0.1 Mile? Not Quite.

Jamie Z

The next in my series of strange geocaching phenomenon is caches that are located less than 0.1 mile from one another, the current gc.com guideline.

As usual, I'm not looking for a debate, discussion about rules, or any of that rigamarole. Go complain somewhere else. This here thread is simply for examples.

My first:

123 feet.

Jamie

Edited by Jamie Z

"Ward's Island Park" and "Hellgate." (Separated by approximately 460 ft.) "Hellgate had been operational for over two years when "Ward's Island Park" appeared.

There are too many (intermediate or final) stages of multicaches within .1 of other existing caches to list.

(The edit removes information that may have been incorrect.)

Edited by Bassoon Pilot

Out of curiosity, when did that guideline go into effect?

Also I was under the impression that the stages for multis were under a little bit more leeway since those stages are often monuments, signs, or other things unlikely to be mistaken for a cache.

From my understanding, the .1 rule is a guideline that has some flexibility. 123ft is a little close, but 350 isn't too bad. Part of the reason for the .1 rule was to prevent people for mistakingly finding 1 cache while searching for another. 123ft apart, I could see that happening on a day with terrible reception

I thought that they could be closer if there was a good reason - different sides of a river, a cliff in the way - anything that would make the approaches to the cache so different that the finding of one could not be mistaken for the other. I don't know if that's the case for the mentioned caches though.

I think a few slip past the admins. Its more likely if the cache placer is one that is known to them and has a consistent track record of hides that comply with the guidelines. In these cases, the admins are less likely to investigate their submissions, particularly each stage of a multi.

Its likely that submissions from newbies and those who are constantly pushing the envelope of what is acceptable get most of the scrutiny.

I think a few slip past the admins. Its more likely if the cache placer is one that is known to them and has a consistent track record of hides that comply with the guidelines. In these cases, the admins are less likely to investigate their submissions, particularly each stage of a multi.

Its likely that submissions from newbies and those who are constantly pushing the envelope of what is acceptable get most of the scrutiny.

Also, if you have a good track record, the more likely the admins are to bend the rules a bit.

"Sixth Cents" and "Roland's Rocky Rifle Camp Cache." (Separated by perhaps 350 ft.) "Roland's" predates "Sixth" by 3 1/2 months. There is also the final stage of yet another multicache close to "Rolands." It's remarkable because all of the caches/stages are bunched into a relatively small area on the same side of the road, while more than half of the park has been ignored.

Sorry, but i feel a need to defend my cache's name. There are no stages of "Sixth Cents" within 0.1 miles of "Roland's Rocky Rifle Camp Cache" Now that other multi you mention I can not speak for.

Dave

I'm working on an exception to the 0.1 mile rule but haven't made it yet. I put my cards on the table and described the situation and was told they didn't have the ability to allow that exception.

It's 342'. 528' is a parking lot. 700 is a creek with sewer effuent in it. To one side is a river, to the other is a power sub station and the sewer plant. This spot is the best cache spot that hasn't been compromised. That's my opinion.

If there are brownie points to be had I've not seen them.

This is not quite the same, but my Mom recently found a cache when out looking for a spot to place one. The one she found had been presumed missing and archived. If she had not noticed it, she would have likely placed her own cache a few feet away from it and I imagine that confusion would have ensued! Fortunately, she spotted the other cache, rescued a poor TB from it (it had been over a year I think), wrote the cache owner, and decided not to put her cache there.

This is not quite the same, but my Mom recently found a cache when out looking for a spot to place one. The one she found had been presumed missing and archived. If she had not noticed it, she would have likely placed her own cache a few feet away from it and I imagine that confusion would have ensued! Fortunately, she spotted the other cache, rescued a poor TB from it (it had been over a year I think), wrote the cache owner, and decided not to put her cache there.

That's amazing!!!! How far was the archived cache from where it was supposed to be, or was it just hidden so well that no one could find it? Didn't the owner go out and try to confirm it was missing?

That's amazing!!!! How far was the archived cache from where it was supposed to be, or was it just hidden so well that no one could find it? Didn't the owner go out and try to confirm it was missing?

The archived one was right where it was supposed to be. Apparently the owner didn't actually go confirm that it was missing before archiving it because it was an easy hide and a reliable cacher reported it missing. The lesson is that an owner should always check!

Edit: Apparently the person who reported it missing had found it before, so it seemed reliable that it was gone.

The cache is here.

Edited by carleenp

There were two posted by the same guy in Tacoma a couple years ago...in his front yard...about 8 feet apart...and both were 'really' lame. I think that was before the fabled 0.1 mile rule, which I definitely agree with in general.

Most recently around here one was put up 300 feet from the starting point of one of my multis, and the same folks previously got one in the 'middle' between the start and finish of the same multi, about 520 feet from both. Grrrrrr........

I also remember the same thing being the subject of 'two' virtuals next door to Villanova University in PA, again, in late 2002. Almost felt bad logging them both. Almost :D

Edited by vds

Yeah, there are two here in CT like that. One was found in the open years ago and placed with another nearby so the owner could maintain it. That never happened but folks logged 'em both when they found the other. Due to peer pressure, everyone has since! (That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it--never having succumbed to peer pressure formerly in my life!)

Hehe,

Randy

PS: Seriously, I got a waiver on the 528' rule for stages of a night cache placed 300' away from a trad micro. Since the night cache stages are reflectors, no confusion/issue.

Yeah, there are two here in CT like that.  One was found in the open years ago and placed with another nearby so the owner could maintain it.  That never happened but folks logged 'em both when they found the other.  Due to peer pressure, everyone has since!  (That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it--never having succumbed to peer pressure formerly in my life!)

Well RJ, I found that cache before it was co-located. Normally, I would give you grief about the 2-for-1, but it seems my Sis is responsible for starting that trend!

-WR

Edited by WaldenRun