My very first Geocache Rant....

JamesJM

I am SOOOOOOOOO proud.

First...to become a 'top-notch' geocacher you have to be Sir Isaac Newton. The amount of programs you must possess...(not ONE of them can you figure out what it actually does), numbers as the stars in the heavens. This one does this, that one does that, but THIS one does a little of This but not that while the other does a lot of that but is woefully lacking in the this department.

Whatever it does one thing is absolutely certain....your configuration will NOT work on your computer-PDA-GPS. Similar to Murphy's law but with far more dire consequences. My suggestion....several Paxils before you begin the process, or better yet.....an entire case of Guiness so that you completely give up the quest.

There are more 3 letter file extensions for geocaching that there are molecules in the universe...did you know that? It's a fact.

There are also people who know what every single one of them mean and how they relate to each other. <whew> Kind of reminds me that there are also people who can walk on hot coals and not get burned, I will NEVER be one of them.

SECOND - didn't think I'd get to it did ya?

Jeremy. I belong to umpteen boards....on NONE of them does the administrator read messages on the BBS portion of the site, much LESS answer the messages. Jeremy is like weird. He doesn't even use an alias. "Lord Jeremiah"...or "High Priest of the Cacheicans".

And his pic is disturbing.....that quizzical pensive expression reminiscent of your third grade teacher deciding what punishment to give you for sharing a what you thought well timed bi-labial fricative with your classroom friend in the next row. Scary.

Well, it wasn't much of a rant, was it? I'm much better with telemarketers. But it was a start. - JamesJM

[This message was edited by JamesJM on August 20, 2003 at 02:33 PM.]

quote:
Originally posted by Bull Moose:

I always wonder if Jeremy's picture is supposed to be a tribute to the Bruce Campbell character on Hercules/Xena.

Why do any of us have the avatar that we have ?

We are absent minded, get lost on the way to a cache and are always checking off directions with each other..... hence our childhood 'professor', Cuthbert Calculus from the TinTin books.

What's your story ?....... (and yours Jeremy?)

Andy and Dawn

(Where did all this wine come from ?)

quote:
Originally posted by JamesJM:

I am SOOOOOOOOO proud.

First...to become a 'top-notch' geocacher you have to be Sir Isaac Newton.

That is false. Assuming everyone on the (former) Top 25 Leaderboard qualifies as a 'top-notch' geocacher, I was a regular on the Leaderboard for most its existence, and I don't use any "add-ons." Just give me a printout and a gps.

" bi-labial fricative "?

Definition: [n] a consonant that is articulated using both lips; /p/ or /b/ or /w/

[adj] of or relating to or being a speech sound that is articulated using both lips; "bilabial fricatives"

See Also: labial, labial, labial consonant

FRICATIVE

Pronunciation: 'frikutiv

Matching Terms: fricative consonant

WordNet Dictionary

Definition: [n] a continuant consonant produced by breath moving against a narrowing of the vocal tract

[adj] produced by forcing air through a constricted passage (as `f'. `s', `z', or `th' (in both `thin' and `then'))

Synonyms: fricative consonant, sibilant, soft, spirant, spirant

See Also: continuant, continuant consonant

--------------------------------------------------

Black holes are where God divided by zero.