Geko 201

Stormchild

I use a Geko 201 too. I'd be happy to help, feel free to email me via my profile. I can't claim to be an expert at using all the features, though I've at least played with most of them. The best way to learn the features is to get out there and use it! One thing to rememeber about the Geko is to carry extra AAAs - it goes through batteries pretty quickly.

I've had one of these puppies since August. The top two tips I have are...

1. Put a guard around the power button.

Believe everything you may have heard about these things turning on easily. If you have one of the earlier versions that doesn't have a raised ridge around the power button, it's not so hard to fix. I just found a small rubber o-ring that fits around the button. I cut out about a portion of the ring (so it looked like a "C"); then I super-glued it on around the power button.

2. Learn how to use tracks and how to track-back. Start logging your track when you leave your car on the way to a cache. Save the track once you find the cache. Then you'll have the option of navigating back to the car from your current location (useful for finding the right trail turnoffs in case you don't quite remember).

You'll need a cable, which wasn't included in the kit. Don't buy one from Garmin for $30; go to pfranc.com and get a cheaper one. Better yet, just order the connecters and cannibalize an old serial mouse. With basic soldering skills (and a wiring diagram from the internet), you can make your own cable.

HTH,

Le Chat Noir

You'll need a cable, which wasn't included in the kit. Don't buy one from Garmin for $30; go to pfranc.com and get a cheaper one. Better yet, just order the connecters and cannibalize an old serial mouse.

Nah, go to GPSGEEK. I think total cost including S/H is less then $15. I have one and it's fine.

Otherwise I fully agree with LeChatNoir's advice.

One last thing. Go to Garmin's website and download the latest firmware. The latest is version 2.40 issued Nov 7. That's recent enough that even a just perched unit may not have that loaded.

To fix the power switch problem I just used a glue gun, and placed a bit over the switch.

When it dries, it gives you a re-enforced button. You actually want a fairly thin layer, or it will be very hard to press.

If it dosen't turn out the way you want it, let it dry, and then just pop it off and try again.

Here's what mine looks like.

gekofix.jpg

eats AAAs like popcorn

My second advice is to get some rechargeable batteries. At least two sets. The unit works better when it has lots of "on" time to gather information. With rechargeable batteries, you don't worry about running them down.

It also minimized the agony of fining that you'd drained a set because of an accidental power-on.

To fix the power switch problem I just used a glue gun, and placed a bit over the switch.

When it dries, it gives you a re-enforced button.  You actually want a fairly thin layer, or it will be very hard to press. 

If it dosen't turn out the way you want it, let it dry, and then just pop it off and try again.

Here's what mine looks like.

gekofix.jpg

Garmin have already solved that problem so you do not need to hotglue gun any thing.

Edited by geko 201
Garmin have already solved that problem so you do not need to hotglue gun any thing.

OK I've looked around for how they fixed it, but didn't find anything, can you explain how they fixed it please?

I've been told that they added a ridge to protect the button. They may have also added a requirement to hold the button down for a bit. The original Geko (which I have) will come on with only a very brief tap. Neither of these changes would warrant changing the manual.

i just got mine and there is no ridge on it i was thinking of how i am going to overcome this obsticle and was thinking of getting a piece of rubber o ring or something like it and just glueing it on there but the hot glue thing sounds pretty good i may have to try it if i can find a hot glue gun somewhere thanks for the tips

sc

I have a Gecko 301 on order and it is supposed to be in hand around January 20. Since the 301 is similar to the 201 I thought I would get some quick tips.

I am greatly appreciative of the power on issue and will see if there has been a fix on the latest and greatest.

I also appreciated the cable link...however I bought a garmin cable but got it a discount house...still paid too much compared to GPSGeek....

Thanks for all the good advice!

CG

For those of you already using the Geko 201, do you have much trouble using it in tree cover? I have a chance to get a Geko free of charge and I'm hoping it will work ok for geocaching here in Colorado. I checked it out on epinions.com and a couple people said it will not work under even moderate tree cover. Thanks!

For those of you already using the Geko 201, do you have much trouble using it in tree cover? I have a chance to get a Geko free of charge and I'm hoping it will work ok for geocaching here in Colorado. I checked it out on epinions.com and a couple people said it will not work under even moderate tree cover. Thanks!

From personal experience I've only had trouble holding a lock under dense tree cover twice and that was in the same forest area. I'm fairly certain it was overcast those two times as well.

I did eventually find all of the caches I was after that day, it just took a bit more walking and a LOT more bushwhacking than I was expecting!

I've never paid much more attention to the tree cover I've been in since those times, but I can't remember any other time that I've had that much trouble either.

The bottom line is, I can't blame the 201 for any of my DNFs. Most of the caches I couldn't find either went missing and I found out later or I just didn't search hard enough and found it on my 2nd, 3rd, or 4th return visit.

i just got mine and there is no ridge on it i was thinking of how i am going to overcome this obsticle and was thinking of getting a piece of rubber o ring or something like it and just glueing it on there but the hot glue thing sounds pretty good i may have to try it if i can find a hot glue gun somewhere thanks for the tips

sc

A friend of mine had an early Motorola FRS radio that had a similar problem. He sliced the button down flush with the surrounding area, using a razor blade. Worked great, looked like crap though.

From personal experience I've only had trouble holding a lock under dense tree cover twice and that was in the same forest area. I'm fairly certain it was overcast those two times as well.

There could be a lot of factors affecting that. Being at the low point between mountains can be an issue--we have a spot or two like that in a large park here in MD. Even the "superior" Magellans have a hard time getting a lock.

In our case, the Geko seems to work better under cover than the eTrex Vista. Between the two, we are pretty well covered for most situations.

I have been using a Geko 201 since June 2003. I have found that battery life for the 201 seems to depend on how often you change the display and which functions you use. In the “GOTO” mode I have drained a new set of batteries in less than 1½ hours, however when left in the same simple display mode without “GOTO” I have had batteries last for 4-6 hours of constant use.

I agree on the need to guard the power and function buttons. I placed mine, powered off, in a zippered pouch of a folding notebook I was carrying and two hours later found that the power was on and I had unknowingly changed the screen contrast to where it was totally black and set 50+ waypoints.

Buy good batteries on sale in bulk, keep your thumb off the display button and realize that sometimes it's better to think than blindly follow an arrow and you'll do fine!

Edited by greengecko
For those of you already using the Geko 201, do you have much trouble using it in tree cover? I have a chance to get a Geko free of charge and I'm hoping it will work ok for geocaching here in Colorado.

I've had problems under some fairly heavy cover here in a tropical zone. You may not have as much problem in a dry climate like CO. If you can get one for free grab it and find out for yourself.

In our case, the Geko seems to work better under cover than the eTrex Vista. Between the two, we are pretty well covered for most situations.

Ditto to that! Bought 2 Geko's for my boys and both units seem to lock faster and hold lock better in cover than my Vista. We do a fair amount of hiking and skiing and the Geko's have really impressed me.

Just curious, how many folks use the Garmin Maps to set routes and waypoints and then upload into their Gecko? Has this been successful for you? What have the drwabacks been?

I am working on a couple of long distance bicycle trips, which includes some geocaching, by developing a route and setting the waypoints on Mapsource TOPO which I will upload into my Gecko.

CG

Edited by CycleGuy
I was unable to get a lock of any sort in London, I'm assuming due to all the buildings. Can anyone else comment on this?

From time to time you may have problems if the sats are not in a good configuration or if the buildings limit the amount of sky you can see. Not sure why it would be a problem over an extended time. I could see why WAAS might have a problem, but you should have basic lock.

Also, the first time you start up you have to let the unit gather enough data - not to mention figuring out that it's now thousand of miles away from the last place it was used. Again, start-up problems but should be normal afterward.