Gps And Law Enforcement...

Alan2

I might be wrong, but I think we're running out of steam explaining why caches are or aren't litter or abandoned property and why posters and mods should or shouldn't take timeout and sit in the corner.

So here's something to get our fertile minds going again in a different area.

What clever uses can you come up with for using GPS's in law enforcement? This is branstorming and the rules for brainstorming is you're not allowed to call the other guy's idea idiotic. Just allow you mind to wonder and cross connect to the his or hers or your own. Seemingly nutty solutions often contain the kernel of a great concept.

Have fun. Remember, no flaming. ;)

Alan

edit: clarity

Edited by Alan2

To get it started, here's one of my own.

Every police car in the city has a GPS that is regularly polled to note it's location on a big screen map of the city to help cut off the bank robber as he flees the bank. SUpervisor can then assign the proper car to the proper route to cut him off.

To get it started, here's one of my own.

Every police car in the city has a GPS that is regularly polled to note it's location on a big screen map of the city to help cut off the bank robber as he flees the bank.  SUpervisor can then assign the proper car to the proper route to cut him off.

Yes, now if I could only get the positions of the cops in the area to show up on MY GPS unit.... ;)

Edited by TEAM 360
I remember reading somewhere recently that some police forces are doing that already as well as the ambulances in NYC are now using something similar in order for the dispatcher to reroute them to avoid traffic jams.

Yup, been done for some time now. Not everywhere, as the systems are a bit expensive for a small town police force or such. Larger departments are using a system that allows them to track each and every vehicle wherever it might be.

Needless to say, it also lends itself to abuse by heavy handed supervisors.... so not EVERYONE is pleased with the new systems.....hehehehehe.

;):P;)

In Sweden has people started to use GPS to avoid the long arm of law...

The police are placing a lot of digitalcameras along the road, that has equipment to sense which speed you are driving. If you drive to fast, the camera takes a pic of the driver and you are caught. These cameras are mounted on a metalpole next to the road.

Drivers who has GPS in their car has started to make waypoints with symbols where the cameras are placed, so when they are out driving can they see on the GPS is there is a camera along the road they are driving, and where it is.

And I think that soon can you download waypoint-file with all the positions of the cameras, that kind of information doesn't take long time before share with others.

I happen to have done some work with Fire Departments and Police Forces in Ohio. Cleveland PD is currently using a GREAT system that uses GPS, along with a few other really amazing concepts.

I would like to see every fireman/swat team member set up with some tracking device so that commanders can watch the action take place and know where their people are. The US Military already does this, but not with GPS.

When I left LE full time, They had an interface cable that went into the in car cameras to give location data on the videotape as well.

I like the idea of GPS location of vehicles as when with the Texas Highway Patrol, we worked one man units in the rural areas. Easy way to locate an officer you can't get ahold of in an emergency situation.

There will always be negatives to your boss always knowing where you are but if you are doing the right thing, it won't matter.

Not law enforcement exactly but enforcment just the same.

My daughters prom dates car should have a GPS type device attached. When it stops where it shouldn't my buddy in the force can pay a visit and either crack skulls or let them know that your friendly neighborhood peace officer is on duty and will be swinging by later to make sure everthing is ok.

At least one police department nearby is resisting it. That department also has massive operating inefficiencies and tends to smack citizens around if they need help with traffic issues. (On the other hand, it keeps at least one Dunkin' Donuts in business, and the chief has his own private car at taxpayer expense.) ;)

Edited by Team Og Rof A Klaw

One Kansas town already has the GPS tracking for it's law enforcement vehicles. The sarge was quite upset to find a large red blip representing 3/4 of the force congregating each evening by the local high school at a time that corresponded exactly with cheerleader practice on the front lawn. Investigations are pending, and there are job openings posted!

errrrrr, ummmm............ :P geoCaching :P

I heard an article on NPR about the use of GPR and Cell phone to track delivery trucks. I also looked at the new Rino, it has GMRS / FRS so that two units or even base units, can track each other. This is great in the Ski areas where the Ski Patrol each have them. They know where each other are and in the case of an avalanche they can locate the downed skier.

I've got a truck the company lets me use (phone company) it has the ABILITY to receive / transmit GPS information. This COULD allow them to locate the closed tech in the event of a fiber optic cable cut.

Those paranoid type thought, think they can track which donut shop you stop at and which route you take on your "lunch" break, then supposedly take disciplinary action should the "location" not be in your designated area....sheesh....

To me its just a new way of following or tailing you. If your doing your job, or close to it, you got nothing to worry about.