Opinions?

Polgara

Looking to upgrade from my etrex, and i'm considering the Rino 110 or the 120. Right now I'm favoring the 110, as I don't feel i need all the mapping features, the basic difference between the 2 is the memory storage.

I'm looking to hear from cachers that use either one of these, what do you like about them, what do you dislike, is it worth the extra bucks for the extra memory storage in the 120, etc., any comments appreciated!

I'm not certain, however I think the 110 only has a base map. There is no possibility for changes.

The main feature of the Rino is the positional data transmitted over the radio. You have to have two to use the feature. If there is a possibility of buying a second Rino, then get which ever so you can play around with it.

I have the 120 and I have TOPO loaded on it. I think that you can't have to much data on them. The more reference lines/points the better.

A serious question here, but is the basic Rino really un upgrade (for you, which is all that matters) over any of the Etrex? I know adding a FRS radio is nice to have in one unit, but I'd get a separate FRS. Having used the Rino 110 (as part of a PlayTime, Inc. Geoteaming event), the sound from even a $30 FRS radio is nicer and clearer than the Rino 110.

That is true. Many claim the typical FRS units have much cleaner audio. Some of that is probably due to the microphone in the Rino, which was designed to meet the tradtional GPS waterproof-ness standard. Reports are that the hands-free headset improves this issue.

Then there's the case of position reporting. You can only get that with the Rino solution. I guess something to consider is if anyone else you'll be with has a Rino. The position reporting feature doesn't shine with single unit.

George

I have the rino 120 which was an upgrade from the yellow Etrex. The extra memory in the 120 (VS. the 110) is real nice especially if you download the topo and road maps. The 120 already has all the major roads thru and around a city but if you want the additional coverage (secondary roads) then the memory can handle it. You will want the data cable which comes with the 120, or buy one for $40 for the 110. Makes downloading info possible especially from GC.com (waypoints). I like having the FRS/GMRS radio and GPS all in one. One less thing to carry and it works with all radios. I do NOT have a problem with audio clarity nor does the other user (also a 120). The mic was changed on this years model due to complaints. The external antenna, I feel, receives greater signal strength then any internal antenna especially under dense leaf coverage. Position reporting is another great feature and fun! Not sure if the 110 offers that . There are several features that are different between the two, not just the memory amount. I really don't dislike anything about my 120. Choose which ever is best and affordable for you. But...perhaps save a little more and get the 120. :ph34r: Good Luck!

Rich

I've been really happy with my 120. I have decided to change my GPS solution to a bluetooth model that works with my PDA. This will work better for my daily travels and gives me a really cool geek toy. When I do upgrade I was going to get an ETREX for a backup unit.

If your interested maybe we can trade units with you making up the difference.

We've got a pair of RINO 110's and really enjoy them for geocaching and benchmark hunting. The map page zooms down to 20 feet which makes it great for following a GOTO right to the immediate cache area. Satellite reception and lock has always been very good, even under heavy canopy. The radio feature is also very handy/usefull when separated and we are coordinating the actual "finding" of the cache/benchmark. I download tracks, waypoints, cache locations, and benchmarks to the PC using the USGS Topo Series of maps...don't have the need for maps on the GPSr itself. Data cables are readily available on eBay for $20.00 or less if you watch the auctions closely. We highly recommend the 110 if you don't have the need for on-board maps.

I've been reading all these replies so far, really great info.

As far as the radio is concerned, I already have 3 motorola talkabouts, which are heavily used by several people in the family for other sports, not just me. So its not necessary to have the radio unit, I just thought it would be nice to have the GPS and radio as one piece...especially since i lost one of the radios last summer. However I am concerned with some of the comments made about the radio in the Rino not being clear, as the radios i have now are very clear.

However I am concerned with some of the comments made about the radio in the Rino not being clear, as the radios i have now are very clear.

That's what receipts are for. :ph34r: There are reports here from those with the 110s and 120s that have experienced good sound. I'd give it a try, and if it's not what you want, exchange/return it. The 110 I used may have been an original model... most likely was a fairly early release and I doubt PlayTime Inc replaces them frequently as they are very rugged.

I've been really happy with my Rino 120. I had shipped it back to Garmin a few months ago (they had some service recall to improve the radio) and honestly don't use the radio feature much.

That said, it's been a very sturdy and reliable unit and I've been extremely happy with the feature set. I wish I knew more folks that had 'em - as they'd be especially handy for skiing (where you could use the positioning feature to find your friends for lunch!).

Good luck - I'd recommend the 120.

Haven't had much experience with either, actually only briefly with my cousin's 110. My contribution to the question is this: A few have mentioned buying the data cables. If you're looking for that type of equipment, try gpsgeeks. They have great prices on cables, software, GPSr's, etc. I've used them for several of my toys, and they are fantastic and very customer-friendly. Check them out, you'll be pleased that you did.

I wish I knew more folks that had 'em - as they'd be especially handy for skiing (where you could use the positioning feature to find your friends for lunch!).

Good luck - I'd recommend the 120.

That's the down-fall.

I have two Kenwood FRS, three Motorola GMRS for the same reason. No one has their own radios. I might have to invest in another Rino just to enjoy the positional transmission.

No one has their own radios. I might have to invest in another Rino just to enjoy the positional transmission.

A Christmas Wish:

That Garmin would offer a nice rebate to anyone buying two or more Rinos...one for themselves, and the other as a gift for a friend.

George

Edited by nincehelser
That Garmin would offer a nice rebate to anyone buying two or more Rinos...one for themselves, and the other as a gift for a friend.

If it wasn't so late to get that placed and advertised, I'd urge you to contact Garmin's marketing department. That sounds like a heck of an idea, but I don't think Garmin has ever go the rebate/deep discount route.

as I don't feel i need all the mapping features

Mapping is one of those features that people view as a luxury, but once you have it you wonder how you lived without it. Mapping makes it much easier to find the best route to drive to the cache area. Following the arrow is great, but it doesn't tell you if the road you're on takes you to where you want to go.

I also find mapping to be very useful for the actual cache hunt. It can tell you which side of a river the cache is on, so you can start out on the correct side. It can tell you if the cache is at the top, or bottom of a cliff and it also tells you what lies between you and the cache. A basic GPS tells you the cache is "thataway" but it doesn't tell you that a river, ravine, mountain, or cliff lie between you and the cache.

I know some of this can be accomplished using topo and road maps, but it's so much easier having it on the screen right in front of you and your GPS lets you know exactly where you are on that map in relation to everything.

Edited by briansnat
Mapping is one of those features that people view as a luxury, but once you have it you wonder how you lived without it.

Ditto to that!

My first GPS didn't have mapping. I didn't think I needed it.

Then I bought a mapping GPS for non-mapping reasons. I then discovered that having maps is really, really nice, and I don't ever want to go back.

Even the base maps in the units are very useful.

George

If I had it to do over again, I would have gotten the 120 instead of the 110 I bought a year ago. I later did go out and buy the datacable, which put me within about $40 total of the cost of the 120.

Having said that, I've been quite pleased with the performance and abilities of the 110. The location reporting feature from other Rino users and the ability to "beam" waypoints is really a handy feature. Yeah, the radio is hard to hear unless you crank up the volume due to the waterproofness, but I'm glad for that since I've dropped it in a creek on more than one occasion.

Since I've gone with pocket queries, I've been playing with Delorme USA Handheld on the PDA, so that works fine for mapping.

Bottom line - can't go wrong with either one, really, just depends on what you want.