Dead Horses, And A Big Club

Bloencustoms

What are some of the topics that keep coming up over and over again? We're all familiar with the "what kind of GPS'r do you use" threads. Let's see some examples of such threads. Some of them keep reappearing for obvious reasons, others just won't die. Perhaps by reviewing all of them, we'll remeber why they died off in the first place. :huh:

Not sure, but it's possible this thread is a repeat as well. ;)

As someone stupid enough to volunteer to read each and every thread in both the Getting Started and Geocaching Topics forums, I am perhaps qualified to offer a list of repeat topics:

"What do you carry in your backpack?"

"How do I find coordinates for a street address?"

"I heard they might turn Selective Availability back on"

"Free Hiking Staff for Your [favorite Approver / favorite Avatar / lucky raffle winner]"

"What is a good item to leave in a cache?"

"Why can't people trade fairly? / "Why are caches filled with junk?"

"I am having trouble downloading waypoints"

"What is your signature item?" / "Here's my idea for a signature item"

"I am looking for another geocacher in [YOUR TOWN HERE]"

"Help me log the Where's in a Name? cache"

"Searching for [iNSERT OBSCURE COMPLEX SEARCH LOGIC HERE]" (then wait for "premium members can do this" replies and "Watcher can do this" replies)

"Geocaching is bad for the environment" (must be the user's first post)

"How do I change my [AVATAR, TAGLINE, TITLE, UNDERPANTS]?"

"Going geocaching with your [KID, DOG, HAMSTER, SPOUSE]"

"Congrats to [iNSERT OBSESSED GEOCACHER NAME HERE] on their [X00th] find"

As someone stupid enough to volunteer to read each and every thread in both the Getting Started and Geocaching Topics forums, I am perhaps qualified to offer a list of repeat topics:

"What do you carry in your backpack?"

"How do I find coordinates for a street address?"

"I heard they might turn Selective Availability back on"

"Free Hiking Staff for Your [favorite Approver / favorite Avatar / lucky raffle winner]"

"What is a good item to leave in a cache?"

"Why can't people trade fairly? / "Why are caches filled with junk?"

"I am having trouble downloading waypoints"

"What is your signature item?" / "Here's my idea for a signature item"

"I am looking for another geocacher in [YOUR TOWN HERE]"

"Help me log the Where's in a Name? cache"

"Searching for [iNSERT OBSCURE COMPLEX SEARCH LOGIC HERE]" (then wait for "premium members can do this" replies and "Watcher can do this" replies)

"Geocaching is bad for the environment" (must be the user's first post)

"How do I change my [AVATAR, TAGLINE, TITLE, UNDERPANTS]?"

"Going geocaching with your [KID, DOG, HAMSTER, SPOUSE]"

"Congrats to [iNSERT OBSESSED GEOCACHER NAME HERE] on their [X00th] find"

You forgot, Hey! Why did you close my thread/delete my post/edit my word? Are you some kind of fudging icehole? ;)

I bet you get that a lot.... B):huh:;):D

Funny you bring up this topic today.

I keep seeing users ask questions that the answer is easy to find themself's.

I have finally found the solution to answer for them.

I ask the question on google. I then post the link with the results so they can then find there answer.

Or I do a forum search the same way and post the link so can go through all the returns and again answer there own question.

I think it is better then markwelling them.

:huh:

Topics that keep coming up.

The mods should be consistant in thread closing.

Cache approval rules and my cache.

What GPS should I get.

My first hide.

I'm new!

TPTB Suck

TPTB Are Great.

Whiners suck.

Lame Caches.

McToys and Junk in caches. (Trading Down)

Where Can I find my local group.

Approvers are not consistant.

Humor in one form or another.

The forums suck (regulars should just die.)

Cache maintenance.

Abandoned caches.

I can't figure out how to make a waypoint/use my GPS.

Which PDA do I buy.

What software do I use.

Great GPS Customer Servcie.

Poor GPS Customer Service.

Forum Suicides.

Other cache sites.

Cache listing HTML.

Off topic area?

Topics by Criminal.

Recent repeating topics.

Whats with the Warn thing?

Heavy handed forum moderation.

Can we get our sigs back?

Why can't forum dissidents take no for an answer?

Soon to be repeating topic

How do I get my warn% down?

I missed more than a few. They repeat because there is more than one angle to an issue. They repeat because newbies come into their own and become regulars and old regulars drop out of the rotation.

All that and I only duplicated about two things on Criminals list.

Edited by Renegade Knight

umm.....I always thought my contests were popular. Now I've found that I have made it in the top 5 of an annoying list. :huh:

El Diablo

Another one of my favorites:

"What is the proper geocaching etiquette? I was out geocaching the other day and I saw another geocacher. I didn't know if I was allowed to talk to them or say hi."

Why do some people think that we are a secret society and that any acknowledgement of other caches outside of these forums is punishable by death? :huh:

I dont believe that haveing multiple contests qualifys you as annoying. It is just an example of a thread that we have seen a few times. I dont think anyone would say it was annoying

I certainly dont think it is

Definitely not annoying!

(BTW, Keystone Approver just said it's a list of repeated topics, not mentioning the word annoying either! :huh: )

And then there's this:

Was treibt Ihr eigentlich, wenn ihr nicht gerade mit dem Klappspaten im Wald Verdacht erregt? 

I don't even know what that says and I'm tired of seeing it!

Literally: (according to the big 'G')

Which drives it actually, if you do not excite straight with the folding spade in the forest suspicion?

I thought it was an encryted clue.... :huh:

umm.....I always thought my contests were popular. Now I've found that I have made it in the top 5 of an annoying list. ;)

El Diablo

It’s annoying that you’re so sensitive!

But we love you just the same. :huh:

I dont believe that haveing multiple contests qualifys you as annoying. It is just an example of a thread that we have seen a few times. I dont think anyone would say it was annoying

I certainly dont think it is

Definitely not annoying!

(BTW, Keystone Approver just said it's a list of repeated topics, not mentioning the word annoying either! :huh: )

I know Keystone didn't say it was annoying...I did. I believe that this thread has an undertone about annoying topics that keep popping up. I know I find a lot of them annoying.

With that said. I think we should be fair to the newer members that join our ranks on a daily basis. Is it really fair or polite to Markwell them? Seems kind of impersonal to me. Maybe they have a whole new take on an old subject, or maybe they have a question that wasn't covered in the old thread.

If a new member wants to ask a tired old question, let's not give them a tired old reply.

BTW...that was a tongue-in-cheek reply to Keystone's post. However he is banned from all of my future contest. ;)

El Diablo

BTW...that was a tongue-in-cheek reply to Keystone's post. However he is banned from all of my future contest. ;)

El Diablo

Fine. I hope you enjoy posting in just the forums where I don't have moderator powers. :huh:

I quess I could go post in the Belgium forums. ;) Maybe if I offered them one of my "oh no. Not another free hiking staff" I could wake them up. No one has posted there in months.

El Diablo

Newbie topics don't bother me at all. The answers to the same questions change over time as things evolve, new GPS's come out and so forth.

Newbie regulars brining up a new controversial topic of the week are what forum life is about. Topic Churn keeps the forums fresh even if it's everything anew.

Every now and then someone gets in a new never before controversial topic and a breath of fresh air sweeps through the forums as we have to invent new arguments.

Speaking of arguments. If we could only post one reply to a topic, that would sure make everyone think before they shot off their mouth.

The OT forum thing has been done to death and beaten into dust. The dust has been gathered up and pressed into molds and then beaten to dust again.

I wonder how many "McPosters" (like me) would post on an Off-Topic Forum here if your little post counter sat idle because your posts don't count while you're in there? After all, you're not furthering the sport in an OT forum.

Posts in the texasgeocaching.com "Other Stuff" forum don't count. Not many people post there as a result. I think that was a pretty smart policy.

I still post there, but then I don't give a hoot about post numbers.

Sn ;):huh: gans