Gps & Laptop Question

Scoobie10

I've seen a few people mention connecting their GPSr to a laptop in order to use it in the car for mapping. How is this done? I have a Garmin Etrex Vista and I also have Mapsource Metroguide USA. Am I able to use the cable and sofeware that I already have or do I need something more? Thanks for the help.

Well, you connect the cable to the computer and the GPS, and turn them both on. Then you run the software. This is assuming that:

A. The cable is the proper one to attach to both your computer and GPS.

B. Your software is capable of working with your GPS.

C. All items are working properly.

D. All items are speaking the same language (GARMIN, NEMA, etc).

I use a Garmin E-Trex Vista, standard Garmin cable, and ExpertGPS, VisualGPS, and National Geographic TOPO. No problem at all getting it all to talk. I use Win-98, and WIN-XP.

Are you having a problem, or just looking for reassurance? If a problem, be specific and I/we will try to be more specific on the answer.

Good luck. :)

"Are you having a problem, or just looking for reassurance? If a problem, be specific and I/we will try to be more specific on the answer."

No problems, I haven't tried anything yet. I just didn't see any documentation with the Vista or the Mapsource software that said I could do this. I thought maybe I needed something else. I'm going to play with it for a while and see what I come up with. Thanks for the tips.

If thats the "basic" software that came with the unit, chances are pretty high that the software doesn't support "real time" mapping. REAL TIME mapping is the term I see used in reference to what your looking for.There are numerous programs available, I personally have Delorme Street Atlas 2003, a Magellan GPS, and an Hp laptop.

I picked up the software from e-bay for $50, and chose it simply on the recommendation of a co-worker who has it. Some things good, some bad.

For LOTS of info, the GPS units and software forum is great. Feel free to keep threading here too, far as I'm concerned.

You have everything you need.

Take your GPS/LapTop outside, plug then in, boot them up and look at the Mapsource map. You should see a red arrow. That red arrow is you.

Good luck

I'd concur with Harrald, but would add one thing. In Mapsource, there's a tab on the left side of the screen marked GPS. Select that tab and you'll see a button to turn "TRACKING ON". (it may or may not be on by default - I always check it). If it says "Tracking is Disabled" - your location will not automatically be displayed.

As Harrald already said, when tracking is on (and your GPS has sattelite lock) - that red arrow is you.

Good luck!

Wow! I just thought that data cable was for transmitting data to/from the eTrex Legend. Trying to hook it to my laptop now, but my Streets & Trips 2002 will only allow me to do the NMEA in/out on COM2. Since my laptops port is at COM1, it won't see it (obviously).

Any ideas why S&T's 2002 would only allow for COM2?

Trying to change it now on my laptop to see what happens.

Any insight is greatly appreciated.

Bozz

Wow! I just thought that data cable was for transmitting data to/from the eTrex Legend. Trying to hook it to my laptop now, but my Streets & Trips 2002 will only allow me to do the NMEA in/out on COM2. Since my laptops port is at COM1, it won't see it (obviously).

Any ideas why S&T's 2002 would only allow for COM2?

Trying to change it now on my laptop to see what happens.

Any insight is greatly appreciated.

Bozz

Go to 'Tools/GPS/Configure GPS receiver' and you will be able to select which port you wish to use.

I use Street Atlas and have used both an eTex Venture and a Rhino 110 on it and it works AWESOME!!!!!!!!!! If your interested in more info, please feel free to e-mail me, I would be happy to walk you thru it step by step. You may already have the info you needed tho, but just in case, shoot me the e-mail. :D

Just found my problem.... my Hotsync Manager was tying up my COM1 port on my laptop (for no reason since I sync via USB). So, disabled it and now it works. This is pretty cool, never thought of this aspect of it.

A couple years ago I bought the Delorme GPS receiver and software, loaded it on my laptop, only to find that it took soooo long to acquire the satellites that it would not be useful for my business travels. This brings a whole new prospective to navigation during caches/trips.

Bozz