First Cache Temporarily Disabled

My first cache that I hid, Sparky's GC1, was in danger of being destroyed by construction. The construction is now overwith, and I was wondering what some of you think about whether or not I should make it active again. It's had some good responses, is very easy to find, yet not mugglebait. I was thinking of restocking it with toys for the younger crowd, since it's not much of a challenge, but would still be fun for youngsters to find. By my own admission, it's pretty lame for adults.

Take a look and tell me what you think. Would it be better to archive it, or reactivate it as a "Kid Cache"?

In my mind there are good reasons to archive caches after a year or so and create new ones. That provides new caches for veteran geocachers to find in their own areas. When a cache is unique in some sense then there may be reason to keep it active. Archiving a cache can open up a location for new placement by the same cacher or by a different cacher. Maybe a different type cache, multi, mystery, etc.

In this case I think I would vote for archiving instead of reactivating.

Watch it when you say "Kid's Cache." Some kids are pretty adventurous and enjoy a challenge just as much as the grownups. Little Leprechaun found two terrain 4 caches with me last weekend (and they weren't overrated... a 600 foot elevation gain during a mile hike, followed by rock climbing and cave crawling). You have offended my daughter with your fightin' words. :D

Seriously.... if it is a cool spot worth stopping at, keep the cache even if it's an easier find. If there is nothing special about either the general surroundings or the actual hunt for the cache, axe it and place a better one.

Watch it when you say "Kid's Cache." Some kids are pretty adventurous and enjoy a challenge just as much as the grownups. Little Leprechaun found two terrain 4 caches with me last weekend (and they weren't overrated... a 600 foot elevation gain during a mile hike, followed by rock climbing and cave crawling). You have offended my daughter with your fightin' words. :D

Seriously.... if it is a cool spot worth stopping at, keep the cache even if it's an easier find. If there is nothing special about either the general surroundings or the actual hunt for the cache, axe it and place a better one.

Oh, great...that's just what I need after me now, a hamster-totin' leprechaun with an attitude! B):D

To be honest, it's not all that interesting in that exact spot, but it's along the access road to one of my other caches that involves a half-mile hike through the timber and brush along the river, so it's fairly scenic...or at least about as scenic as south central Kansas can be. As far as the actual location, it's definitely interesting, and unique in a way. Anywhere else within 20 miles or so, it would violate certain guidelines as far as post 9/11 fears go, but here it's about the least likely target for terrorists I can think of.

Sounds like the general consensus is to reactivate it, which was what I was hoping for. I think the location on the way to the other cache makes that more viable, so caching families can let the youngun's find their own "treasure", too. B)

In my mind there are good reasons to archive caches after a year or so and create new ones. That provides new caches for veteran geocachers to find in their own areas. When a cache is unique in some sense then there may be reason to keep it active. Archiving a cache can open up a location for new placement by the same cacher or by a different cacher. Maybe a different type cache, multi, mystery, etc.

In this case I think I would vote for archiving instead of reactivating.

Think about the new cachers and the joy they could get finding the cache. I have looked on the maps at the caches that were archived before I started, and wish I could have gotten some of them.

To be honest, it's not all that interesting in that exact spot, but it's along the access road to one of my other caches that involves a half-mile hike through the timber and brush along the river

Because you already have a "good" cache nearby, I would say it's time to archive the earlier cache and place your new kid-friendly cache elsewhere.

I can see your point there, however, this one is already on the way to the other cache, and I was thinking it would be a good thing to have it there for caching kids or others who don't want to do the longer walk. And really, cache density in the area is pretty much non-existant. The next closest to these two is about 6 miles or so, and beyond that, you've got to go 15 miles to find the next few. This particular cache isn't blocking anything out, as really there is not a single place within 0.1 miles any direction for hiding another. This is south-central Kansas, nothing but miles and miles of flat, wide-open wheat fields with the occasional tree-lined creek or river, or windbreak. I am going to hide more caches in the general area anyway, but since this one is so easy, I was wondering whether it should be archived, or left for the cachers that don't want or can't do the .5 mile walks. Thanks for your opinion, I'll take it into consideration with the others when I make my final decision.

I can see your point there, however, this one is already on the way to the other cache, and I was thinking it would be a good thing to have it there for caching kids or others who don't want to do the longer walk. And really, cache density in the area is pretty much non-existant.

Right, but on-the-other-other-hand, you may now have enticed a geocaching family into the area with the easier cache, and the "most obsessed" geocacher in the family (every family has one) might persuade family members to seek the harder cache that they might not all be capable of doing (or enjoying.)

I can see your point there, however, this one is already on the way to the other cache, and I was thinking it would be a good thing to have it there for caching kids or others who don't want to do the longer walk.  And really, cache density in the area is pretty much non-existant.

Right, but on-the-other-other-hand, you may now have enticed a geocaching family into the area with the easier cache, and the "most obsessed" geocacher in the family (every family has one) might persuade family members to seek the harder cache that they might not all be capable of doing (or enjoying.)

Oh, yeah. Good point. I hadn't thought of it that way. :lol: