Animal Traps

This may seem a bit like teaching your granny to suck eggs, but please be careful when poking in holes for caches. We set a new one today and Andybug stuck his hand in a good hidey hole and pulled out an old trap of some description :ph34r: .Luckily it was so old it had rusted open so no harm done there, but can you imagine if it had gone off! Needless to say we took it away with us. In future we will poke a stick down a hole before our hands go in!

Are these things still legal as we were under the impression that they had been outlawed?

I am pretty sure that the old jaw traps are banned because of the potential to cause agonising injuries to animals rather than instant death. Humane traps however can be used but according to The Trap Man even some of them require licensing.

I wonder though if his tip of the day is how some cachers manage to get up so early in the morning......

"A mouse trap, placed on top of your alarm clock, will prevent you from going back to sleep"

Tiffany

Illegal Gin traps were the reason I archived my Causey Arch cache last year, Where the cache was would have been Ok , but searching for may not have been. iF i think that a cache I am looking for is in a hole or the roots of a tree, I always poke a stick in first. I had a bloke last year place a Fox snare in one of my fields, and he did cache a Vixen who had young , Reporting it was a waste of time. :ph34r: So dont anyone be suprised if I temp disable any of my caches if there are Animals bringing up a family near to the cache spot.

Nige :ph34r:

This may seem a bit like teaching your granny to suck eggs, but please be careful when poking in holes for caches. We set a new one today and Andybug stuck his hand in a good hidey hole and pulled out an old trap of some description :) .Luckily it was so old it had rusted open so no harm done there, but can you imagine if it had gone off! Needless to say we took it away with us. In future we will poke a stick down a hole before our hands go in!

Are these things still legal as we were under the impression that they had been outlawed?

"Needless to say we took it away with us. In future we will poke a stick down a hole before our hands go in!"

I believe the technical term for this is "Theft".....Trapping is a legitimate way of pest control. Removing someones property should never be condoned especially in this forum irrespective of your personal beliefs.

Legal traps are of the type called "Fenn traps" which do not have "teeth" only jaws ...

If you are caching in England , then the cache would be placed on land with the landowners permission .....does it also follow that the trap was laid with their permission ?

Hopefully those who live and work in the country won't take offence and reciprocate the "favour" by removing all those plastic boxes with Macdonalds toys.

This particular trap actually did have teeth :) . Also it was very old and rusty and placed in a tree stump on a public footpath therefore I feel quite justified in removing it and replacing it with a nice safe tuppaware box. I am sure if the rightful owner of this monstrosity really wanted it he wouldn't have left it there to rot. In future at least we will know if a trap is a legal one or not.

'I believe the technical term for this is "Theft"... ' erm - actually it's not.

How anyone could criticise another for removing a broken trap from the countryside is beyond me. Saying it's theft is not only incorrect, but also insulting.

Theft - dishonestly appropriates property belonging to another with the intention of permanently depriving the other of it

Dishonestly - Removing a rotting trap from a hole for the safety of others and then telling everyone who reads this forum that they've done it is hardly dishonest.

Appropriates - Yep, by taking the trap - Andy you have appropriated it.

Property belonging to another - Er............difficult this one. An abandoned rotting trap that has rusted open............now let me think.............is this really owned by someone? I can't really see someone rushing forward to make a statement.....

With the intention of permanently depriving the other of it - Don't really need to go into this one, as two of the above already don't fit the definition of theft......

Andy, I assure you - you can sleep safely in your bed without the worry of getting an early morning knock on the door from PC Plod. If you're at all worried, take the trap into your local police station and give it to them - telling them what you've done. You'll get praise, not your collar felt.

Flyfishermanbob, if you really think a crime has been committed, then you are moraly bound to report the matter to your local police. After giving them all the facts - let me know what they say to you. Hopefully they are polite when they 'thank you for your time'.

PS - I don't know a great deal about civil law, but I believe that accussing someone of being a thief - without justification - in this forum is possibly libel.................or is it slander? (can never remember which is which)

PPS - I've just had a spectacular thought to increase my overtime if Flyfishermanbob is correct!!!!!! Can everyone who has taken part in a Cache in Trash out day, please forward there name and address to me. Please also include a list of the trash you removed and when exactly you would like me and my mates to visit. I'm sure the local Magistrate will deal kindly with you as you have confessed your outrageous behaviour in riding our countryside of rubbish!

PPS The above views are my own and no correspondence will be entered into.

We have a friend who is a pheasant farmer, and he deals with foxes by shooting them, not nice in our eyes, but after all he is just protecting his livelyhood.

But as to traps down holes on public footpaths - we feel the right thing has been done by removing it.

At least shooting is quick and doesnt harm anything but the intended victim. Traps on private land legal or not would be down to the land owner, but it could have been anyones children or dog that could have encounted that with possibly fatal consiquences had it been armed.

Luckily it had rusted up, and no damage done to either animal or human.

Edited by The Ollies