Waterproof Stash Note.

leatherman

Others may have done this, or something similar.

I've seen these Rite in the rain papers before. Just saw them again and the description describes using toner based printing or copying makes water proof maps routes or, of course, stash notes.

Rite in the rain printer paper.

They also have rite in the rain note pads. A little smaller than the GC.com logs.

Seeing this paper again is making me price a laser printer. :(

I bought some of the National Geographic Adventure paper. I should also mention that I use ink jet cartridges that I buy for $3 each instead of the $30 each retail. So I wasn't holding out much hope of the ink/paper combination being waterproof.

Well, I was wrong. I let in soak in water to see what would happen, and.....nothing. The image was completely stable.

It says it's called "Teslin, Synthetic Print Sheet". About $20 for 25 sheets. I notice it also says "Not intended for use in laser printers."

If it works with my cheap inks, you shouldn't have any problem using it for stash notes, maps, etc.

Highly recommended.

Edited by geospotter
Has anyone tried those generic inkjet refill kits, where you inject the ink into your existing cartridges, on an HP printer? Just wondering if image quality suffers in any way.

My mom's company used those briefly. Image quality wasn't much of a problem, but the refills didn't last nearly as long as the original ink cartridge, and they ended up paying a bit more in the long run for the refills.

Has anyone tried those generic inkjet refill kits, where you inject the ink into your existing cartridges, on an HP printer? Just wondering if image quality suffers in any way.

Yeah. The problem is that the NEW cartridge comes with a NEW print head also. You can generally re-fill the old one a limited number of times before you start to loose crispness. That said, I would think that different makers inks would make a difference to the head wear also.

Note that HP say DO NOT use third party media - OK, that is obviously a commercial thing with possible factual basis. However, Cannon actually don't have a problem with customers using media from other sources. They actually say so in some of the manuals too.

I did, until I found the cheap generic cartridges ($3 - see above), then it just wasn't worth it anymore.

I use them primarily in my Epson printer. Epsons do NOT replace the printhead with the cartridge so if the inks clog your head it's bad. But I've used them for several years with absolutely no problems. Every once and a while I will throw an Epson cartridge in to keep things in order.

I print a lot of photos so they have to be pretty good. The colors are virtually identical and the black ink is much better in the generic cartridges! Much deeper blacks.

Check out computer shows in your area and give them a try.

And, to stay on topic, I use them to print my topo maps. :(

For a waterproof cache note, I just print on regular paper. I usually do two notes on a page so it can be cut to fit in an ammo box without being folded. Then I go to Kinko's and run the cut-down sheets through a laminator so I can get about 1/4 inch of plastic around the paper all the way around. They have cutters there to cut the laminated sheets apart and scissors to round the corners. One sheet is about $1.50, and I get two cache notes (four or so for smaller sandwich container type caches). They are extremely durable and can be set on top of the goodies so it is the first thing seen when the cache is opened. Pretty good for about $0.75 or so a cache.

Edited by mtn-man
I also use the National Geo. Adventure Paper.

Ditto, but its not really paper. It seems to be plastic, but is waay better tha Rite In The Rain. RINTR allows you to write on the page when its wet, but this log shows the difference between RITR and regular paper when its been wet for some time. After reading this, I'd ditch RITR and go with National Geographic Adventure Paper.

I will have to try the NG paper, but I usually just print the stash note sized to fit a one gallon ziplock or sandwich bag, depending on the cache size, and stuff it in there with a little clear packing tape on the end to keep folks from readily pulling it out and using the bag for something else. On smaller caches I get the self adhesive laminating sheets and cut to size.

For a waterproof cache note, I just print on regular paper. I usually do two notes on a page so it can be cut to fit in an ammo box without being folded. Then I go to Kinko's and run the cut-down sheets through a laminator so I can get about 1/4 inch of plastic around the paper all the way around. They have cutters there to cut the laminated sheets apart and scissors to round the corners. One sheet is about $1.50, and I get two cache notes (four or so for smaller sandwich container type caches). They are extremely durable and can be set on top of the goodies so it is the first thing seen when the cache is opened. Pretty good for about $0.75 or so a cache.

I do exactly the same thing. I use a great shareware program called FinePrint (I think it's available at www.fineprint.com), which intercepts anything I print, and allows me to merge 2 pages onto 1 piece of paper (or even 4, or 8). It's great for the cache notice, as well as for printing out cache pages I take with me when I cache. Then I laminate them at Office Depot, which does a page for about a buck.

I've been thinking about laminating FTF certificates to put in my caches too.