Enough Freakin' Ticks!!!

nikcap

My wife found one on her back this morning and apparenly it's been there since our cache hunt along the AT on Saturday. She already went through the prohylactic antibiotic treatment for Lyme last year after finding a couple of attached deer ticks. Looks like she may have to go another round.

I found my first attached tick ever last fall. 40 some years of wandering the woods and I've found maybe 4-5 ticks on my clothing...most in the past year and one attached tick, also in the past year.

Has there been an explosion in the tick population in this region of late? It seems that way.

Edited by briansnat

I can think of two cache spots where you can get more ticks just standing there for a few minutes than most people will encounter in a year of geocaching. In fact, I immediately understood why the cache container was lying completely exposed in the middle of the trail. The last visitor must have run out of there like crazy.

If you're worried about the ticks, you might want to treat your clothes with a Permethrin-based insecticide. I've noticed a significant reduction in ticks (none at all, usually) once i started doing that regularly.

If you're worried about the ticks, you might want to treat your clothes with a Permethrin-based insecticide. I've noticed a significant reduction in ticks (none at all, usually) once i started doing that regularly.

The best part about that is the Permethrin is an insecticide. When they jump on you, they die. Gives you a smug feeling of satisfaction, knowing that you are killing ticks just by walking in the woods.

One brand is Duranon. I've seen it at outdoors stores and in supermarkets. Another is SAWYER permethrin, which I've seen at Campmor. Also Repel Permanone is a permethrin based tick repellant and its fairly widely available. Remember, because permethrin is an insecticide, it should only be sprayd on your clothing. Deet is still recommend for your skin.

Edited by briansnat

4 ticks crawling, one embedded in my arm so far this year. 2 bites last year. No doctor visits yet. Shopping trip planned for deet and permethrin!!! I once found a mountain lion lounging on a rock under the power lines in my area. He got kind of mad we woke him up and loped off into the woods. My friend and I decide to follow to see where he went. Got into the cleared area under the power lines and looked down and tens and tens of deer ticks were crawling on us. We ran screaming from the area plucking them from our bodies. Mountain Lion? Here kitty kitty! Ticks? AAAUUUGGHHHH run away, run away!!!!! Kind of funny isn't it?

All my life I saw one tick, until I started getting out in the woods more. I think it's because we do a tad more bushwhacking, with this sport, than one would normally do. Ticks sit out at the end of grass fronds and branches with their little front legs just clawing at the air until something walks by and they latch right on and start crawling for the warm dark areas. Dang it all, now I'm all itchy!

Found one getting fat and happy on me yesterday. Man, I really hate ticks! So let me ask: what is the best way to remove ticks? I used my special tcket removal tool: tweezers...

I've heard you can use a lit match to get them to detach, also covering them with vasoline. I tend to think neither of these methods would work very well...

Steve

I found a tick embedded on my back when I got to work on Monday after finishing up Brian’s Hiker Series. This was kind of out of the ordinary – although the ticks seem to be attracted to my kids & Autumn, they usually leave me alone. I know there is a risk with tick bites but I just can’t live my life in a bubble. I have probably pulled hundreds of ticks off us over the years and we have been lucky so far. For most hikes we do use Repel’s Permanone tick repellent. The good thing about that is if you spray it on your shoes, vest, etc. it is supposed last for a while, as long as you don’t wash the stuff.

I've heard you can use a lit match to get them to detach, also covering them with vasoline. I tend to think neither of these methods would work very well...

I have heard bad things about the lit match thing. Supposedly when you do that they puke back into you before they detach, sending and nasties into you instead of staying in the tick. I haven't ever gotten a deer tick that I know of but dog ticks I just pull them off in a downward motion. They usually attach with body down. If you yank them fast or pull up you can leave the head in your skin.

I have heard bad things about the lit match thing. Supposedly when you do that they puke back into you before they detach, sending and nasties into you instead of staying in the tick.

Yes, this and the petroleum jelly methods are not recommended for that reason.

Tweezers and tick removal tools are the best way to get them off. You have to grab near the head and pull gently, but firmly. Its amazing how tightly those things hold on sometimes.

Best bet - use a pair of flat-tip tweezers and grab the tick's head as close as possible to the skin and pull slowly and gently back towards the tick's body. You do not want to crush the head or leave any part of the tick's head under the skin. Both can cause all kinds of problems for you! Once the tick is out put some peroxide or triple anti-biotic on the bite site. Watch the next couple of days for excessive swelling and/or discoloration. Sorry I can't help with the lyme disease symptoms to watch for. I'm not a doctor. I only play one on the GC forums! :D Seriously, I've used this technique for years and it's always worked great.

HW

Edited by kiltedcacher

I have this tick removal device that works great. It is basically a mini scoop with a "V" shaped. tappered slot in it. It can grab the tick right at the teeth and extract it without leaving anything behind. I've seen them in outdoors type stores. They are orange or green plastic and the name "TICK OFF" is embossed on the handle (the whole thing is only about 1.5" long).

Thanks everyone! I think I'll hit up a store for tick repellant. I'm just paranoid about using it on my kids. Oh well, I'll just have to be careful with it (I actually toyed with the idea of putting tick collars - the kind for dogs and cats - in their pockets while caching).

Steve

I actually toyed with the idea of putting tick collars - the kind for dogs and cats - in their pockets while caching).

Won't work. If you're worried about the repellent, use lower concentratons of DEET and just spray their clothing. have them wear light colored clothing so you can see the ticks before they attach and tuck their pants into their socks. Examine them thoroughly once you get home.

Remember that the dangers of DEET and other repellents, used as directed have never been proven. The dangers of tick and mosquito born diseases such as lyme, rocky mountain spotted fever, west nile virus, ehrlichiosis, babesiosis, relapsing fever, tick paralysis and tularemia are real, serious and potentially fatal. I'll take my chances with DEET for me and my family.

I have this tick removal device that works great. It is basically a mini scoop with a "V" shaped. tappered slot in it. It can grab the tick right at the teeth and extract it without leaving anything behind. I've seen them in outdoors type stores. They are orange or green plastic and the name "TICK OFF" is embossed on the handle (the whole thing is only about 1.5" long).

I placed a few of these in my The Ironman cache. Hey, I never pass up a chance to promote a cache :D .

Edited by briansnat

One caution about permethrin...

"...but even a few drops of concentrated permethrin could be lethal to a cat. Cats are most commonly exposed to these products through inappropriate application by their owners. The signs commonly seen with permethrin toxicity in cats include generalized tremors, muscle fasciculations, and seizures. Signs can develop within hours or may be delayed up to 48 hours."

I think ticks should be a new category in user stats but you need to classify them as crawling ticks or attached ticks.

My count for this year is 4 crawling.

I've found one crawling and two attached this year. My farm in eastern Kansas is thick with ticks. During the spring and summer months, a short (half mile) walk in the timber there will have you covered head to toe, regardless of any repellant you use. Most are the little tiny deer ticks, a handful of spotted ticks, and some odd varieties that I've only seen there. At night, on our camping trips to the farm, we amuse ourselves by lighting them on fire....they swell up, and go fffft!!! off into the night air, leaving a lovely smoke trail behind them! :lol::lol::lol:

Has anyone found a good deal on permitherin? ... The best price I get is I think $6.00 per can.

Wal-Mart sells the Repel version for $4.50 or so, look in the sporting good section. I've also seen it a Dick's and Sports Authority.

Another solution you might one to try is rose essential geranium oil.

The tick hate that stuff, they run away from it. Not a satisfying as killing the buggers, but it will make you smell pretty.