Turned down on permission for cache placement.

I am in the planning stages for a large movie themed multicache I had wanted to place one of the legs at the entrance gate of the local drive in, I thought since the area is completely deserted most of the time it would be an excellent place. The theater is not fenced and there are not any no trespassing signs, however since it is a active business I decided it would be in everyone's best interest to get permission for the hide. I have spoke with the owner on several occasions and thought I would have no problem securing permission. I was in for a surprise as he turned me down flat. His reasoning was two fold. First he was concerned about drawing too many people to the theater while it was closed. Second he was concerned that there would be too many reports of suspicious activity in the area during off hours requiring him or his employees to have to make the drive to check things out.

Of course I will acquiesce to his requests and instead use the local abandoned theater downtown that is now owned by the city.

My question is; How many of you have been turned down for permission on a cache placement? And, how do you approach people when asking for permission to improve your odds of success?

I recently planned to place a cache at the site of a beautiful little rural church/graveyard that I had discovered and visited several times while bicycling. I had met the pastor a couple of times, and because the church was the oldest church in the county, I thought it would make a great cache site.

I prepared a container, and armed with a sample cache page and standard cover letter, I proceeded to aquire permission for the cache.

The pastor related that it was not a good place because of recent vandalism and the fact that anyone walking around the remote church would arouse the suspicion of neighboring residents.

Of course, I complied with the pastor's wishes.

Three weeks later the church (built in 1829) was burned. Arson is suspected.

Here is the newspaper article.

==============="If it feels good...do it"================

**(the other 9 out of 10 voices in my head say: "Don't do it.")**

Runner_one, take a picture of the drive in theatre with your GPSr and log a find for the locationless cache for drive-in theatres.

Otherwise, it is too bad that the owner wouldn't go for it, but he has a point, you went about it the right way, and you simply missed out on this one. Don't let it spoil your fun. icon_smile.gif

Ever consider what our dogs must think of us? I mean, here we come back from a grocery store with the most amazing haul -- chicken, pork, half a cow. They must think we're the greatest hunters on earth!

http://www.geocities.com/cacheinon

Agreed...Sept1c seems to have some anger issues... icon_biggrin.gif

The kingdom of heaven is like treasure hidden in a field. When a man found it, he hid it again, and then in his joy went and sold all he had and bought that field.---Matthew 13:44

Matt & Julia

To view our online geocaching diary/blog, click here

I wish outer space guys would conquer the Earth and make people their pets, because I'd like to have one of those little beds with my name on it.

- Jack Handey (aka Jack Handy)

quote:
Originally posted by sept1c_tank:

...The pastor related that it was not a good place because of recent vandalism and the fact that anyone walking around the remote church would arouse the suspicion of neighboring residents.

Of course, I complied with the pastor's wishes.

Three weeks later the church (built in 1829) was burned. Arson is suspected.

http://www.indystar.com/print/articles/8/058216-1918-009.html is the newspaper article.

===============_"If it feels good...do it"_================

**_(the other 9 out of 10 voices in my head say: "Don't do it.")_**

Funny, I've heard police comment that they like geocachers because we are out and about. Where we are the normal riff raff isn't was the logic. But hey, that's only the police. Not the pastor.

Pastors don't have to be logical icon_wink.gif

I had a similar "turn down" from a member of a local cemetery board. They've had a lot of vandalism in this particular cemetery and didn't want any attention drawn to the fact that it's there. I explained that geocachers were not causing the vandalism, but this just didn't matter...oh well.

I wonder if they'll be going after the guys who list the cemetery on their "Ghost hunter" websites too.

Bret

"The kingdom of heaven is like treasure hidden in a field.

When a man found it, he hid it again." Mt. 13:44

quote:
I had a similar "turn down" from a member of a local cemetery board. They've had a lot of vandalism in this particular cemetery and didn't want any attention drawn to the fact that it's there. I explained that geocachers were not causing the vandalism, but this just didn't matter...oh well.

quote:
The pastor related that it was not a good place because of recent vandalism and the fact that anyone walking around the remote church would arouse the suspicion of neighboring residents.

Actually, geocachers can be another set of eyes to watch over the cemetery. I'm sure the fact that law abiding citizens are periodically visiting the cemetery at all hours, would cut down on vandalism and increase the probability of vandals being caught.

"Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day" - Dave Barry

We've backed off of placing caches in several local areas because we're afraid that our small town law enforcement officers have the attitudes that would have them rousting any geocachers "lurking" around public areas late at night (read 9:00 p.m.).

Wow - was that politically correct speak or what? icon_cool.gif

"Geocaching expands your horizons - not your butt!"