Boy Scouts

HELLO,

I currently work at a boy scout camp in NJ. They asked me to come up with stuff to do with the scouts with the geocaching. I was wondering if there was anyone else outthere that may have done this with boy scouts or planning on it. Please post useful infomation, or contact me at MREAGLEWO1@AOL.COM

(make sure the subject is geocaching.) Thanks. Mreaglewo1

I have contemplated introducing geocaching to my boy scouts. They are Varsity scouts (14 and 15 yrs old). I don't know if a 14 or 15 year old boy would be a good thing for geocaching... They probably would be fine with it, for the most part, but who knows? Some are resposible, some are complete knotheads.

I've about decided to just set a dozen or so 'private' geocaches for them and let them find them. It will do the same thing, but without the risk of one of the knotheads ruining someone else's cache. That's what I would recommend. I wouldn't call it geocaching either. Then, if one (or more) of them are genuinely interested in it, then you could introduce it as geocaching and point them to the website. If they have an interest, they would be more likely to be a positive element in geocaching. The ones that aren't interested will just think it's different type of orienteering game.

I have contemplated introducing geocaching to my boy scouts.....They probably would be fine with it, for the most part, but.....some are complete knotheads.

.....to just set a dozen or so 'private' geocaches for them and let them find them.....without the risk of one of the knotheads ruining someone else's cache.....wouldn't call it geocaching either..... etc.....

That is a highly responsible way to do the thing and you are to be commended for it. Very well done.

We have a very small cubscout pack here and we are introducing the kids to geocaching. We mention geocaching but most of the time refer it to treasure hunting.

The 2nd grade Wolf pack has made 3 geocaches and we are awaiting approval from the city to place the caches in the city parks and hopefully will find out next week. The groundskeeper said there would be no problem with him but it must go through the next city council meeting. They love geocaching and have always had a leader go with them. We plan on hitting geocaches on our outings now as a short stop off.

I actually made a simplified version of geocaching for the tiger cub (first graders) - they had a blast! The cache was a multicache and they started with a trash hike (their last tiger den requirement needed) then when they went to the dump the trash there was a clue on the dumpster. In order to get each clue, they had to learn a line of the cubscout promise and had to put each line together to get each of the next clues. All tiger cubs learned the Cubscout promise is approx 30 minutes which is part of the Bobcat Badge requirement. One clue had them find a benchmark and then use a code to decode the PID on the benchmark to go to the next area. Another geocache contained snacks for the kids. The final clue actually used the GPS to find their tiger cub badges. They had a great time and want to do this every meeting now! It was very fun as the last geocache every single boy walked ontop of the case and some even stood on it looking around.

We will be having our scout graduation in May and will be hiding more geocaches for the kids! By that time, there should be an actual cache placed in the park.

Yes I did put knotheads in the previous post but then deleted it when proofing the post.

Actually we have a knothead at times :tired: - I think it is more when the scout does not get his medications at the right times! We have a pretty good group of boys right now. Will be anxious to see what happens to the pack at graduation and when the new tigers start. We are only graduating 1 boy from cubscouts to boyscouts. We are getting the program turned around after quite a few years of it being neglected. We got 7 out of 9 possible boys into tiger cubs this year and they all staying in and moving onto wolves!

Ed

I think that the best way to introduce the boys to geocaching is to introduce them to orienteering, map reading, topo maps and the use of a compass. Then you can touch on how the high tech end of a GPS works with triangulation of the satalites an how to actually find any given spot on the earth. It would depend on how much in depth you go into this by the age and previous experience of the boys. I would then have a couple of caches hidden and then invite the patrol to find them. By hiding your own caches, you would be able to see how the boys like the caches to see if the patrol would enjoy finding geocaches in your area or when on a campout.

The way we found geocaching was by searching for cub scout hiking on the net and there was a link to this site. Make sure you mention CITO to the boys and taking care of the environment. It is especially important this month to the cub scouts as the April monthly theme is Cubservation which is taking care of the environment and conserving resources! Our cub scouts will be cleaning up the city park later this month as part of their Cubservation unit and I will be hiding a cache for them - probably will have snacks and the Cubservation patch.

I think that the best way to introduce the boys to geocaching is to introduce them to orienteering, map reading, topo maps and the use of a compass. Then you can touch on how the high tech end of a GPS works with triangulation of the satalites an how to actually find any given spot on the earth

The above is so true you need the basics before you can go and use a gps.

Try this course I have done

:tired:

The basics are very important especially if you are on a roughing it with your older scouts in the back woods. Depending on the conditions, GPS can not be counted on 100% of the time. Always have a manual backup plan especially when kids are involved. The GPS can get damaged while on a hike, batteries run out, too much tree cover or be completely wrong with an approching storm.

We were driving towards a cache when a storm started rolling in and the GPS said we were about 1 mile and getting closer then all of a sudden the arrow switched the other way and we were over 3 miles away going the wrong direction. If I had the map in the van I would have known we were going in the wrong direction to begin with. I just had the coordinates and started driving. Especially in this case, if you were out hiking with kids you would have to rely on your compass and map reading skills.