Advice Needed, Please

Pyewacket

I just learned about geocaching today, and have been reading about it all evening. As you can see from my avatar, I'm in a wheelchair. I'm a born treasure hunter, and love the idea of "the thrill of the hunt". My main concern is that, because of my chair, I may not be able to make my way to many cache locations. Are most site locations described well enough to know whether or not they will be accessible to me? My husband will most likely be with me most of the time, as the idea of geocaching appeals to him, too, schedule permitting. There may be times, though, that I venture out on my own...I try my very best to be as independent as possible (*too* independent, at times). However, the last thing I need is to be stuck in the mud (or worse, in a ditch) with a weak cell phone signal.

I don't leave my home very often; I have a weakened immune system (I have lupus) and am all too susceptible to colds, viruses, and other germs found in places with lots of people (stores, libraries, etc.). However, I love being outdoors, and geocaching may be the perfect solution to get me out of the house, weather permitting. I can't tell you how excited I am to start hunting for treasure!

I would greatly appreciate suggestions on a GPS unit (and other equipment) that will allow me to find these hidden treasures, as well as any advice you can offer an excited newbie to geocaching. Thanks in advance.

http://www.geocities.com/tee_king

Edited by Pyewacket

For GPS units, I tell lots of people they are like Fords and Chevrolets -- Garmins and Magellans are both great units for geocaching. The ones that cost more have better features such as internal maps and an internal compass. They are all very accurate no matter the cost. You pay for extra features (which are great). I like having the maps and the internal compass myself.

Virtual caches offer some great opportunities for you. Some traditional caches do too. Sometimes the descriptions will give you enough information to make a judgment call. For the more cryptic ones you may need to use the maps. If the star is close to a road you may be OK. If you know the town well you may be able to judge if the cache is in an accessible park.

Ah.. there it is. I was trying to find that link.

There should be some caches in your area that you can do. If not, you can make some more! Maybe you could start making many wheelchair accesable caches for others.

I have a Magellan Meridian Gold, and I like it a lot. The eTrex's are cool too. They are small and compact, and very popular as far as caching.

p.s. I like your GimpMobile! :unsure:

Caches rated with a terrain of 1 star are supposed to be handicap accessable. In practice, they often are not. A quick e-mail to the cache owner, or a recent finder, may help you find out if it is appropriate for you.

The basic, Garmin eTrex is a good choice for a GPS unit. It's easy to use, inexpensive and widely available. It's probably found more caches than any other unit in existence.

If you want a mapping GPS, the eTrex Legend is a good choice. It also comes with a data cable so you can dowload cache waypoints directly to your GPS. This cable is a $30 add on if you buy the basic eTrex.

Welcome, Pyewacket! (Why Pyewacket?)

I have a couple of ideas for you:

~ Post a request in the forum for your region asking if there is a local group of cachers that can advise you. "Is there anyone out there from (insert name of your city here)?"

~ Check all the logs from the caches that are the closest to you. The total number of finds for each cacher is listed next to their name. Figure out which cachers have the most finds and e-mail them through the website. They would know the real difficulty rating of the caches, and in a lot of cases would meet you somewhere to guide you on the first few.

Good luck,

RichardMoore

Edited by RichardMoore

Your van is awesome! Very cool job.

I have a Garmin eTrex Yellow. Plain, basic, straightforward to work with. It's perfect for me. I think I paid $100 at Gander Mountain Sports for it. Target has them now, for about the same price.

One of my caches is wheelchair accessible. (Rolling on the River, in Lansing MI) I had planned to make a bunch of them, but now I'm trying hard to move back home to Seattle and don't want to be making caches only to find someone to take over them in a few months :unsure: .

I found a bunch of accessible caches just by keyword searching on the main geocaching website. The link C of D posted is really good.

Thanks to all of you for the advice, suggestions, links, kind words, emails, and signing the guest book on my web page. I appreciate your compliments on my Rockoons and the GimpMobile. Alas, the GimpMobile decided she'd seen enough miles right after I finished refurbishing the inside...her "get-up-and-go" got up and went. I do have another van, but it will never replace the GimpMobile; she was one of a kind and will forever live in my heart...Rust in peace, old gal. <_< </sappy-sentimentality>

I ordered a brand new, factory-sealed basic Garmin eTrex for $35.00 less than retail...you see, I really *am* an accomplished treasure hunter. :D I'll use the eTrex as is without a PC cable or other accessories at first, and determine what else I might need later. It should arrive by next weekend, and if the weather is nice, I plan to seek my first cache. There seem to be plenty in my local area, and a few are virtual caches; they may be easier for me both accessibility-wise and for learning the ropes.

Thanks again, peeps...I look forwarding to both reading more of your posts and writing about my finds in the near future.

Edited by Pyewacket

It may be difficult to tell ahead of time whether a trail cache will be accessible; I've seen some with one star for terrain that nonetheless would stop a wheelchair in its tracks. If you are familiar with your local parks that may help you judge, and you can always ask the cache owner if you're not sure (and if you're patient enough to plan that far ahead!). Many urban caches should be accessible; you might sometimes need assistance with the actual retrieval, but not always. Virtuals are highly likely to be do-able, but I find the micros more fun.

Caches rated with a terrain of 1 star are supposed to be handicap accessable. In practice, they often are not. A quick e-mail to the cache owner, or a recent finder, may help you find out if it is appropriate for you.

Best advice here. Contact the cache owner to see if there are any curbs to cross. I always rate my "handicapped" caches with one star and also make certain there is a little icon on the page to let people know what it's about.

Enjoy, you'll have a great time.

I believe WebScouter is referring to my "Rockoons"; raccoons painted on rocks. A picture is available on my web page (http://www.geocities.com/tee_king/teebio.htm).

"Pyewacket" is the name of a familiar (a witch's companion; in this case, a cat) from the Jimmy Stewart/Kim Novak movie, "Bell, Book and Candle". Eek! My age is showing! :D

i have that movie and i love it. i watch it a couple times a year. don't worry about the age. i am 48. <_<

I am new here.....only seven hunts. Atleast three of them would have been wheelchair friendly. I would not have known that from the descriptions of the site. I agree with the above advice; try contacting the owner or a recent finder and ask them. I think you will find everyone here to be friendly and helpful.

See you on the trails !