for web sites and printed guides), but my methods aren't all that sophisticated. My steps are very similar to LR Max's.

The first step is recording tracks for all of the trails. If possible, I try to get multiple recordings to ensure good coverage. I then lay all of those tracks down together on a DRG (digital raster graphic, which is essentially a scanned and calibrated USGS topo map) loaded up in OziExplorer. Ozi has about the best track editing features that I've found. I generally edit one of the existing tracks or create a new one that best fits the available data.

Next I export the map with overlaid tracks to an image file, which I open in Photoshop. Then I add text and shadowing, lighten the background map to make the trails stand out, etc. An example of a map that I created for one of my local mountain bike areas, and for one of my caches, is visible here.

I originally wrote GPS Visualizer a couple summers ago because I wanted to make a map of a disc golf course -- so I can vouch for its mapmaking ability! One advantage of using GPS Visualizer over some other programs is that the maps it creates are vector drawings, meaning they're fully editable in a graphics program like Illustrator.

Of course, no matter what program you use, I'd go over all the trails at least two or three times to make sure you've got good data.

This website should explain how to accomplish your task using NGTOPO. The website this page comes from is Local Hikes. These are the instructions we use to file our hike reports. When you complete your project, you should consider submitting it to the website for everyone to view, utilize, and enjoy.

I am the other half of the project. And admittedly the less technology minded half. I am a member of Local Hikes and will post the trails on the site. I can use some new ones. Up until now I have just drawn the maps by the mapping tool, not used an upload from my GPS.

Here are my hikes PSUPAUL

An example of a map that I created for one of my local mountain bike areas, and for one of my caches, is visible here.

Talk about reverse engineering! :rolleyes:

When I did Moun10Bike Maze, I loaded that file into OZI and referenced the parking symbols from the coordinates given on the cache page. Then I put waypoints on each intersection and added the cache waypoints along with the other caches in the park, loaded it all into my Merigreen, and printed out the map. Shoulda just begged the ozi map file off of you (Including the final cache location, of course :D).

A couple software tips...

After I had gathered my data, I put them onto mapsource and edited them. A few times I had to stop or had to backtrack so it left a lot of un-needed points on the track. Since Mapsource offers quick and easy editing of tracks, I used this program to get rid of these cluttering points. This made the tracks look MUCH cleaner. The GPS once randomly put a point about 500 feet off to one side. Why? I don't know but I was able to delete this one and improve the track.

Mapsource is good for editing track data. Note that you can sort by number of points by clicking on the column header, then select the first item, shift-click on the last to be deleted and get rid of the noise all at once.

Finally, I would put the tracks onto USA Photo Maps. Then I take a screen shot and go into the photo-editing program "Paint!" and adjust the size of the map, add text numbers, etc. By doing this, you turn the map into a "picture" which can be used by all computers.

Most versions of Windows [if that's what you use] support active window capture with the print screen and alt-print screen keys. You can paste the result in almost any graphics program with an edit/paste function. Perhaps this is how you did it with Paint!, but I thought it was worth mentioning.
All righty then….30+, I think I may have told Noah about the flood. :rolleyes: Sorry, I thought it would be helpful. :D Not trying to insult anyone. :P

No insult taken at all. Sorry if I came off that way. I am glad you reminded me of the opportunity to post them there and get some kudos for the ones I did! :P:D:D

All righty then….30+, I think I may have told Noah about the flood. :D  Sorry, I thought it would be helpful. :D  Not trying to insult anyone.  :rolleyes:

No insult taken at all. Sorry if I came off that way. I am glad you reminded me of the opportunity to post them there and get some kudos for the ones I did! :D:P:P

I did not take it that way; I was just poking fun at myself.

I will second the localhikes.com suggestion. Become a reporter for localhikes.com. They will give you all the software, show you how, and even post your hikes on a national web site for all to share.

Unfortunately localhikes.com has their fill of reporters. You will be placed on a waiting list. :o

I originally wrote GPS Visualizer a couple summers ago because I wanted to make a map of a disc golf course -- so I can vouch for its mapmaking ability!  One advantage of using GPS Visualizer over some other programs is that the maps it creates are vector drawings, meaning they're fully editable in a graphics program like Illustrator.

Wow! Thanks for all the replies. It just so happens that there is a disc golf course in this park and I am sure there is no map. I may asking for some advise on that and any hints about playing would be helpfull also I just bought my first couple of discs the other day might go give it a try this weekend.

The NGTopo maps are nice but I'am wondering for this park to have them printed on brochures wouldn't it be expensive because of the amount of colors and shading? Maybe we could make Hi-Res images which could be available for download on the website which could be printed.

I like the GPSvisualizer maps but have a question I can't seem to open them in Illustrator I have a old version not sure which one because I am not on the computer right now. Is there a plugin needed for Illustrator? Do you know is there a way to open the file in Macromedia Freehand? I have a newer version of that.

I also have all the USGS topo maps on disc so the OZIexplorer option is also a possibility.

Edited by IMLost
I will second the localhikes.com suggestion.  Become a reporter for localhikes.com.  They will give you all the software, show you how, and even post your hikes on a national web site for all to share.

Unfortunately localhikes.com has their fill of reporters. You will be placed on a waiting list. :o

That totally depends on your area!

If somebody from Southern NM wants in, I will gladly let then have it, I already have my fill in West Texas.

Seems strange, me handling two states. Guess not every area has too many yet!

Some GPS's are better than others for keeping satellite reception under heavy tree cover. I've often walked for a quarter mile without reception with my etrex Vista, hence no track data. GPSr's that allow remote antenna that could be "worn" on your hat would be better.

If you're missing data, Mapsource will artificially fill-in the track it thinks you followed so it'll look like you didn't miss anything but the reslt could be off. Basically a straight line will be put in between actual reception points even if you walked in circles for that time.

The nice thing about NG Topo is you can create a route from the track with any number of selected waypoints. Those waypoints can then be exported for anyone to use in their brand of GPS or their mapping software. They can the create their own maps from your track waypoints.

Good luck

Alan

Simply recording your track on the GPS and then uploading it to NG Topo makes a nice map. Shown below is an example of one I did a few weeks ago. It is a piece of cake to do. RM

5ab6a424-b15a-4314-adfb-bc86ebf2f081.jpg

RM, can you tell me exactly how you did it?

I have breadcrumbs of a route in my GPS, part of which I want to export to a NG Topo map. But can I then delete the parts I don't want?

So far, I have only exported waypoints to NG Topo maps, and they appear like ugly blurry thick blue dots, and I haven't figured out how to change that, let alone how to manipulate tracks.

Sunra: Breadcrumbs are synonymous for tracks. They are not routes. Routes are created by creating one waypoint after the other and placing then in a route where you go from the first to the last. Breadcrumbcs or tracks are created as you walk around .

It sounds like you have transfered routes or waypoints to NG Topo not tracks. Export the tracks into NG Topo then you can cut and manipulate the tracks to your liking. You can also edit tracks in Mapsource if you're using Garmin.

Alan

Edited by Alan2
Sunra: Breadcrumbs are synonymous for tracks. They are not routes. Routes are created by creating one waypoint after the other and placing then in a route where you go from the first to the last. Breadcrumbcs or tracks are created as you walk around .

It sounds like you have transfered routes or waypoints to NG Topo not tracks. Export the tracks into NG Topo then you can cut and manipulate the tracks to your liking. You can also edit tracks in Mapsource if you're using Garmin.

Alan

Thanks for the correction. I said Routes, I meant tracks. My question remains the same, though...

Can you legally reprint these maps?

That's a very good question. I checked and couldn't find any licensing information from the website. I was looking at a map that PSUPaul dropped off last night and it has a small copyright on the bottom it may be OK as long as that stays with the map. Would need to check the license that came with the software though. Honestly it looks like they are just using the USGS topos and added shading for to show the 3D effect.

Here's the license that came with NG Topo; It looks like you can get a free license where" protected" but actually they are very lenient - they just want to protect the software and the systems you can use it on. Sorry for the volume but that's what its is.

Alan

1.0 TOPO! and Pocket TOPO! License Agreement

TOPO! & Pocket TOPO!

BY INSTALLING THIS SOFTWARE, YOU ACCEPT ALL THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF THIS

AGREEMENT. IF YOU DO NOT AGREE TO THE TERMS OF THIS AGREEMENT, DO NOT USE

THE SOFTWARE. RETURN THE SOFTWARE TO THE PLACE WHERE YOU OBTAINED IT

WITHIN 30 DAYS OF THE DATE OF PURCHASE FOR A FULL REFUND.

1. Grant of License. This Agreement permits you (“Licensee”) to use the enclosed copyrighted machine

readable software program and associated data files that comprise TOPO! & Pocket TOPO! (“Software”)

and the TOPO! User’s Guide (“Documentation”). This agreement permits you to use the Software to create

customized maps, elevation profiles, exports for use with Pocket TOPO!, exports for use with GPS

receivers, graphic files, and mapXchange (.tpo and .tpg format) files that can be output from the program.

Any map, elevation profile, export for Pocket TOPO!, export for GPS receivers, graphics, or mapXchange

(.tpo & .tpg format) file that is generated from the software will be referred to in this license as a

“Reproduction.” This Agreement is a license agreement and not a sale of a software product. The

Software, Documentation, and Reproductions are furnished for your use and remain the property of

National Geographic.

This Software is licensed to you to serve as a general reference for your personal, business, or institutional

use. The geographical data used in the Software is based on USGS topographic maps, USGS elevation data,

and the USGS Geographic Names Information System. Please consider carefully the fact that the TOPO!

Software and the geographic data may not be adequate for purposes requiring precision in depiction of

geographic features, exact measurement of direction or distance, or for similar purposes including but not

limited to navigation, tracking, or emergency response.

This License grants you the right to use the Software on a single personal computer and a single handheld

computer. It does not authorize network use of any kind. You may not decompile, disassemble, or use any

method to discover the trade secrets contained in the Software. You may not modify, adapt, translate, rent,

lease, timeshare, or loan the Software. You may copy elements of the Software onto the hard disk of your

computer and load elements of the Software into RAM and the CPU of your computer.

Please call or write National Geographic for details regarding 5 or 10 packs, network, or site wide licenses.

You may transfer your rights under this Agreement by providing the recipient the Software and

Documentation, provided that you retain no copies of the Software or Documentation and that the other

party agrees to the terms of this License Agreement.

2. Output Limitations.

Hardcopy print-outs

This license grants you the right to create and reproduce an unlimited number of hard copy Reproductions

for your personal, in-house business, or intra-institutional use, subject to the property rights notice and

credit requirements set forth below. We ask that the National Geographic copyright notices appear in

legible form on or adjacent to the reproduction in the following form. For Maps: “Map created with

TOPO!® ©2001 National Geographic (www.nationalgeographic.com/topo)”. For Profiles: “Profile created

with TOPO!™ ©2001 National Geographic (www.nationalgeographic.com/topo)”.

You may distribute hard copy Reproductions on paper, as long as the Reproductions are distributed freely,

without charge, in a non-commercial manner and the National Geographic copyright notice appears in

legible form or National Geographic is given legible credit as described in paragraph 1 of the output

limitations section. We ask that you obtain a supplemental license in writing from National Geographic

before you reproduce any Reproductions in a publication that is for sale, resale or that contains paid

advertisements. In many cases this license is available at no charge.

Exports for Pocket TOPO!

You may use the Software to create and transfer Reproductions to a handheld device for use with Pocket

TOPO! for your personal use.

Exports for GPS receivers

You may use the Software to create and transfer Reproductions to GPS receivers for your personal use.

MapXchange files (.tpo & .tpg)

You may use the Software to create and distribute an unlimited number of MapXchange (.tpo & .tpg

format) files to other licensed TOPO! users via e-mail, ftp, and removable storage media as long as the

Reproductions are distributed freely, without charge, in a non-commercial manner in the .tpo and .tpg

format that can be read by the TOPO! software. MapXchange .tpo files created for export to handhelds

may not be distributed and are for your personal use. To learn more about posting and downloading

mapXchange files visit www.nationalgeographic.com/mapxcchange

Imagery for web sites

We ask that you obtain a supplementary license in writing from National Geographic before you reproduce

display or distribute any Reproductions as Graphic Images over the Internet or other electronic networks. In

many cases this license is available free of charge. Please contact National Geographic for more details for

extended use licenses at topo@ngs.org or (415) 558-8700.

3. Property Rights. The Software, Documentation, and the Data that comprises the Reproductions are

owned and copyrighted by National Geographic with all rights reserved. You may make one copy of the

Software for backup purposes. The Software represents and embodies trade secrets of National Geographic

and/or its licensors. These trade secrets are not licensed to you, and any modification, addition, or deletion

is prohibited. You agree to take all reasonable steps to protect the Software from unauthorized copying or

use.

4. Term. This License is effective until terminated. This License and your right to use the Software

terminate automatically if you violate any part of this agreement. Should the Agreement be terminated, you

agree to return all copies of the Software, Documentation, and Reproductions furnished to you, or made by

you, and all copies to National Geographic, including copies resident in the computer’s memory.

5. U.S. Government Restricted Rights. If this Software is acquired by or on behalf of any unit or agency of

the United States Government, this provision applies. This Software (a) was developed at private expense,

and no part of the software application was developed with government funds, (;) is a National Geographic

trade secret for all purposes of the Freedom of Information Act, © is restricted computer software

submitted with restricted rights in accordance with 52.227-19 (a) through (d) of the Commercial Computer

Software Restricted Rights Clause and successors, (d) in all respects is proprietary data belonging solely to

National Geographic, and (e) is published and all rights are reserved under the copyright laws of the United

States. For units of the Department of Defense (DOD), this Software is licensed only with Restricted Rights

as that term is defined in the DOD Supplement to the Federal Acquisition Regulations, 52.227-7013 © (1)

(iii) and its successors. Use, duplication, or disclosure of the Software by the Government is subject to

restrictions as set forth in subdivision (:D(3)((ii) of the Rights in Technical Data and Computer Software

clause at 252.227-7013 of the DOD FAR. Contractor/manufacturer is National Geographic, 375 Alabama

Street, Suite 400, San Francisco, CA 94110.

6. Export Laws. Licensee understands that the product may require a license from the U.S. Department of

Commerce or other government agency before it may be taken or sent outside of the United States.

Licensee agrees to obtain any required license before taking or sending the Software outside the United States. Licensee will not permit the export or re-export of the Software without obtaining required licenses

of letters of further assurance.

7. Governing Law. This agreement will be governed by, and interpreted in accordance with; the laws of the

State of California of the United States of America as applied to transactions entirely within California

between California residents.

8. Entire Agreement. This agreement sets forth the entire understanding and agreement between National

Geographic and you, and may be amended only in a writing signed by both parties. NO VENDOR,

DISTRIBUTOR, DEALER, RETAILER, SALES PERSON, OR OTHER PERSON IS AUTHORIZED TO

MODIFY THIS AGREEMENT OR TO MAKE ANY WARRANTY, REPRESENTATION, OR

PROMISE WHICH IS DIFFERENT THAN, OR IN ADDITION TO, THE REPRESENTATIONS OR

PROMISES OF THIS AGREEMENT.

9. Waiver. No waiver of any right under this agreement will be effective unless contained in writing,

signed by a duly authorized representative of National Geographic, and no waiver of any past or present

right arising from any breach or failure to perform will waive any future right arising under this agreement.

10. Severability. If any provision in this agreement is invalid or unenforceable, that provision will be

interpreted, limited, modified, or, if necessary, severed, to the extent necessary, to eliminate its invalidity or

unenforceability, and the other provisions of this agreement will remain unaffected.