Snow Mobiles In Yellowstone And Other N.ps

jollybgood

Snowmobiling has been allowed in much of Yellowstone and other national parks for many years. The NPS tried to ban them in 2001, but were sued by the snowmobile mfrs. so the ban was never implemented. Last I heard they were developing a plan to restrict their use. Here is one article.

Odd, that geocaching is banned, but they allow vehicles that their own environmental impact study said were detrimental to the park. You're right though, a strong lobby can work wonders.

Edited by briansnat
o.k. got it... snowmobiling good, geocaching bad

Not just that. In national parks:

building concession stands, roads and parking lots good, geocaching bad.

Camping good, geocaching bad.

Horseback riding good, geocaching bad.

And best of all...

Mining good, geocaching bad.

Edited by briansnat
I was speaking with a doctor who works near Yellowstone and she was telling me that one of the problems they run into in CO poisoning from people who are out in the "fresh air" on their snowmobiles. :D

I have yet to hear of a geocacher being poisoned by a cache.

I know it can't be good. When I am riding it feels as if the exhaust is pumping directy into my helmet. The smell of gas and exhaust stays with you for hours.

If I recall the conversation correctly, the problem was that the CO tended to stay in the low areas and it was not just snowmobilers that had a problem. I'm sure someone may tell us that CO won't do that, but that is how I remember the situation. It was last August and not something that concerns me much if at all since I don't snowmobile and I have never been to Yellowstone, let alone in the winter. It is on my list of places to go, I just haven't been there yet.

1. CO is heavier than air, so it settles into low areas, thus hikers, campers, little kids playing it the snow have problems.

2. Only the NPS could justify their bizarre thought patterns regarding geocaching versus all the other things they allow. Maybe we should start hiding ammo so the NRA would back us up? :D

CO is heavier than air, so it settles into low areas, thus hikers, campers, little kids playing it the snow have problems.

CO is not heavier than air. Actually it mixes in with the air rather well. It's a killer, make sure you get your furnace checked every year. Small problems can turn into bigger ones fast, and there is no way to detect CO with your body until it is too late.

Like many laws or policies, this one was put into place by someone with little understanding of what they are talking about. The following is from the CHATTAHOOCHEE RIVER NATIONAL RECREATION AREA'S CODE OF FEDERAL REGULATIONS

(a)(1) Geocaching Games – Geocaches typically are hidden in natural areas or archeological sites. The object of this game is to locate well-hidden caches that may be buried. This game encourages participants to move off trail that leads to vegetative damage and erosion problems. Digging disturbs park resources and damages archeological sites. This activity can be alarming to bystanders who misidentify the individuals when they observe participants hiding or acting in a suspicious manner to avoid detection. Organizers of this type of activity are known to hold events in the park without prior approval or any attempt to obtain a Special Use Permit.

I've never seen so much misinformation in one place :D :D :D

Like many laws or policies, this one was put into place by someone with little understanding of what they are talking about. The following is from the CHATTAHOOCHEE RIVER NATIONAL RECREATION AREA'S CODE OF FEDERAL REGULATIONS
(a)(1) Geocaching Games – Geocaches typically are hidden in natural areas or archeological sites. The object of this game is to locate well-hidden caches that may be buried. This game encourages participants to move off trail that leads to vegetative damage and erosion problems. Digging disturbs park resources and damages archeological sites. This activity can be alarming to bystanders who misidentify the individuals when they observe participants hiding or acting in a suspicious manner to avoid detection. Organizers of this type of activity are known to hold events in the park without prior approval or any attempt to obtain a Special Use Permit.

I've never seen so much misinformation in one place :D :D B)

:D:D:D

Hey, just watch CNN, you'd be used to it!!!!!

LOL.

:D:D:D:D:D

a)(1) Geocaching Games – Geocaches typically are hidden in natural areas or archeological sites. The object of this game is to locate well-hidden caches that may be buried. This game encourages participants to move off trail that leads to vegetative damage and erosion problems. Digging disturbs park resources and damages archeological sites. This activity can be alarming to bystanders who misidentify the individuals when they observe participants hiding or acting in a suspicious manner to avoid detection. Organizers of this type of activity are known to hold events in the park without prior approval or any attempt to obtain a Special Use Permit.

That's incredible and its misconceptions like this that cause park managers to be less than receptive to geocaching.

I noticed that in the paragraph before that they also ban Hash House Harrriers, which means it's illegal to run through the park with a group of friends. The are singled out because they mark their route with a little dusting of flour (Oh my gawd!) but mining is OK in national parks. Go figure.

Edited by briansnat

Back in the woods with Ranger Rick and Ranger Jim…Shhh, let’s listen in…

“Rick, what a mess out in the Redwood Forest area this morning. One of the road graders belonging to Green Planet Strip Mining Corporation was knocking down some trees to start a new road up to the mining area and ran over some metal box. It got jammed in the transaxial somehow forcing the grader to swing to the left and flip over into the gulch flattening two deer that were munching on some sweet vegetation. What a bloody mess!”

“Where did the metal box come from, Jim?”

“Well, it turned out to be an ammo can.”

“No kiddin’. Since when has the army been doing maneuvers in National Forest Preserves? Don’t they know how sensitive our areas are?”

“Well, it turns out it wasn’t from the Army. When we opened it, it contained some McToys, miniature bibles, and a little spiral notebook - one of them geocaches we let be hid a few months ago.”

“Well, that’s the last one we’ll let hide, fer sure. I knew them cachers were going to cause trouble. Now they knocked over a construction truck, killing a couple of Bambi’s and who knows how much damage they’ve done to the soil with all that oil and gas spilling out all over the place!”