The Century Club

DirtRunner

Hey Everyone.

On Friday November 7, 2003 I hit my 100th cache! ;)

I know, I know, that may not be such a big deal for you old timers out there but this was a goal I had my eye on for some time now. I swear, sometimes I thought I would never make it.

Looking back now, I have the following observations that have served me well over the last 100 caches;

1. Water and Jerky…Don’t leave home without them

2. Just because the GPS says go north, doesn’t mean GO NORTH RIGHT NOW!

3. Most people don’t bushwhack 300m to place a cache. Stick to the path, it’ll get you there eventually.

4. Never Geocache in your favorite dress shoes

5. Sometimes you’re just gonna have to get dirty, wet or bit.

6. 700m isn’t nearly as far on foot as it sounds

7. Always carry fresh batteries

8. A Good Mag Hand and a Half Flashlight will save you in ways you never expected.

9. My only regret is that I did not get a chance to meet more of you on the trail.

10. When the woods are silent is the time when they speak to me the most.

11. Watch out for sticks and branches about groin high

For all of you still trying, don’t give up, eventually you will get there if you do not give up. For those of you for whom this is old hat, let us see your mapped finds and hear your pearls of wisdom. It’ll serve as inspiration for my next 100 finds.

62232_2500.jpg

This has all my finds except for 5 that are too geographically dispersed to see and those caches now archived.

Thanks for the time

DirtRunner

Congrats Dirtrunner! I just did my 112th today at lunch hour (learning from Algonquin Bound who is sure to pass me sometime very soon!)

I have to thank a few local people :P who allowed me to tag along on some trips. Couldn't have done it on my own.

I just figured it out and I'm averaging one a day, hmmm better up the rate !

Congratulations DirtRunner!

We bagged our 100th find on Nov 11th at Pier Pressure and look forward to the next 100! Our first cache was on May 17th of this year, which puts us at 1 cache every 1.78 days.

We were quite proud of ourselves and hope to eventually find as many as this über cacher. I wonder what the max number of finds is for one cacher anyway?

I concur with your observations, only would add this:

12) The chances of bumping into a surprised geomuggle is directly proportional to the speed and noise made crashing out of the bush and back on to the trail.

Edited by The Wet Coast Explorers

We were quite proud of ourselves and hope to eventually find as many as this über cacher. I wonder what the max number of finds is for one cacher anyway?

I think the honor of über über cacher would go to CCCooperAgency, with BruceS who you quoted as being in 2nd.

I think they must have way too much time on their hands, or I guess they just really enjoy doing something that we all do here anyways.

Congratulations dirtrunner.

I passed my 100th cache on a cycling trip last summer. Now I'm debating which of two goals to set for myself next. Either 200 caches by next fall, or else all caches within 50km of home. Since I do most of my travelling by bus and bicycle, I think the distance one would be the most fun :)

Congratulations DirtRunner!! I completely understand your excitement. I hit a milestone of my own today (150th) and it feels good. I know what you mean about it not being much compared with the 500+ that some people have. No worries. They were all there at one point. I think it's a big event. :) I'm going to have a nice tot of rum to celebrate my find, and I will raise a glass to you for yours!

Congrats! Considering I've been at it for 3 years and just got past my 100th, I'd say it is a huge milestone :)

This is exactly the kind of post I would expect on the sub-board I have proposed... one titled 'Milestones' that would fit under the 'GPS Adventures' section.

I'm hoping Jeremy will give it some thought. It's a great way to share our triumphs and discuss how we got there.

Here is my original thread. Contribute if you like the idea.

Congratulations DirtRunner!! I completely understand your excitement. I hit a milestone of my own today (150th) and it feels good. I know what you mean about it not being much compared with the 500+ that some people have. No worries. They were all there at one point. I think it's a big event. :D I'm going to have a nice tot of rum to celebrate my find, and I will raise a glass to you for yours!

Congrats DirtRunner on your 100th, and GC on 150! :D As one of the 'Old Timers' :) (which I still have trouble considering myself as), I'd like to remind you guys that when we started (back in the Stone Age :) ), we had to WAIT for new caches to come up, and it was a MONSTROUS accomplishment to get 40 or 50. Nowadays, there are so many to choose from, that it's tough to keep up, and people are getting 100 and 200 at the drop of a hat! Congrats you guys!! :D