Chicken Or The Egg

elf king

I actually fill out the approval form first, but UNCHECK the box that says "Yes, this cache is currently active (Approvers will not see this listing unless box is checked)". This allows me to be assigned a GCxxxx waypoint number that I can write on the cache and logbook. Then I go place the cache (and get the exact coords). Next, I edit the listing, putting in the proper coords and checking the box to activate it (and allow it to hit the approvers queue).

Edited by Stunod
I actually fill out the approval form first, but UNCHECK the box that says "Yes, this cache is currently active (Approvers will not see this listing unless box is checked)". This allows me to be assigned a GCxxxx waypoint number that I can write on the cache and logbook. Then I go place the cache (and get the exact coords). Next, I edit the listing, putting in the proper coords and checking the box to activate it (and allow it to hit the approvers queue).

I've started doing the same also. It saves on the second trip out to the cache to add the waypioint info. and also ensures that I've got everything set up before the cache is approved.

My first cache I submitted it first. Much to my suprise it was approved within a couple hours. :lol: I was expecting at least a full day, maybe more. Unfortunately the park is closed sunset to sunrise.

So I was up with the sun the next day running down the trail, hoping the fresh boot prints I saw in the dew did not belong to a geocacher.

If I have an idea I will be placeing a cache, we take the printer and laminator with us and do all the labels and such in the field.

I'm glad to hear someone else does this sort of thing too. Sometimes I don't really know whether or where I'll be hiding, or what I'll call it, so I have dragged the P-Touch label maker, case and all, out in the woods with me on more than one occasion.

I actually fill out the approval form first, but UNCHECK the box that says "Yes, this cache is currently active (Approvers will not see this listing unless box is checked)".  This allows me to be assigned a GCxxxx waypoint number that I can write on the cache and logbook.  Then I go place the cache (and get the exact coords).  Next, I edit the listing, putting in the proper coords and checking the box to activate it (and allow it to hit the approvers queue).

I do it that way too,

I think people that allow their cache to be approved before they even hide the cache, should be taken to an empty field and told they can't leave until they find the cache (that isn't there). Then they can get a feel for what others go through because they are careless. Hunting for a cache is fun, hunting for a cache that isn't there sux.

The "Is This Cache Active?" button should not be checked unless there is a cache hidden at the coordinates (which is what makes it active). The fact that it is checked by default, is what I think prevents most people from even realizing they are doing something wrong.

It also isn't hard to click on the map link (on your new cache description page) to see if the coordinates you entered look like the right spot. But some people don't do that either.

OK rant over :lol:

It also isn't hard to click on the map link (on your new cache description page) to see if the coordinates you entered look like the right spot. But some people don't do that either.

Brand an 'L' on my forehead. I typo-ed the North coordinate on a cache I placed the other day. Thankfully, two people realized it was wrong from the cache description and e-mailed me after they found it -- go them!

Thanks for the tip on clicking on the map to double-triple-check myself and my wandering fingers. I never thought of doing that, but I will be doing that from now on. Thanks for the nifty suggestion!