Magellan Gps 315

Well, I've been playing with it a bit this evening, and I'm having some problems. They may be related to the fact that this is the first time I've ever used a GPSr, but I'm not sure.

First and foremost, my compass does not seem to be updating. I can stand in one place and turn slowly, and the compass will continue to point the same direction. In fact, I had it pointing south and left it pointing north for quite a few minutes with the compass heading never changing. I seem to be getting accurate coordinates for my position, but I can't seem to be getting an accurate heading.

Is this normal? Should the compass only update irregularly? The manual is less than helpful in almost every way . . .

Edited by benhamtroll

Compass only updates on movement.

I still use a 315 as my primary unit and with over 1200 finds I can truthfully tell you that you don't need anything more to find caches.

As for price, $100 is too much. I bought mine new from FRYs Electronic for under $100 over 2 years ago and it came with the data cable.

As for a realilistic price I really don't know. Check on the web.

Team Sand Dollar

Hmmmm . . . I've been checking online, and most of the 315 models I've found are running in the $130 range. You say you found it a Fry's? I may have to check.

It's running 3.14. Looks like 3.15 is the latest version, which says it drops the speed down to .2 meters per second. I'm not sure how fast that is, but it sounds like a slow walk. I may take this one in the car and see what it does, since I won't be able to upgrade until I can get it into work and a PC.

How long does it usually take for the 315 to figure out where everything is and get rolling?

I have a 320 which basically the same unit, and I have found no problems with it. One step will update the direction pointer. However, it isn't a compass and shouldn't used as one. Buy a $5 compass if you need one.

You need to understand that GPS works best when you are standing still, so moving to get the direction pointer working is counter productive.

My technique is to use the pointer until I get to about 40-60 feet and then stand still. The distance will then normally count down over a few seconds to less than 20 feet wit han estimated wror of 6 feet or less as the unit averages posiiton etc. I once had an EE of 6 feet and a distance of 7 feet as I stood over a cache.

As for time, the first lock ever (or after a reset) will take a few minutes, but after that, 10 seconds to three minutes depending on how far you have moved and how clear the sky seems usual. In the car I usualy get a lock in under minute from switching on when driving.

I have been using the 315 for 5 or 6 day a week for a few years now and it works flawlessly. My co workers all use Garmins 12, 76's and Rino's, however I would not trade any of them. I had to pay $50.00 for a data cable and wait a couple of months from crappie tire. It must of came by way of dog sled. If your not after a base map this unit works very well. Don't go in the woods with out a compass .... happens.

Edited by mfrs2000
Well, I've been playing with it a bit this evening, and I'm having some problems. They may be related to the fact that this is the first time I've ever used a GPSr, but I'm not sure.

First and foremost, my compass does not seem to be updating. I can stand in one place and turn slowly, and the compass will continue to point the same direction. In fact, I had it pointing south and left it pointing north for quite a few minutes with the compass heading never changing. I seem to be getting accurate coordinates for my position, but I can't seem to be getting an accurate heading.

Is this normal? Should the compass only update irregularly? The manual is less than helpful in almost every way . . .

the compass isnt a compass. it is only a direction guide. if you want you direction when stopped align the sun/moon icons on the compass screen with the sun/moon and you now have your direction.

as for the manual, magellan has a convalouted menu/help system that once you understand it all is good. weve knocked our around to the point of abuse and havent had any issues yet, as a basic unit it is as good as any.

Hmmmm . . . I've been checking online, and most of the 315 models I've found are running in the $130 range. You say you found it a Fry's? I may have to check.

It's running 3.14. Looks like 3.15 is the latest version, which says it drops the speed down to .2 meters per second. I'm not sure how fast that is, but it sounds like a slow walk. I may take this one in the car and see what it does, since I won't be able to upgrade until I can get it into work and a PC.

How long does it usually take for the 315 to figure out where everything is and get rolling?

OK the 3.14 is the old slow version. It's free to upgrade but that makes this unit at least 3 or 4 years old. I wouldn't pay more than half of what it cost new and that would be about 65 bucks.

It should take less than a minute to get rolling if it has good signals.

This is normal. Just like the "ETE" has no indication. When you are not moving, there are many readings that will not show anything. How can the GPS indicate which direction you are moving if you are not moving. Once you start moving and the GPS detects the movement...you will get speed, bearing, ETE etc.

We used a 315 for something like 300 plus caches until I got a good buy on a map 330.

Along with the 315, you will need to locate a cable.

The cable will let you use the computer to upload updates plus upload cache numbers from the web using easygps.

Which will save a lot of button punching and mispunch mistakes.

Also, I would suggest getting a good map program like NG TOPO! so you can download your track to it and you can also download cache points to the gpsr from the web then download those waypoints to the map and plot out a route from cache to cache.

But one stepat a time I guess. Learn the 315 in and out the step up to the next level.

logscaler.

I just got a used 315

look for the general Magellin tips / threads here in the Forums.

I found that it would be off furhter than I was expecting due to the way Mag 'average'

by slowing down, turning off/on the unit I am getting results that I would expect.

Just 2 data points but +/- 10ft in the open, +/-20 in cover. The manual is on their web site in PDF format, if you need that. It says +/- 15 meters (50ft)

I'd recommend going somewhere open, like a baseball field, and then walking the paths to practice with creating marks, waypoints, routes.

Check to see if you need to update

http://www.magellangps.com/en/support/prod...rade_gps315.asp

Yup, the 315 is a good solid unit, with good accuracy. I used one for a long time, even before I started geocaching, and before SA was turned off. Mine finally died, too many miles vibrating on my ATC handlebars, I guess, and I got a SporTrak Pro. I love my ST Pro, but still have a soft spot in my heart for the 315.

As Dave and Jaime posted, when standing still, just line up the sun/moon icon on the screen with the sun/moon in the sky, and the "compass" screen is now oriented correctly. This is called the "northfinder" feature, and all Magellans have it. It's so handy that it amazes me that Garmin refuses to add this simple feature to any of their units. It nearly eliminates the need to carry/use a separate compass. Although I carry a decent compass with me just in case, I've never had to pull it out and use it, because of Magellan's "northfinder" feature.

I have all the GPS 315 stuff available:

GPS is like new

Soft carry case

Original Box and instructions

Combo Cigarette adaptor and Data cable

Make offer, and I can sell

I have the Map76S that has simular features to the GPS 315, that aren't in my other garmin units, like the Course UP feature on the map page of the 76S.

I had fun using the 315, but I need to sell.

Geoff