Multi-cache With Questions??has It Been Done??

i was thinking about starting a"new" kind of multi but before i go announcing a new way i want to be sure it's not one of these..... "Nobody can be so amusingly arrogant as a young man who has just discovered an old idea and thinks it is his own. "....anyhow this is how it would go...coord would lead you to a mini which would have a question in it about geocaching..if you answered the question right you go to the next stage...if you get it wrong you go to another mini that will tell you your wrong and give you another question..after three wrongs on the first leg you would get a mulligan..the same thing thru a three chache multi???sound off the wall or fun???

this would be the way it would go....once you get to the first mini you would get a question about caching like this.................can you dig a hole in the ground on public property to hide a cache??? yes go to these coords if no go to these coords..the no coords would be to the 2nd stage where you would read wtg you got that right with the gc.com rule written down.and there would be the 2nd question....if you went to the yes you would get an i am sorry but no you cant and the rules would be there as well with a backup question with the same results but...after you have got three wrong you would be told your wrong and the wright answer would be there and then it would say but here is how to get to the 2nd cache..if nothing else it would inform the cachers of caching rules and other fun facts about caching.i would really like the advise of a moderator or approver on this topic as well.ty in advance

Are you talking like those 'choose your own adventure' books, but with small caches instead of numbered pages?

Ie.

What is the population of china?

a) 50 people - go to N52 54.324 W2 23.653

B) 200 people - go to N52 57.434 W2 54.431

c) 10M people - go to N51 58.125 W3 01.456

That sort of thing?

Certainly sounds interesting. Have you studied finite state automata, by any chance?

Edited by stu_and_sarah

I almost did this and had it all planned out but what discouraged me was finding 32 unmuggleable spots to hide the containers near me. I was afraid one of the legs was going to get lost and just as I was able to replace it anotherone would go. However if you could find good safe hiding spots I think it would be a great cache. You might want to make at least some of the questions hard so the cachers can brag to each other in the logs about who did it in the least amount of stages... lightheartedly of course

I almost did this and had it all planned out but what discouraged me was finding 32 unmuggleable spots to hide the containers near me.

Instead of using small containers at each stage, why not use small laminated cards, not much larger than business cards. Those should be easier to hide, or in case they get lost, easier to replace.

edit: spelling

Edited by lizzzard

wow i wasnt even thinking about those books but yes and no to the answer this would bring all cachers to the final ending the books have differend endings.i think pnew is on my train tho..yes the questions at the first stage would be very hard if you missed the first the 2nd chance would be easier.the third would be like the one i told in the forum.and yes i live in paoli indiana and we have more forest and woods on public and state land than a little.and trailheads ...wow i didnt know we had so many areas to roam in this state.pnew since you figured this all out b-4 why dont you help me with this idea and we can list it as a co-owned cache.maybe i can co=own one with you in your area..???sound like a winner???

I considered doing a psychic cache similar to this. The first cache would give you three sets of coords and it would state that "I know which one you're going to choose." Sure enough the cacher picks one and when they get there the cache says "See! I was right" and gives you another three sets to choose from. Eventually you make it to the cache.

I didn't do it because I figured that most cachers weren't that dumb. I like your idea better.

i was thinking about starting a"new" kind of multi but before i go announcing a new way i want to be sure it's not one of these..... "Nobody can be so amusingly arrogant as a young man who has just discovered an old idea and thinks it is his own. "....anyhow this is how it would go...coord would lead you to a mini which would have a question in it about geocaching..if you answered the question right you go to the next stage...if you get it wrong you go to another mini that will tell you your wrong and give you another question..after three wrongs on the first leg you would get a mulligan..the same thing thru a three chache multi???sound off the wall or fun???

It's been done....well the questions weren't about geocaching, but the concept is the same. It's a great idea and I wouldn't mind seeing more of them.

Here's one that sounds a lot like what you are proposing.

Sounds like fun...go for it!

Unlucky Seven is exactly that type of cache except with questions concerning GPS technology. If you answer the questions correctly, there are fewer steps to the final. The "wrong-answer-penalty-steps" lead you to the next question just like the correct answer. So for each wrong answer, you have one additional step to hunt for.

These are all along a Rails-to-Trails trail. You can do it with about a 1.2 mile hike if you get them all right (guesstimate), or longer (maybe 2.5?) if you get them all wrong.

Let me start out by saying that I found this forum because I was looking for help on a cache in Paoli, WI. . . and let me now say that I would be willing to travel to Paoli Indiana on a road trip if you actually did do one of these types of caches. It sounds like a blast. . . and a perfect set up for a day trip. Also, if you ever consider it, you might want to work this into some type of event. . . to bring people into the area.

This sounds like a great idea and I have the perfect park to do it in. A couple of questions though.

1. Would this be listed as a Multi or a Puzzle?

2. Would the intermediate caches be entered as "answer to a question?

3. Could the starting co-ords, the intermediate caches and final cache be within 528ft of each other?

4. Since the OP is more than a few years old, has anyone done this and how did it work out?

OK I know that was more than a couple questions, but I really want to try this.

Thanks