Micro Cache Bashing

Moun10goat

I am tired of hearing the bashing going on in the spokane area. :D I do understand that some have been put out in areas that are not best suited for any cache. but we have had enough of hearing about it. It's time to move on and start to try to help and teach other to be more responsible hiders and not be negitive sour stuck up sob's. time to drop the hard feelings and start to creat a chapter that is fun loving. ;) I'm about to turn my back on this chapter and sit back to how long it takes for it to fall apart for I don't think it will take long the way it is going right now

that's only my opion though, I guess that I am just a little disgusted with the attude that I see in some that are in "elected " possision.

I'd rather not see any bashing of anyone. One of the nice things about geocaching in my opinion is that there's room for everyone to find some aspect of the game that appeals to them.

I really don't believe that there's very many folks out there hiding caches that they themselves think is lame. I may not always 'get' why they hid the cache they did where they did, but I expect that they have a good reason.

The nice thing about the Inland Empire is that there's plenty of caches out there for individual tastes. I'm really looking forward to when Jeremy finally gets a chance to code the Ignore feature.

If the majority of the micros in this area were well planned out, clever, interesting, or served some other purpose there would be no bashing going on. You have every right to complain about the bashing, just as we have every right to complain about pointless micros (not all of them fit this catagory). You also are capable of ignoring this bashing, just as you expect us to ignore these poorly thought out micros. If quiting when you don't get your way is your style, then do what you want.

I was present at these elections, and even turned down a nomination, and I did not see anyone try to oppose anyone, or even come close to getting near the votes, as everybody won by a landslide, so if you are suggesting by your quotation marks that the election was rigged in some way I say BULL. I also have the upmost respect for each elected official, as did the vast majority of people at the meeting. They are all people that have done a great deal for caching in this area, and I have yet to do a single one of their caches that was not top notch!

If the majority of the micros in this area were well planned out, clever, interesting, or served some other purpose there would be no bashing going on. You have every right to complain about the bashing, just as we have every right to complain about pointless micros (

I wonder when this type of cacher is going to just not do "pointless" micros????

Instead of complaining about them? I don't complain about multis, I don't complain about puzzles. I just don't do them very often.

(

I wonder when this type of cacher is going to just not do "pointless" micros????

Instead of complaining about them? I don't complain about multis, I don't complain about puzzles. I just don't do them very often.

I usually don't do them, but I get really tired of sorting through the junk to find the treasures. It wasn't that long ago that I wanted to do pretty much every cache in my area, not so any more. I have had a few times when I have been planning to use a spot for a cache, but because it takes me time to plan out something that I think is going to be worthwhile to find, the spot gets taken by someone that just drives by and plants something so small they can barely put a logbook into and thinks they are being clever. I don't mind being beat to the punch, Kavuday has a knack for doing it, but at least I enjoy doing his caches when he does because he puts a little effort into it.

... I get really tired of sorting through the junk to find the treasures.  It wasn't that long ago that I wanted to do pretty much every cache in my area, not so any more.  ...

Bingo. And very often, one can't discern the quality of the cache (micro or otherwise) from the cache description.

There are hundreds, if not thousands, of impressively constructed cache pages where during the search for the cache it becomes abundently clear that the cache owner put so much thought and effort into creating their cache page that none was left when it came time to assemble and place the actual cache.

An on-topic inquiry: Which weight sledgehammer is best for "micro cache bashing?" :rolleyes:

Edited by Bassoon Pilot

ok my turn ,,i guess,, as i have stated on logs for a micro cache or two of mine if you dont like micros dont do them ... if you have a problem with how one is hid or where it is hid please advise the cache owner in a civilized manner and discuss the situation . any one who has a problem with any micro i have hid can freely and is encouraged to tell me if it is a dumb , stupid or just plain bad idea or a bad place for a cache .. if others want places to hide larger caches they need to seek them out just as i have , some cache spots i had thought of placing are already occupied and ideas for the size and type of containers are not limitless either. so whom ever has a problem with a micro cache placed by me in thespokane area tell me why you feel it is not to be a cache and it will most likely be archived so you all can go hide your 5 gallon buckets ,,, like to see how that will be hid in a busy residental park with out digging a hole which is not supposed to be allowed but i have recently found several burried caches.

joe greenthumb-ke7pi.

ok my turn ,,i guess,, as i have stated on logs for a micro cache or two of mine if you dont like micros dont do them ... if you have a problem with how one is hid or where it is hid please advise the cache owner in a civilized manner and discuss the situation . any one who has a problem with any micro i have hid can freely and is encouraged to tell me if it is a dumb , stupid or just plain bad idea or a bad place for a cache .. if others want places to hide larger caches they need to seek them out just as i have , some cache spots i had thought of placing are already occupied and ideas for the size and type of containers are not limitless either. so whom ever has a problem with a micro cache placed by me in thespokane area tell me why you feel it is not to be a cache and it will most likely be archived so you all can go hide your 5 gallon buckets ,,, like to see how that will be hid in a busy residental park with out digging a hole which is not supposed to be allowed but i have recently found several burried caches.

joe greenthumb-ke7pi.

Apparently all we have to do is wait. Nearly half the caches you have planted have been archived already. Since you have started caching you have averaged almost a cache hide a week for about 16 months! I tried that two summers ago for two months and ran myself ragged doing it, but almost all of those caches are still up and running. Do you really think it is necessary to plant that many caches? The gripe I have has absolutely nothing to do with size, it is the quality of the cache. I have planted micros too, but I try to plan them out to provide something different and challenging, not just difficult because it is very small, there is no challenge in that. I really don't believe that anyone can do that at a rate of one a week for 16 months unless it is a full time job and they are some kind of genius. Don't you think that you may have had to archive a lot less caches if you had spent more time planning them than you did. The rules also say "don't go cache crazy and hide a cache every 600 feet just because you can." This is to prevent cache saturation, something that would happen very quickly if everyone in this area planted a cache every week. My own personel guideline is to ask myself "if I were introducing someone to this past time would this be the first cache I would take them to, and would they say Hey that was cool! or would they say You spend how much time doing this?"

Why is it such a terrible thing to ask people to slow the heck down and plan out your caches a little. All it will do is improve the quality of caches in your area. Don't you want that? You don't have to hide them all yourself!

I think the key point here has been mentioned several times, if you don't like the micros don't hunt them. I go through moods, some days I just want to find easy regular caches with lots of broken McToys. Then on other days I'm up for a challenge and a good evil micro or two is just what I'm looking for.

I've often said that we got really lucky with our first cache hide. It is in a good spot, and still going strong after over 2 years. Our next several hides did not fare so well, we had good intentions but they were not well researched and wound up being plundered. We stopped hiding for a while and focused on finding caches. This gave us a much better idea of what works and what doesn't.

Now when I consider placing a cache, I research the area for a while before the cache is hidden. I check for other caches to make sure the area isn't already full of caches. I also ask myself, why do I want to bring other cachers to this spot. There has to be a reason other than the cache. If there isn't, then it's not a good place to hide a cache.

Just my humble thoughts.

There are hundreds, if not thousands, of impressively constructed cache pages where during the search for the cache it becomes abundently clear that the cache owner put so much thought and effort into creating their cache page that none was left when it came time to assemble and place the actual cache.

Amen.

Sometimes the impressive cache pages lead you to think the quality of the hide is as well done as the cache page.

More than once we have been to a cache that had a fancy webpage only to find a plastic can thrown in the middle of a sagebrush.

Amen.

Sometimes the impressive cache pages lead you to think the quality of the hide is as well done as the cache page.

More than once we have been to a cache that had a fancy webpage only to find a plastic can thrown in the middle of a sagebrush.

That's cache foreplay guys. Women understand this.

I also ask myself, why do I want to bring other cachers to this spot.  There has to be a reason other than the cache.  If there isn't, then it's not a good place to hide a cache.

Just my humble thoughts.

Yes, yes and yes. Anybody can throw a bison tube into a briar patch and call it a clever hide but saying so doesn't make it so.

Mr Wienerdog

My own personel guideline is to ask myself "if I were introducing someone to this past time would this be the first cache I would take them to, and would they say Hey that was cool! or would they say You spend how much tim doing this?"

That is exactly what I've been trying to say but Niskibum said it so eloquently and succintly that I'm going to adopt that as my own personal guideline. For those that get the idea that I don't like ALL micros that isn't the case either. I've done some really nice ones recently up in Lincoln park; a beautiful area and a pleasure to return to again and again. They certainly meet the above standard and I expressed my appreciation in my logs.

Edited by MedicOne

I think that some of you got the idea of why I started this topic. One give the cache a chance it might satisfy some ones need but then agian why was it put there research is the best way to put a cache out there. Two go have fun If you don't like the cache find a polite way to say it. If you know that it is one that you won't like don't go. Three e-mail the person that set the cache out there find out why they put it there and if you dont think that it meet their goal than ask if they wouldn't mind some suggestion to make it better. I wasn't trying to complane about the puzzle caches they have there place, I was using it as a example of the caches that I am not fond of. As i said be for hats of ot those that have the savey to hide and to do they and more power to you all.

Lazyboy & Mitey Mite said:

Sheesh,

Well I'm glad the all count the same because I enjoy them all the same. Too bad some of you don't. You'd have more smiles per mile if you tried that.

Read your profile and you said:

Our 500th find was the best... King Kaheli GC3EF7

Apparently Lazyboy & Mitey Mite don't enjoy them all the same or that one particular one would not stand out as the best! In my caching experience I've certainly not enjoyed them all the same. Some, in fact, like your 500th really stand out so much so that I keep a running list of my top ten favorites.

Edited by MedicOne

ok niskibum i give in your right and i am not ?? ... the reason a good many of my caches have been archived is due to plundering not once or twice but many of them several times .. should i just keep replacing them over and over ? they were not poorly hidden or in areas more or less susceptible than many caches in the spokane area. some cachers do not have the time or physical means to do caches with difficult terains 4-5 or miles long hikes to get to . if urban caches (micros) are so bad why are they allowed ???? maybe the rules for placing caches at least .01 miles apart should be widened ?? what do you suggest ?? i am not the only one hidding caches in my area . some of the recent caches i have done in the spokane area seem to have had only basic planning and not months of preperation yet those cachers hid them anyway. i have also done several very nicely planned and located caches lately which i appreciate the cachers who hid them. currently i have only planted 2 VERY small micro caches and have archived one of them due to a safety problem that has occured in the area and i felt the cache needed to be archived to prevent unecessary risk of injury . the rest are of varying size and cammoflague and some are contained within a larger object even though the cache it self is of micro size. as per your suggestions i will slow down and not plant so many caches . i am getting the sense that you feel i should be spending more time planning caches out and traveling to out of the way rural areas to plant them ? hopefully the time i am spending planning caches will not offend you and others in the future. joe- greenthumb

I am sorry, I don't agree with you Greenthumb. All the caches that I have done of yours have been more than wonderful - even the "stair way to?" that you arched. As far as the amount that you place, I think that some have more time to place caches then others do, more knowledge of where to put them, or can come up with more Ideas than others. Some of us have more of an analytical mind set in placing cache than others.

HAVE FUN, ENJOY CACHING. :D

If you have a good idea where to place a cache, place it. Maybe I started something too sensitve for some to handle. I do highly disagree with Niskibums assement of Greenthumbs practices. There are others that may have more of a problem with "placing too many caches too quickly", with no one in particular in mind when I say that, just a comment for you all to consider.

:o HAVE FUN, ENJOY CACHING :D

All this post was about was to say LET US ALL STOP BASHING CACHES. Micros just happend to be the ones that have been the brunt of the bashing here in Spokane as of late.

And Oh did I mention

:D HAVE FUN, ENJOY CACHING :D

I'm sorry you feel that way Moun10goat, my main purpose on this thread has been to improve caching. I think that when someone has to archive almost half of their caches in a little over a year there is a problem there. Weather it is with their technique, or their choice of locations, if you plant over sixty caches over the course of about 16 months and have to archive almost thirty you should step back and say hey, what am I doing wrong here, or how can I improve this. I got an email from a highly respected cacher (I don't know of anyone that doesn't hold this cacher in high regard) that called it the shotgun technique, where you throw a ton of caches out there and hope some of them stick.

Not all micros are bad, I enjoy doing them myself when they are well done, but there are a lot of bad caches out there and micros make it easier. To illustrate this ask a five year old to hide a micro in your house and then try to go find it, then ask him to hide an ammo box. The micro might take you a week to find, but you'll find the ammo box right away. I don't know too many five year olds with very analytical minds, but they can sure hide a really small thing easily.

I am sorry if it seems like I have been picking on one or two people in particular here, that was not my intent. This problem isn't just in our area, I have heard similar thoughts from people in different places, but I don't like it too much when I hear people use the term "micronausea" for the Spokane area. I would like to have this area known for something more positive than that.

I also ask myself, why do I want to bring other cachers to this spot.  There has to be a reason other than the cache.  If there isn't, then it's not a good place to hide a cache.

Just my humble thoughts.

Yes, yes and yes. Anybody can throw a bison tube into a briar patch and call it a clever hide but saying so doesn't make it so.

Mr Wienerdog

I agree. my favorite micros are those that are out in trhe open...yet tough. Needle in haystack...in the woods...like some Redmond micro caches...well, I think boxes should be used instead. At least give a good hint if doing micros in woods!!!!

not to sure who coined the phrase micronausea but it did not start with me... i just did maintenance on a cache yesterday that the container which had been in place nearly a year , it was recently reported to be smashed to bits and left for dead ,,, as soon as i could get to the cache site we rehid a newer , larger container nearby in a hopefully more friendly spot . it is really too bad some people around this area think that more than a hand full of caches placed by one indivudual is too many i agree if you can not maintain a cache then do not place it or if it turns out the area is not suitable even after it seemed to be then dont replace it. that is why i have not placed any caches in very remote areas that i may visit only once in a great while . also why so many of my caches have been archived due to repeated plundering or the area became unfriendly for a cache spot. i have chosen to place caches where i can maintained and repair them if necessary. once again some of you think that this is worng ??? i am open to your suggestions on where to place a cache that is 100 % plunder proof and not in such a remote area that it is nearly impossible for the vast majority of cachers to attempt to search for it. i sure wish we could just all get along and have fun caching ,,, joe g.t. :D

Edited by Greenthumb and Tweetie