How's The Found Caches Pocket Query Coming Along?

Marky

Now that we have a new Pocket Query page, I was wondering how the special "caches I have found" query is coming along. There are a lot of cachers with over 500 finds now that would (probably) love to be able to get a .gpx file with all their finds so they could play with it.

--Marky

There is a particularly nasty little bug in the generator right now that restricts the speed it can run. As a result we're limiting the number of new features until we can get them to run faster.

Fortunately they are running 2-3x faster with the current changes, but we can get them even faster once this bug is figured out. After that we will look into this pocket query as well as an owned cache feature that includes all the cache logs, not just the last 5.

You can already do Pocket Queries for found caches (except archived)

If you have fewer than 500 finds, just select the country/countries you have cached in (US is listed as a country now) and also select caches "I have found".

If you have more than 500 finds, you can select fewer countries (or states) for each PQ. (Suppose you have 400 finds in CA and 250 in AZ, make one PQ for each state)

...just select the country/countries you have cached in (US is listed as a country now) ...

That was the first thing I looked for, and I can't find it in the countries list that I see on the PQ page. American Samoa, US Minor Outlying Islands, US Virgin Islands, check. Or maybe it's that one labeled "Unknown"? Sax, where is it on your countries drop-down? Thanks.

Steve

I think someone asked before, will the found PQ be able to include your log? That might be pretty cool.

Actually, all your logs are now appended to each cache you request that has one of your logs. Someone didn't like that so I'll add an option to turn that feature off.

...just select the country/countries you have cached in (US is listed as a country now) ...

That was the first thing I looked for, and I can't find it in the countries list that I see on the PQ page. American Samoa, US Minor Outlying Islands, US Virgin Islands, check. Or maybe it's that one labeled "Unknown"? Sax, where is it on your countries drop-down? Thanks.

Steve

Whoops! Sorry, someone else had said that earlier today and I hadn't actually checked it out for myself.

To select "all states", click "States/Provinces" then click on Alabama. Scroll to the bottom of the list, hold the shift button and click "Yukon Territory". This will give you the all of the United States and Canada. (You can just select individual states, but unless you have over 500 finds there is no need and it takes extra time)

I think someone asked before, will the found PQ be able to include your log? That might be pretty cool.

Actually, all your logs are now appended to each cache you request that has one of your logs. Someone didn't like that so I'll add an option to turn that feature off.

I hope the default option will be to have it off. It makes the GPX files bigger, and it's not something most people will want to get every GPX file.

Also, why do all these additional logs have waypoint tags in them?

Edited by Prime Suspect

If you have fewer than 500 finds, just select the country/countries you have cached in (US is listed as a country now) and also select caches "I have found".

If you have more than 500 finds, you can select fewer countries (or states) for each PQ. (Suppose you have 400 finds in CA and 250 in AZ, make one PQ for each state)

I have over 2000 finds in Calif alone, with no reasonable way to filter them down to groups of 500. I like the sound of Jeremy's solution. :rolleyes:

--Marky

I have over 2000 finds in Calif alone, with no reasonable way to filter them down to groups of 500. I like the sound of Jeremy's solution. <_<

--Marky

Yet another disadvantage of living in California :rolleyes:

I have over 2000 finds in Calif alone, with no reasonable way to filter them down to groups of 500. I like the sound of Jeremy's solution. :P

--Marky

I'd like to be able to occasionally do a query for all found caches everywhere and also for all Not Found in a particular state. Last summer when I was looking for some way to gather all caches for particular states I was travelling thru, someone(BruceS I believe) suggested using the 'Placed During' search filter along with the 'State' Filter.

I recently used the same method to pull my found caches(currently about 830).

I did three queries, selected all states(and other provinces, etc) and split the querys by date placed.

First query is for all placed between 1/1/98 and 12/31/02

Second query is for all placed between 1/1/03 and 8/30/03

Third query is for all placed between 9/1/03 and 12/31/04

Putting the three together I got just a about all of my caches. I just noticed there are about 20 missing. I'll have to see which disappeared and why. I suspect it may have something to do with locationless caches that originated outside the US or something like that.

This method worked fairly painlessly for my found caches and also very well for gathering all caches in a particular state.

That had something to do with it.

Did queries for found caches show archived caches at one time.

It appears I have some found cache queries from early December that must have included the archived caches.

It appears the most recent(today) queries do not include the archived.

I believe I have accounting for all 834 cache logs now. I appended new queries to the older ones an everything seems to be there. I'd better back this up before I lose it.

Backup - What's Backup!

I just noticed this today. I was very confused at first, but I'm very happy about it! Thanks!

I'm okay with the default being off if many people aren't liking it. Just please don't get rid of it.

I'm with Marky - I'd really like to see a query option that returns ALL found caches, sans limit (yes, I understand the technical implications of this, but... that doesn't mean I can't want it!). Most important, for me, would be the ability to include archived caches. I had gone through the process of identifying all the ones that were missing from my queries, and grab .loc files for those caches, ultimately building a full list (in Utopia - a most excellent tool -- THANKS Prime Suspect!). Unfortunately, I just lost my HD in my laptop... and this file along with it :D

So, let me just cast my vote for "adding archived caches" (as a toggle - wouldn't have to, or even want it to be the default) to pocket queries.

Keep up the great work!

Billy

To spead up the found pocket query you could make it an on or off feature for paying members. If they do not have any configuration or choice then it seems that generating the gpx file should be pretty fast. The current queries have so many parameters that I am sure that it is hard to tune the code.

Of course the suggesting is not to speed up getting the query in our hands, just to speed up the query :)

I have made several pocket querys, and noticed I get some and I dont' get some. I wait for a day and sometimes I get my guerys and sometimes I dont', and its a bummer when I don't get the ones I need when going on a trip. I sometimes have it generate 500 wihtin such n such area, but hardly get those. whats with this thing? is there still some bugs? I have 2 queries that say they run every day and I only get one of them....any help would be apprecaited

I get some of the queries, but not all of them, I run my own mail server so I have a spam filter but I am assuming that the Groundspeak servers wouldn't be filtered. my mail boxes have an unlimited ssize to them so it makes not a difference in size.....I have tried reducing the # of caches queried. but still no go.....

Is the query running but you're not receiving it? Or is it not even running on the day you want it to?

Is it possibly getting stuck in a spam filter somewhere? Is your ISP rejecting it because its too big or your email box is over quota?

ok my query "new in san diego once a week" just came in, none of the others I do have come in yet.....its been days....

DOH! :D

I just did something stupid (make that two things) and wiped out my "found caches" database in GSAK. After all that work, pulling down all the .loc files, manually adding some of the data back in, etc. The process will definitely be streamlined now, as I'm going to go grab .gpx versions of all the archived caches, but...

With over 500 finds in CA now - I've done the math, and it looks like I'm still going to be missing some. I can't think of a good way to "slice them" to get them into smaller groups - perhaps by date hidden? If I could sort by date I found, that might work, but...

What I would really, Really, REALLY love, is a single query that returns all my finds. Okay - it doesn't even have to be all of them - just all of them in a given state? Regardless of archived status, availability, etc. I understand the increased query processing time and resources - just hoping Jeremy and friends can find a way to make it happen. To protect me from my own stupidity, as it were... :D

Thanks for any status update on this much-desired query!

Have a great evening,

Billy

(aka SnoWake)

There is a particularly nasty little bug in the generator right now that restricts the speed it can run. As a result we're limiting the number of new features until we can get them to run faster.

Fortunately they are running 2-3x faster with the current changes, but we can get them even faster once this bug is figured out. After that we will look into this pocket query as well as an owned cache feature that includes all the cache logs, not just the last 5.

:o I just saw this thread,I am a programmer and my best skill set is in debugging. What language is the codebase?